Talk

Advanced search

Job security or salary??

(5 Posts)
Happiness2017 Thu 07-Dec-17 14:59:17

Currently in a position where I can't decide which is best.

I have a job offer for a job where the salary is considerably higher than my current salary but not so much life changing.

Current job I have been in for 4 years, my salary has still not hit the amount the job was originally advertised at. They gave me a lower offer due to my experience, but they liked me.

I don't mind work, I don't get Monday morning blues and its never a feeling of 'oooh I don't want to go to work today', I don't mind. So I enjoy my job and I know I'm definitely secure.

I don't have my own home, and I don't own a car due to not really being able to afford it.

I applied for the job with the higher salary as I thought its time to start living like an adult, with a car again and saving for my home.

AIBU to ask if it's worth leaving my secure job to take a chance for those things? Eventually in my current job I would get the pay rises, but I'm looking at maybe 3/4 years to hit that salary?

PJBanana Thu 07-Dec-17 15:10:47

Could you arrange a meeting with your manager/HR about your progression?

Let them know that you enjoy the job but that you want more money/benefits. Leave the ball in their court. If it’s obvious that you’re getting nowhere, accept the other job.

Also, is the other role with a reputable company? Can you look them up on a website like Glassdoor?

Happiness2017 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:11:49

I don't have the confidence to have conversations like that, but I also feel like they would have increased my wage if they thought I was worth it already. I get pay rises every year and they are always bare minimum.

The other role is with a great company. Known worldwide, so again that's a fantastic opportunity.

I've never heard of Glassdoor, what is that?

ClaudiaWankleman Fri 08-Dec-17 10:20:38

You need to pluck up the courage to have that conversation with your managers - they will happily keep costs down and won’t bump up salaries unless necessary.

Start with an email - ‘Can we arrange a time in the new year to talk about my career progression? I’m aware of the development of xyz skills over the last four years which I think have led me to make real achievement in my role and I would like to talk about progression in the department’ or something similar.

If they won’t talk to you about it, then leave. If they don’t accept you’ve gained skills worthy of a raise, start looking for something else.

MakeLemonade Fri 08-Dec-17 10:23:19

I think job security in this day and age doesn’t really exist, you never know what could change with your current workplace.

Progression and more money is important, go for the new role. If not now, then when? Do you want to stay where you work for the rest of your career being poorly rewarded?

I say, be brave!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now