Talk

Advanced search

To be stressed with my 12 month old

(16 Posts)
OlafCarrotNose Thu 07-Dec-17 18:36:26

For the past few weeks DS has decided all food is the enemy. He will only eat: toast with marmite, peas, cucumber, banana, boiled egg, yoghurt, blueberries, plain pasta and grated cheese. That really is pretty much it. People keep telling me it's a phase and he will grow out of it, but I feel really anxious and stressed. What if he doesn't? Do I keep giving him yoghurt/ fruit for pudding when he's not eaten his meal? When do I start to worry?

LaurieFairyCake Thu 07-Dec-17 18:40:11

You don't worry smile

I could live healthily on that list for the rest of my life

kitkatsky Thu 07-Dec-17 18:40:37

Honestly I don’t think kids need pudding, though it’s different if he hasn’t eaten anything savoury. Instead of rewarding him with something sweet, how about giving him sth savoury if he hasn’t eaten his main course- sth like the toast and marmite

kitkatsky Thu 07-Dec-17 18:42:16

Honestly I don’t think kids need pudding, though it’s different if he hasn’t eaten anything savoury. Instead of rewarding him with something sweet, how about giving him sth savoury if he hasn’t eaten his main course- sth like the toast and marmite

underthebridget Thu 07-Dec-17 18:42:23

My DD did exactly the same thing, almost overnight when she turned one!
It took about 6 weeks to pass then she started eating more broadly again. I'm not sure if it was related to teething or a developmental fussy stage but she was really hard work for those few weeks, very screamy and her naps all went to pot.
It will pass! I know it doesn't feel like it but keep offering things regardless as well as giving foods you know he will eat.

Filzma Thu 07-Dec-17 18:42:58

Is he teething? My DD is the same when teething absolutely no appetite and left to my wits ends. However I do try to increase snacks during the day, she likes to eat from my plate and try to sneak a spoon of purée every time she's distracted. It's hard but it won't last (or so they say) 🙏🤦‍♀️

AnonEvent Thu 07-Dec-17 18:46:25

I don't think that food list is too bad at all, he's getting the main food-groups. And it's reasonably varied.

Kids are phasey (not a word) creatures, sometimes DD will eat whatever we put in front of her, then she'll go a few days only eating Philadelphia on toast, yogurt and fruit (while I secretly fret about all the sugar).

With regards puddings, I don't see them as a reward for eating your main meal, so if there is pudding, I offer it to DD irrespective of having eaten her savoury course. Though usually pudding is plain yogurt or plain yogurt with (sugar ridden) fruit (unless grandma has visited then it's bloody Heinz baby chocolate pudding FFS).

Amanduh Thu 07-Dec-17 19:02:08

I was literally about to post about this. He was one last week and suddenly he'll eat everything one day and nothing the next! Spitting out things he usually loves. Missing whole meals! I'm glad other people have said its a phase...

EB123 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:08:03

My youngest did this at around the same age, I just offered the things he will eat alongside different things. He is 20 months now and tonight polished off all of his dinner plus extra and pudding.

Don't worry and keep offering a variety.

Farfromtheusual Thu 07-Dec-17 19:16:32

DS did the same at that age. Would only eat yogurt, custard and puréed fruit. He's 15 months now and he's grown out of it!

chequeplease Thu 07-Dec-17 19:21:40

YNBU. it's a stressful stage! But don't worry about eating. Offer them what they like alongside some different foods so they can choose & will actually eat. If they're still having milk offer that plenty too.
It's most likely just a phase due to teething, virus, development leap...

EvonneGoolagong Thu 07-Dec-17 20:38:15

I would be over the moon if DS ate as many different things as that! It’s toast and peanut butter, milk and crackers with cream cheese here. That’s it, nothing else. No fruit, no veg. He is 2 and it’s been going on for a year. All the HVs have said not to worry and it will pass eventually. They have recommended that I try not to show anxiety or frustration about it and just keep offering other things. He is still full of energy and growing beautifully!

OlafCarrotNose Fri 08-Dec-17 18:40:38

Thank you everyone, sorry I didn't reply last night I got sidetracked with an ill child (my eldest).

Tonight baby has ignored the broccoli, green beans and potatoes, so basically just ate sausage. Breakfast was toast and blueberries. Lunch a cheese and cucumber sandwich. There is no way there is enough goodness in that diet. He does still drink milk but only around 12 oz. TBH the list of foods he'll eat gets smaller each day. sad

gamerchick Fri 08-Dec-17 18:44:52

OP that list is not bad at all. Stop stressing.

I'm impressed with the marmite, bloody awful stuff. Isn't it very salty though?

BackBoiler Fri 08-Dec-17 18:50:16

Yogurt and fruit is one of my 'healthy options' sometimes. Mine are a bit older but my DS2 who is 5 has extreme picky eating. I have to forget about salt and sugar content and just try and get some vitamins, minerals, protein carbs and fat in him!

Marmite I loved at that age - my kids all hate it. Lovely with wholemeal toast, tinned tomatoes and scrambled egg!

MadgeMak Fri 08-Dec-17 18:59:10

Don’t stress, that diet is honestly not that bad. All the food groups are covered, just give a multivitamin too if you are worried. My 3 year old on the other hand eats no fruit or veg, protein only in the form of a chicken nugget or fish finger, bread and chips, and anything chocolate based of course. I’d be overjoyed if he ate what your child eats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now