Talk

Advanced search

Parents of reception children - Do they all get sickness bugs??

(33 Posts)
PhobiaRuiningLife Thu 07-Dec-17 22:19:17

My DS started reception this year and I have been told over and over to expect illnesses, including the dreaded sickness bugs (I'm severely emetophobic!)
One of the mums has just text me to say her little boy (year 1 but in the same classroom) has been sent home today with a headache which has turned into a tummy bug.
We are bound to get it aren't we? From what I hear and what I've read, it would seem that most reception children have had a stomach bug this term as it is rife and I'm just so terrified of it!
I sound pathetic and have tried so many things to get over this, but it's ruining my life at the moment!
If you have kids in reception, have yours had a stomach bug yet since September?
All other experience much appreciated too!

mirime Thu 07-Dec-17 22:23:31

No, not yet this year. DS did have one after starting nursery last year, and one the year before after going to toddler group and putting everything in his mouth.

RicStar Thu 07-Dec-17 22:24:24

My Dd was in reception last year and did not get a stomach bug - (or indeed any illness other than cold / coughs) but there are a lot of them around and we got/ get a lot of letters with this week's disease on them. Hard as I know it is do try not to worry too much about something that might not happen.

LBOCS2 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:27:29

Honestly? Yes. Not ALL the sickness bugs... but DD1, who generally has a stomach of iron (much like DH and me) and has only had one sickness bug before in her lifetime, had a really severe one a couple of weeks ago.

I was severely emetophobic before I had children. One with reflux to the age of 8, one with poor aim, and one with travel sickness and I now merely dislike it and get cold sweats rather than running away and hiding. It's exposure therapy really.

TheCatIsMyEnemy Thu 07-Dec-17 22:28:08

Haven't they already been through this at nursery? It's no different.

MrsBadger Thu 07-Dec-17 22:28:22

Nope. Mine got colds, ear infections, nits and threadworms but neither got stomach bugs. Cross your fingers!

AfterSchoolWorry Thu 07-Dec-17 22:28:37

No. But dd was in creche for four years so possibly got them out of the way there.

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 07-Dec-17 22:32:25

It really depends on the child, DC1 catches everything going, whereas DC2 appears to have a very robust immune system! The whole school went down with a terrible stomach bug last year, but she managed to escape it somehow...

TabbyTigger Thu 07-Dec-17 22:34:09

DD is in year 1 and since September has just had a constant string of colds, but is yet to have a stomach bug. She went to crèche/nursery from the age of 5 months though and has had I think two or three stomach bugs in her short life so I would say at least one is highly probable. We’ve had more encounters with nits and infections (ear/throat) though.

StubbleTurnips Thu 07-Dec-17 22:37:40

We got a lot of d&v sorted in nursery - in fact pretty sure the plague passed through on occasion. DD started reception this year and it's been colds and conjunctivitis mainly, but lots of the others have had d&v.

dingdongdigeridoo Thu 07-Dec-17 22:45:21

Are you getting help with your emetephobia? A friend of mine had it severely and had therapy while she was pregnant as she was terrified of baby sick. I believe she now takes anti-anxiety medication to deal with the underlying anxiety that causes the phobia. It’s not something you can cure, but things like CBT can really help.

helensburgh Thu 07-Dec-17 22:46:55

Emmetophobia here . I'm. On ugly watch every year at this time
However 3 children in and I can say it varies a lot.
None of mine had in reception year .
Eldest had x2 in nursery. Year 1 year 6
Middle x1 reception 1x year 1 x year 3 x2 present year 5!!!

helensburgh Thu 07-Dec-17 22:47:42

Ps it's ruining my life. I've tried CBT but going to gp to ask for another referral

PurpleMinionMummy Thu 07-Dec-17 22:48:52

No. They don't all get them.

Oysterbabe Thu 07-Dec-17 22:50:15

Has he been to nursery? DD seems to have built up a lot of immunity there.

Dahlietta Thu 07-Dec-17 22:50:45

No, not necessarily! DS1 is in Year 1 now and has never had a sickness bug in his life, despite having started at nursery before he was 1. I realise that I may now be cursing this situation....

LipstickHandbagCoffee Thu 07-Dec-17 22:51:15

Yes if never been to nursery
Less so if attended nursery

WyfOfBathe Thu 07-Dec-17 22:52:31

DD got ill quite a lot in reception, with bad colds, flu, and a chest infection, but she never vomited.

There's no way to tell whether an individual child will get ill or not.

Witchend Thu 07-Dec-17 22:52:33

Mine don't tend to get sickness bugs. Dd1 went through one where he best friend got it, and the class number was down to 8 at one point and still didn't get it.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 07-Dec-17 22:53:19

No they don't. DS has just had one this week. He's 8 and he hadn't been sick since he was 2. I've taught them hand-washing, not to put pencils in their mouths. Oh and Actimel as a preventative - not sure if it works but we usually escape the sick bugs. Except, you know, last week.

Iwillbemrsminty Thu 07-Dec-17 22:53:50

Emetophobic here too and have 11 month old twins, dreading what's to come with the nursery/school bugs. And what if they get it at the same time?! sadsadsad

PhobiaRuiningLife Thu 07-Dec-17 22:54:54

Thanks all
I'm on anti anxiety meds and waiting to try CBT again
It's the anticipation of him getting it that is affecting me the most!

mum11970 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:56:29

Kids are no longer young now but no they never suffered with tummy bugs. The odd cold but nothing much else. We must all have good immune systems.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:58:04

Have you taught him to wash his hands properly - with soap and using the hospital hand asking technique. Yes a 4/5 year old might not do it every time but imo teaching proper hand washing to a child is an essential life skill and will protect them in their life more than your anxiety. It’s a simple thing you can do to help anyway

Rainbowandraindrops67 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:58:18

Washing not asking obviously

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now