Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Toothbrushing Trouble

(9 Posts)
user7654321 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:08:59

We seem to have fallen into a routine of brushing 18m DS’s teeth in the bath every night. He demands toothbrush and does it himself and then we ‘finish it off’.

Trouble is, after bath it’s book/milk (together) and bed. We have been trying to brush teeth again after milk but he is so tired by this point he gets so upset and it completely ruins the bedtime routine. Basically straight after his milk he is falling asleep and we have to put him in cot or all hell breaks loose.

AIBU to let him sleep without brushing again. If yes any tips to break the habit?

dementedpixie Thu 07-Dec-17 18:11:16

I would have the milk earlier before the bedtime routine and not give it after teeth are done

RestingGrinchFace Thu 07-Dec-17 18:11:59

Can you replace the milk with water? For a lot of children it's just the sucking motion that is soothing.

Nomoresugar Thu 07-Dec-17 18:12:47

I breastfeed DD to sleep, so after she's done her teeth.

I don't think it will cause your DS any harm.

FlouncyDoves Thu 07-Dec-17 18:13:26

Just swap water in for the milk. Job done.

mando12345 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:13:54

I would prioritise cleaning his teeth. Could you give him his milk before his bath, then just give him some water if he needs to drink while you're reading.
Alternatively you'll have to wake him up and just hold him down to brush his teeth, explaining calming why you are doing this, then read another book to calm him down.
Brushing his teeth after drinking milk should be non negotiable.

FlouncyDoves Thu 07-Dec-17 18:14:16

And it will do damage over the long term.

user7654321 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:14:29

Thanks. It’s not milk out of a bottle it’s an open cup, sometimes with straw. I might try water tonight and see how he reacts! Milk was his first word though - he really does love it!

user7654321 Thu 07-Dec-17 18:18:02

Unless he is actually in the bath he clamps his mouth shut at the sight of a toothbrush, if we force it he screams blue murder and refuses to sleep afterwards (I think as our punishment)! Not sure why as he doesn’t mind doing it in the bath!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now