Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to manipulate an ankle

(5 Posts)
ringle Thu 07-Dec-17 08:32:07

Ds(15) sprained his ankle six weeks ago and we can't quite get it to heal.

We went to the podiatrist a week ago who showed us that the problem ligament is the one you can feel by pressing under the ankle hone on the outside edge of the foot.

The podiatrist manipulated it and the pain vanished even when pressing on the sore point. But now it is back. Podiatrist gave ds an exercise to keep the better alignment but I want to repeat the magic manipulation trick, can I learn it?

moreismore Thu 07-Dec-17 08:35:24

This sounds less like manipulation and more like trigger point release but it’s a tender area and if you don’t know what you’re doing there’s the potential to cause more bruising... might be worth a return trip to the podiatrist.

ringle Thu 07-Dec-17 08:51:32

Thanks for replying. He did say he had only moved the soft tissue not the bone. Does that make sense?

LIZS Thu 07-Dec-17 08:58:10

Yes I think physio did this when I had a high ankle sprain. Took ages to get right again though. Could you afford a few private sessions of physio? Ask them to show you?

ringle Thu 07-Dec-17 11:08:36

have managed to get a 15 m appointment this afternoon with the same podiatrist.

I'm really tempted to ask around because podiatrist can be hard to gtet appointments with. But DS has poor biomechanics (needs orthotics, etc) so I guess I'd better stick to just one expert at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now