Talk

Advanced search

How do I ask friend not to buy presents this year for Christmas?

(11 Posts)
Mrsblackforrestgateaux Thu 07-Dec-17 17:31:00

I have a friend who doesn't live close by and we don't see much of each other (special occasions) but we see to have gotten into the habit of buying our kids Christmas presents. Not sure when I'll next see her but AIBU to suggest we stop? What should I say?

BaldricksTrousers Thu 07-Dec-17 17:33:35

Text or message: "Hey, looking forward to seeing you soon! Just wanted to check if it was ok if we stop exchanging gifts for the dc's. They've lived your gifts so far but we're trying to cut back, both on spending and stuff. Thanks for understanding."

The80sweregreat Thu 07-Dec-17 17:33:57

Its always tricky, but maybe just come out with it? just explain your reasons that you don't want to exchange pressies this year and that its nothing personal. If she takes offence then there isnt much you can do really.

BaldricksTrousers Thu 07-Dec-17 17:34:00

*loved your gifts

BarbarianMum Thu 07-Dec-17 17:34:35

I think you might have left it a bit late tbh. Next year mention it before Dec

scurryfunge Thu 07-Dec-17 17:37:42

We have a couple of friends who we meet only a few times a year. We don't send or receive presents at Christmas or birthdays anymore but we do exchange small gifts when we do manage to meet up. Would that be an option as it lightens the load at Christmas?

Nyx1 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:40:24

I've done this with most people - but the latest I said it to anyone was August!

I just said that we all have plenty, we don't do Xmas anyway because not religious or consumers, don't the children have enough etc etc.

I think everyone was fine bar one person who has already texted me to say she's got "something small" and when can she bring it round but I knew there'd be at least one of our friends doing that.

CottonEyeJosephine Thu 07-Dec-17 17:51:20

I think you’ve probably left it a bit too late for this year, unless you know that she’s not shopped yet.

WitchesHatRim Thu 07-Dec-17 17:52:37

Bit to late for this year.

Lots of people will already have done all their shopping.

jinglebollocks Thu 07-Dec-17 17:52:44

Definitely left it too late this year. If anyone texted me along those lines at this point in the year I would be irritated if I had already bought something.

Council Thu 07-Dec-17 17:55:32

A friend of mine did this to me last year, she was a bit late and I'd already shopped, but even so it came as a relief and I gave the presents I'd bought to charity.

She just text and said, as the Dc are getting older and won't want/need much shall we stop doing presents? She also said no problem if you've already got them, but I didn't tell her that I had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now