Talk

Advanced search

To use AIBU for advice... just made up formula wrong!!

(16 Posts)
minniemummy0 Fri 08-Dec-17 01:37:40

I’ve just realised after baby has drunk 3oz that I’ve put 4oz of water with 5 scoops of powder. I was using Perfect Prep machine and we’re between 4oz and 5oz depending on if she’s breastfed (she’s mixed fed but it’s mostly for comfort I don’t have a lot of milk).

On the formula it says they can become unwell if you make it up wrong!!! sad

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 08-Dec-17 01:39:01

How old is baby?

minniemummy0 Fri 08-Dec-17 01:39:08

Meant to say I accidentally left the setting on 4oz and then put in a pre measured pot of 5 scoops which is how I made the mistake.

minniemummy0 Fri 08-Dec-17 01:39:26

She’s only seven weeks sad

Bananarama12 Fri 08-Dec-17 01:42:56

Don't worry just don't make a habit of it.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Fri 08-Dec-17 01:44:56

If it's too concentrated it can cause kidney damage, however, a once off 3oz is very unlikely to cause much harm. It's less than 100mls

minniemummy0 Fri 08-Dec-17 01:50:18

Oh feel awful. Have discarded that bottle and made up another for the last bit as she still wants to feed, I hope she’s ok.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 08-Dec-17 01:54:04

If it's any consolation, I work with teen mums and one of them did this deliberately to make her baby sleepy for weeks with no discernible effects. It's not great but the advice is probably aimed at repeated incidents.

I hope someone clever/qualified turns up soon.

planetclom Fri 08-Dec-17 02:09:55

When i was a student nurse our job on the maternity ward was to make up the feed.

You know those ridiculously small scoops they give you? There is a reason for that it's because of the "one for luck" or miscounting issue.
It ensures that the formula is not too concentrate unless You go bonkers so relax x

DarkDarkNight Fri 08-Dec-17 02:13:10

Don't panic, and don't feel bad. I'm sure your baby will be fine as other posters have said.

Most formula companies have 24/7 advice lines if you want to be really reassured.

TwoPoint Fri 08-Dec-17 02:17:31

I did this once. DC spat it up (in my hair) and was fine 30 seconds later.

ticketytock1 Fri 08-Dec-17 02:31:56

Relax it will be fine. The absolute worst thing that might happen is she may be a little constipated.if that happens give her some
Cool boiled water. Xx

Amanduh Fri 08-Dec-17 02:34:52

It's fine. Did it many a time in my sleep deprived newborn days!

Proudmummy9183 Fri 08-Dec-17 02:40:29

I've done this before, when I told my HV she said not to worry if it's a one off. It won't do any harm. At the time, as a precaution, I had just given a scoop less in the next feed to try and level it out and prevent ds becoming constipated. HV said that was fine too when we spoke the next day, although I'm not sure now if it was necessary hmm but certainly did him no harm and he pooped just as normal lol. Don't panic. Baby will be fine grin

Pengggwn Fri 08-Dec-17 05:22:02

She will be absolutely fine. They're tougher than they look.

Prusik Fri 08-Dec-17 05:25:15

Your baby will be fine. Mil once gave ds 8oz of water with 4 scoops of milk. That was a lot like the exorcist. Not good for a reflux baby blush he survived grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now