Advanced search

To be frustrated by the attitude of the doctor/wait for dermatologist?

(14 Posts)
whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:14:03

Firstly I am really sorry this is a bit of a rambling rant.

DH had a rash on the side of his knee that sprung up in September. We thought it was just skin irritation so got some cream for it and expected it to clear up. Instead it got worse - it went from a red blotchy patch to big swollen bubble like blister (sorry gross I know) that then started oozing pus and watery blood.

He went to the doctors, they said it was a skin infection, probably started from a bite or scratch. prescribed antibiotics and cream.
Finished antibiotics, took most of it down but a little blotch was left. Went back to the doctor for follow up as requested, and was given another course of antibiotics to get rid. Didn't work. Doctor said to leave it for a week and see what happened as at this point said he wasn't sure what it was.
The rash came back, turned into a kind of large flat blister again. DH went back again was given stronger antibiotics and a different cream and a referral for the dermatologist.

Dermatologist next available appointment is beginning of March. In the meantime, DH has finished the last bout of extra strong tablets and the rash is still there - not as bad granted, but it still covers a rather large patch on the side of his knee and is uncomfortable and sore.

Obviously, it has started getting worse again and the doctor has basically washed his hands of it saying he'll just have to wait for the dermatologist appointment. In two an a half months.

I'm just so frustrated - I know the doctor might not know what it is but AIBU in thinking he shouldn't have to put up with a blistered, pus-filled oozing rash spreading around his leg (god knows how big it will be if left completely untreated for two and a half months) that bleeds and makes it impossible to straighten his leg when it's really bad?

I know people are going to be seeing the dermatologist with other very serious concerns, and I'm not saying we should be given special treatment, I'm just at a loss as to what to do next. Poor DH is starting to get quite anxious about it, as am I because it just doesn't seem to be going at all.

Sorry that was insanely long, I think I just needed to have a bit of a rant. There probably isn't an answer really.

hiyasminitsme Thu 07-Dec-17 23:17:04

If he is genuinely unable to straighten his leg then he needs seeing sooner. Go back, maybe to another GP at the point when it is at its worst.

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:19:26

Thank you for replying hiya I think you're right that's all we can takes about 2-3 weeks for it to get really nasty again so I guess DH will just have to put up with it over xmas and go back afterwards.

I realise i sound a bit hysterical - we've had a bad year with a tfmr last month and this just feels like the final straw think. I can't help but worry that it's something serious sad

Greebz Thu 07-Dec-17 23:19:34

I don't think yabu at all, that sounds like a hell of a wait whilst your DH is in pain (as well as concerned). I think the GP ought to be helping in the mean time with pain relief? I think that sadly there are more and more situations like this because the NHS is so underfunded.

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:20:51

I should have said it makes it impossible to straighten his leg without it painfully breaking the skin and bleeding/oozing everywhere. So not causing problems with the actual joint of his knee . Maybe i'm being a bit panicky and U.

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:27:08

Thanks @greebz i agree - and we aren't the sort to waste time where doctors etc aren't concerned but (luckily) never been in this position before. I'm also going to get DH to phone and see if there are any cancellations for the dermatologist as well to see if he can get in earlier.

welshweasel Thu 07-Dec-17 23:29:03

Unfortunately the wait to see dermatology in many areas of the country is extremely long. Any chance you could afford a private appointment? Usually costs £150-200.

hiyasminitsme Thu 07-Dec-17 23:31:46

Can you get to more than one hospital? Many have waiting times by department on their website so you could shop around and ask for the referral to be diverted if you find a quicker one.

hiyasminitsme Thu 07-Dec-17 23:32:02

Also has it been swabbed?

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:34:38

We can't really afford private sad i looked it up as have had private scans before and if it was £80 or so would have just booked it but our local private clinics and hospitals are £200+

when Dh booked the appointment he was given the choice of four hospitals on the online system he had to use and this was the quickest one so he went with it for that reason.

I think maybe we just need to try the doctor again once it gets bad and try and get a cancellation appointment sooner. So frustrating though.

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:35:22

@hiya no as far as i know nothing like that. just been thoroughly examined no swabs or tests done which i was surprised about tbh.

Neolara Thu 07-Dec-17 23:36:54

It took nearly a year to get on top of my dd's impetigo. The GPS had to try a number of different antibiotics before they found the right one. And it spreads like a bugger. I'd go back to gp again.

whyhastherumgone Thu 07-Dec-17 23:39:20

sorry to hear that @neolara your poor DD. Did you find that some of the earlier rounds of antibiotics were a bit affective? The antibiotics do seem to be working but each round seems less affective than the last.

whyhastherumgone Fri 08-Dec-17 09:08:19

No luck with the cancellation but they said to keep trying.
Guess it will be back to the doctors for us - hopefully he'll get to see a different one this time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: