Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about the tree?

(7 Posts)
Yambabe Thu 07-Dec-17 00:57:04

I work in a male-dominated environment. In fact I am the only female - there is a management team of 4 (including me and the Big Boss), a small sales division of 3 and a workshop/site team of 10. It's a pretty easy-going environment to be fair, the boss is very flexible.

We have just gone past the company year-end, and as part of my function is financial and I am officially part-time (although I work flexi-hours and generally save overtime to take extra days off) I am pretty busy at the moment. The sales team too are busy lining up new work for next year. The workshop/sites however are winding down ready for the break (we close for 10 days) and as the other 2 managers are more involved in that side of things they too are pissing off to the pub for hours winding down.

Which brings me to today. I arrive at work at 11, everyone else has been in since 8.30. There is a christmas tree in a box in reception which has obviously been brought in from the depths of the workshop and is covered in about an inch of dust. Big Boss asks me to assemble and decorate it. WTF I say, can't X or Y do it? I need to do this, this and this job today. No he says, it needs your touch.

Muttering to myself I shake and wipe all the various bits (getting filthy in the process) and put the tree together, it takes a while. BUT I deliberately did a really shit job of it. So now we have a totally wonky and crap tree in reception, for all to see. I was kind of hoping they would all go "ooh Yam that's awful, you should have done it like THIS" and re-done it.

So AIBU to think he only asked me to do it cos I am female, and AIB even more U to be naffed off that nobody else seems to have noticed (or care) how awful it looks? sad

Rooooooood Thu 07-Dec-17 01:02:51

So AIBU to think he only asked me to do it cos I am female

Possibly

However, it's also possible that the only reason he asked you is because he thought you would be the only one to agree to do it.

Kingsclerelass Thu 07-Dec-17 02:13:32

Or maybe he asked you because he didn't want it to look like a dog's dinner and thought you'd do a good job.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 07-Dec-17 02:16:11

You shouldn't have done it at all OP!

"It needs your touch"

I'd have said "What touch? I don't have a touch!" and left.

Maybe get some offensive ornaments with fannies on them and if he asks about them say "That's a woman's touch...I thought that's what you meant by "a touch""

TheHolidayArmadillo Thu 07-Dec-17 05:00:53

I think you’re probably right. Women love doing all that stuff don’t they hmm.

There are reasons why a man might think the only woman would be the person who wouldn’t say no. If everyone else with a similar workload to you had been in since 8.30 the tree should have been up by the time you came in at 11 if they are that bothered to have it.

confusedlittleone Thu 07-Dec-17 10:35:05

It could also be that although they say they're ok with the way your hours are structured they actually aren't so this was abit of a dig at that

Council Thu 07-Dec-17 10:42:45

When I worked on an all male business we never had any decorations up. Or leaving collections, or biscuits at meetings, or birthday cards. It seems to me that if a woman doesn't do these things (and I wasn't going to for that reason) they don't happen.

That said, where I work now is almost all women and a ridiculous amount of time has been wasted on Christmas this week grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now