Talk

Advanced search

To have just got 'lefty Lucy, tighty righty'?

(203 Posts)
passemoilevin Sat 09-Dec-17 22:19:58

Lefty LOOSEY! Not Lucy! I say it every time I'm unscrewing a screw. Never understood the whole Lucy thing until I just heard ant or Dec say it on IAC. Lightbulb moment!

Share your last similar ridiculously obvious realisation grin

Grimbles Sat 09-Dec-17 22:21:43

I often wondered what a bomsitit was whilst growing up.

Nomorechickens Sat 09-Dec-17 22:24:17

What on earth is a bomsitit then?

DramaAlpaca Sat 09-Dec-17 22:25:12

Looks like a bomb's hit it grin

Somerford Sat 09-Dec-17 22:26:57

What on earth is a bomsitit then?

Bomb's hit it. Something looks like a bomb has hit it when it's damaged or untidy.

cookielove Sat 09-Dec-17 22:27:24

I thought it was a "bomb site" meaning everything is a mess!

And

Lefty loosey righty tighty 😘

Givemeonereason Sat 09-Dec-17 22:28:55

I always thought the phrase was "a campers christmas" instead of "as camp as Christmas"
Never understood it until last year

MrsFoxPlus4 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:30:54

My papa used to shout “haw miss” at me when I was missbehaving I started telling people it was my name 😂

TathitiPete Sat 09-Dec-17 23:50:03

DH used to think hunger was the best source grin

And of course 'knowledge is power, France is bacon' courtesy of Reddit:

When I was young my father said to me:

"Knowledge is Power....Francis Bacon"

I understood it as "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon".

For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the second part and what was the surreal linkage between the two? If I said the quote to someone, "Knowledge is power, France is Bacon" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might say, "Knowledge is power" and I'd finish the quote "France is Bacon" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something very odd but thoughtfully agree.

I did ask a teacher what did "Knowledge is power, France is bacon" mean and got a full 10 minute explanation of the Knowledge is power bit but nothing on "France is bacon". When I prompted further explanation by saying "France is Bacon?" in a questioning tone I just got a "yes". at 12 I didn't have the confidence to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd never understand.

It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the penny dropped.

honeylulu Sat 09-Dec-17 23:58:18

When i was little I wondered what a "butterdream" was (from Row row row the boat). I thought it must be like a butterfly.

InDubiousBattle Sat 09-Dec-17 23:59:46

I thought you had to buy tepid water. I thought it was there with tonic water and sparkling water. I think I was about 22 at the time,

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 10-Dec-17 00:02:19

I didnt get the lefty loosely righty righty thing on I’m a celeb. I mean, once you get to the half past six position then you’re turning it to the right. Why don’t they just say anti-clockwise?

confused

ProseccoMamam Sun 10-Dec-17 00:08:47

I'd had a bank account and a debit card for 4 years until I realised that I could take money from any cash machine and not just the ones my bank card was from....blush

I also thought cash machines gave you free money until I was about 10. I thought you just got a card when you were an adult so you could pay your bills, oh I wish.

InDubiousBattle Sun 10-Dec-17 00:12:40

My dc definitely think that now Prosecco!

DramaAlpaca Sun 10-Dec-17 00:15:55

honeylulu same here about 'butterdream'!

My DM used to sing 'life is butterdream' and I didn't realise it was supposed to be 'life is but a dream' until I saw the words written down in a book after I had my own DC.

OccasionalNachos Sun 10-Dec-17 00:19:02

Alice in Wonderland, the Disney film version: “The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of other things...”

I thought the song referred to ‘ceiling wax’ for years. Until I was about 28.

OccasionalNachos Sun 10-Dec-17 00:20:29

It’s why reading is better than TV & film, I suppose. Although conversely there are several words learned from books that I mispronounced spectacularly as well...

chinam Sun 10-Dec-17 00:22:08

France is bacon grin grin

DiegoMadonna Sun 10-Dec-17 00:39:11

It's actually righty tighty, not tighty righty.

LeftyLucy Sun 10-Dec-17 00:43:32

Wait, what??

DiegoMadonna Sun 10-Dec-17 00:43:58

I thought it was a "bomb site" meaning everything is a mess

I'm guessing these are two variations on the same idiom. I've heard "like a bombsite" my whole life, and I've never heard anyone say "like a bombs hit it". Maybe it's regional.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombsite

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sun 10-Dec-17 00:49:24

It's righty tighty! Not tighty righty!

Your post has put me at risk of getting it all wrong in future! grin

Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Sun 10-Dec-17 00:49:52

It's righty tighty loosey left. Definitely.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Sun 10-Dec-17 00:50:15

Also....it's " lefty loosey"

Not loosey lefty!

gobster Sun 10-Dec-17 00:53:09

Ten Pin Bowling

Not

Tempin Bowling like I thought it was for many many many year, makes sense now there being ten pins and all blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: