Talk

Advanced search

Could a flu jab prevent a cold?

(13 Posts)
HappyVan Wed 06-Dec-17 23:23:17

Last winter, I took a flu jab privately and didn't get one cold or flu. This year I decided not to have the flu jab and I am already on my second cold. Could it be possible that the flu jab prevents a cold?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Wed 06-Dec-17 23:27:20

No, cold and flu are different things, you were just lucky/unlucky

Stompythedinosaur Wed 06-Dec-17 23:35:41

No it doesn't. It is just coincidence.

Nightmanagerfan Wed 06-Dec-17 23:37:26

No, completely different virus and symptoms. You’ve just been unlucky

ThisLittleKitty Wed 06-Dec-17 23:38:47

My sister said she's been ill since having the jab so no I think just a coincidence for you.

PerfectlyDone Wed 06-Dec-17 23:39:59

No.

If anybody came up with a vaccine to prevent the common cold,, they'd be gazillionaires over night grin

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 06-Dec-17 23:41:18

No, different viruses

Christmascardqueen Wed 06-Dec-17 23:55:13

a cold and the flu are two different things...and when people say I've got "the flu" when they have diarrhea the jab isn't for that kind of flu either.

Fabellini Wed 06-Dec-17 23:59:17

I've been hospitalised with flu twice and have asthma which is controlled with medication - I therefore qualify for flu jab every year.
I've noticed I haven't had nearly as many colds since I've been having my annual jab. I know they're completely different viruses, but I wonder if not needing to fight flu means my immune system is better, and I'm healthier in general, so colds don't "stick"......or, it could just be a coincidence smile

SeaToSki Thu 07-Dec-17 00:02:01

No

Floralnomad Thu 07-Dec-17 00:05:13

Definitely not , I rarely get colds and this year had the flu jab for the first time as I’ve been diagnosed with a couple of serious illnesses , ive now got the worst cold and cough that I’ve had for years and feel completely shit .

Downhillatfifty Thu 07-Dec-17 00:07:11

I’ve had a flu jab a month ago and am currently suffering from a miserable cold.
So no protection unfortunately, a cold is caused by a different virus.

allthatmalarkey Thu 07-Dec-17 07:20:27

Fabellini good thinking
OP maybe you were washing your hands more often last year, e.g. youngest was still in nappies? 90% of the time, colds and flu get passed on via touching something someone with a cold/flu has touched. Eeuw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now