Talk

Advanced search

To completely agree that 'a woman’s life will only be as good as the man she marries' . . .

(13 Posts)
BinarySearchTree Thu 07-Dec-17 16:22:49

. . . as explained in this article by Caitlin Moran, and be really quite sad about it?

[Paywall, sorry!] www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-what-young-women-really-need-to-know-n2w0pnfc2

VivaLeBeaver Thu 07-Dec-17 16:30:09

I agree as well. You can have a great life as an independent woman so it's not that you need a man to have a great life. But once in a serious relationship especially once kids arrive if your dp doesn't pull his weight life will be shit.

FluffyWuffy100 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:33:41

Well, yes - if you choose someone for your life partner who is not very nice to you, doesn't do 50% of child and house related things AND doesn't earn much money... you're going to have a shit life.

Invariably its the woman left behind holding the children when a marriage breaks down.

Wise words for anyone to choose your life partner well.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 07-Dec-17 16:35:44

Yes also true the other way round although admittedly far less likely to be an issue.

Chchchchangeabout Thu 07-Dec-17 16:36:31

I would also preface it with the 'if she wants to have children' bit. If not, much less of an issue.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 07-Dec-17 16:36:48

Well yes, of you marry a shitty person (regardless of whether you are a man or a woman) you will never have a good life.

sinceyouask Thu 07-Dec-17 16:37:39

It's fairly obvious that if you marry someone who is a twat, life will not be much fun, surely?

PinkHeart5914 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:38:03

Well yes.

If you decided to spend you life with an arse hole, your naturally in for a rough ride

pointythings Thu 07-Dec-17 16:38:45

I think it's largely true - my life was pretty damn good until my H succumbed to alcoholism. Now it's largely shit and has been for quite some time. But soon it won't be, because at least in this country you can get a divorce relatively easily and because in my case I'm fortunate enough to have always worked.

I am fully aware not everyone is so fortunate.

Eolian Thu 07-Dec-17 16:45:02

I suppose the moral is twofold. a)choose your partner as wisely as you can and b) make sure you're not forever financially dependent on him. Not always easy though.

Christmascardqueen Thu 07-Dec-17 16:47:32

Frequently heard “happy wife happy life” along with a mother is only as happy as her saddest child.

LaBelleSausage Thu 07-Dec-17 17:20:33

Without paywall

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/lifestyle/sa-weekend/caitlin-moran-what-young-women-really-need-to-know/news-story/8f90d4e6805f364c7b189aeac0c4b524

Justbreathing Thu 07-Dec-17 17:21:55

mindovermatterblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/caitlinmoran.pdf

if you don't want to pay murdoch

But very very true. Perhaps if you don't have children it's a bit different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now