It’s just so unnatural??

NotMyMonkees Thu 07-Dec-17 21:03:48

Oh, love it!

Pickleypickles Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:39

I thought exactly that! Its like in the realms of cloned sheep if you ask me 😂

AntiHop Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:46

Great idea!

Kentnurse2015 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:48

Ha I saw that earlier and it made me twitch a little!

Lweji Thu 07-Dec-17 21:04:54

It's probably an infertile hybrid.

<useful>

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 07-Dec-17 21:05:26

Where does the hummus go? It's wrong.

MrsExpo Thu 07-Dec-17 21:06:17

Yep ... I agree OP .... totally bonkers.

Columbine1 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:07:23

Very likely a cross-spp hybrid & definitely infertile as has no seed

1DAD2KIDS Thu 07-Dec-17 21:10:18

Finally a way to prevent the middle classes from inflicting devastating embarrassing injuries a kin to the sort that working class people may suffer in their hazardous manual jobs. Finally the middle class is safe. God Bless M&S.

(Well if it wasn't for the future rise of AI competitors in the job market).

Qwebec Thu 07-Dec-17 21:48:13

Can somebody tell us what they taste like? Seedless watermelons are so tasteless but still took over, I can live with pitless avocados but only is they taste the same.

missiondecision Fri 08-Dec-17 09:24:26

M&S could have funded a tutorial on how to peel them instead !!!
I’ve never cut myself peeling an avocado.
Cut through the centre
All the way round, turning the fruit not the knife.
Pull apart and peel !!!! No cutting needed.
And nothing middle class about it.

Deathraystare Fri 08-Dec-17 10:24:00

Now I am as klutzy as anything but surely if the avo is ripe you can remove the stone with ease/use an ordinary table knife. If it is that ripe it comes out easily.

Thymeout Fri 08-Dec-17 10:30:38

Perhaps they could now turn their attention to the real hazards - like sardine and corned beef tins.

mummmy2017 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:30:59

Where do you put the prawns, as there is no hole...

soupforbrains Fri 08-Dec-17 12:05:31

I'm not sure why people are freaking out about how it's so unnatural or akin to cloning sheep.

You do all know that the bananas we have bred for eating are sterile in fertility terms, and also we did exactly this in order to get seedless grapes.

It's nothing new or especially shocking. Perhaps a bit futile and unnecessary but that's what we humans do.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 08-Dec-17 12:11:18

Is it a bad thing if it's infertile?

PurplePumpkinHead Fri 08-Dec-17 12:16:25

The bananas we eat are sterile, therefore effectively cloned. The inability to mutate and adapt, leaves them vulnerable to a species wide wipe out. The bananas we eat are at risk.

If you cut yourself chopping up an avocado, it sounds like survival of the fittest to me!

Leave the stone in grin

soupforbrains Fri 08-Dec-17 12:32:56

Almost all commercially produced fruit, including but not limited to grapes, blueberries, apples and cherries, are grown using cuttings and never from seeds, most of the most popular fruit varieties are sterile whether or not they still have a seed/stone/pit in them. I don't see that there is any difference in this with avocados than with anything else.

I also don't really see the need for pitless avocados as surely there aren't that many injuries and those that do occur can hardly be life threatening. What WOULD have made sense to me was to breed a variety with a very small stone, so that you could be sure of having more flesh on each fruit.

TrojansAreSmegheads Fri 08-Dec-17 12:36:49

they need to create them with legs so they can walk themselves to the bin.

foul things. 😁

RhiannonOHara Fri 08-Dec-17 13:15:43

I’ve never cut myself peeling an avocado.

I just don't peel them.

Never cut myself trying to get rid of the stone though, and I'm a world-class klutz.

They make me feel queasy; they look like fat bananas or courgettes. Weird. I'll be sticking to the dangerous thick-skinned stone variety!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 08-Dec-17 16:34:02

I keep reading that as pitiless avocadoes. grin

On the BBC news article about this, it said that there is a consultant cosmetic surgeon at Charing Cross hospital who claims to have four patients a week needing treatment as a result of avocado-related injuries. How can this possibly be correct? I struggle to believe there are four people attending A&E or minor injuries every week for this reason, never mind needing the attentions of a cosmetic surgeon.

CoughLaughFart Fri 08-Dec-17 17:05:17

What’s the problem? If you don’t want one, don’t buy one.

Lweji Fri 08-Dec-17 17:31:30

What’s the problem? If you don’t want one, don’t buy one.

FGS, this is NOT the MN way. Tsc, Tsc.

andylovesme Fri 08-Dec-17 21:14:59

Is it genetically modified (GMO)? Looks like. I personally love the seeds. I cook it separately and have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now