Talk

Advanced search

Job security or salary??

(17 Posts)
Happiness2017 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:59:17

Currently in a position where I can't decide which is best.

I have a job offer for a job where the salary is considerably higher than my current salary but not so much life changing.

Current job I have been in for 4 years, my salary has still not hit the amount the job was originally advertised at. They gave me a lower offer due to my experience, but they liked me.

I don't mind work, I don't get Monday morning blues and its never a feeling of 'oooh I don't want to go to work today', I don't mind. So I enjoy my job and I know I'm definitely secure.

I don't have my own home, and I don't own a car due to not really being able to afford it.

I applied for the job with the higher salary as I thought its time to start living like an adult, with a car again and saving for my home.

AIBU to ask if it's worth leaving my secure job to take a chance for those things? Eventually in my current job I would get the pay rises, but I'm looking at maybe 3/4 years to hit that salary?

PJBanana Thu 07-Dec-17 15:10:47

Could you arrange a meeting with your manager/HR about your progression?

Let them know that you enjoy the job but that you want more money/benefits. Leave the ball in their court. If it’s obvious that you’re getting nowhere, accept the other job.

Also, is the other role with a reputable company? Can you look them up on a website like Glassdoor?

Happiness2017 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:11:49

I don't have the confidence to have conversations like that, but I also feel like they would have increased my wage if they thought I was worth it already. I get pay rises every year and they are always bare minimum.

The other role is with a great company. Known worldwide, so again that's a fantastic opportunity.

I've never heard of Glassdoor, what is that?

ClaudiaWankleman Fri 08-Dec-17 10:20:38

You need to pluck up the courage to have that conversation with your managers - they will happily keep costs down and won’t bump up salaries unless necessary.

Start with an email - ‘Can we arrange a time in the new year to talk about my career progression? I’m aware of the development of xyz skills over the last four years which I think have led me to make real achievement in my role and I would like to talk about progression in the department’ or something similar.

If they won’t talk to you about it, then leave. If they don’t accept you’ve gained skills worthy of a raise, start looking for something else.

MakeLemonade Fri 08-Dec-17 10:23:19

I think job security in this day and age doesn’t really exist, you never know what could change with your current workplace.

Progression and more money is important, go for the new role. If not now, then when? Do you want to stay where you work for the rest of your career being poorly rewarded?

I say, be brave!

Happiness2017 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:06:10

I forgot to reply to this thread!! Sorry everyone.

I accepted my new job offer last week, now this is the hard part, I need to hand my notice in. I don't deal well with confrontation.

I sit right next to my manager, I know when I hand my notice in it is going to tip her over the edge as the department is so stretched already, I'm expecting a bit of attitude but it won't be meant. How do you propose I do this, is it still acceptable to do it by email? I'm going to work my full notice period and support where I can, I certainly won't be just dropping out. Because I like my job and the people I work with I feel I'll be emotional if I was to do it face to face, that's the last thing I want. blush

MrTrebus Mon 15-Jan-18 15:10:05

Nooo a paper letter handed to her, she will not shour at you that's massively immature and in real life very rare! Dear God don't email her your notice if you sir next to her that's such bad form! Have an adult conversation, hand her your notice and if she's that bothered she can offer you a big wage increase to stay, which you could still choose to turn down. Good luck!

MrTrebus Mon 15-Jan-18 15:10:23

*shout *sit

Happiness2017 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:39:39

That is what I thought, it would be ridiculous to email her when I sit right beside her, but the office is open plan so there are 6 people around in ear shot.

I suppose, what's the worst that could happen.

Ladyformation Mon 15-Jan-18 15:44:37

For an employer with whom I was on good terms, I would (and have) given them my notice face to face. I think it's the decent thing to do. Put 15 minutes in her diary and just tell her - it's professional not personal.

For an employer I didn't like I've absolutely done it over email

altiara Mon 15-Jan-18 15:44:55

Could you go for a coffee with her and hand her the notice letter and tell her verbally. No one can take offence that you’ve been offered a much higher salary and need it to buy a car/save for a house. If she says anything, then say you’ve been there 4 years because you like it but you need more money. It’s not personal.
Good luck! I hate that bit too flowers

RubyWho Mon 15-Jan-18 15:45:46

They may offer to match the salary once you hand in your notice (has happened to me), therefore win/win!

mailTo Mon 15-Jan-18 15:46:11

Grow a pair and give it to her.

I'm glad you did what was best for you but it sounds like you should have done so a while ago.

Keep your resignation polite and formal. Wish everyone the best. As my father always said, 'never slam a door on the way out'.

Being nervous about handing in your notice but doing it anyway is great. You'll realise that you can handle it and it will stand you in good stead in the future.

19lottie82 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:48:20

Just ask her for a private word (there must be somewhere you can go without everyone else being able to hear?) and tell her in person while giving her a written copy of your notice.

If your boss really does give you shit for leaving then you have definitely made the right choice!

You never know she might offer you a pay rise to stay?

feral Mon 15-Jan-18 16:03:18

Congratulations!

I was in this position a few months ago.

I had accepted a new job but wasn't really sure I wanted it. So I sat down with my boss and told her honestly that I'd been offered another job but if they offered me xyz I'd rather stay with them.

They have me what I wanted as they didn't want to lose me.

Fwiw it wasn't money I asked for but more flexibility with hours.

I then let the other job down. Felt guilty but hey ho. I'm glad I stayed.

This could happen for you then you can choose.

Glumglowworm Mon 15-Jan-18 16:10:19

Definitely do it face to face and in writing, if she blows up at you just treat that as confirmation that you’re doing exactly the right thing

Friedgreen Mon 15-Jan-18 17:20:49

Apply for the new job and then use it as leverege to get th salary in your exising job if possible. If not possible then go. Job security isn’t worth shit if you can’t be financially secure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: