Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to keep daughter off school when I'm ill?

(37 Posts)

Hi all,

I went under General Anesthesia a couple of days ago and have had help with DD since.. I'm still feeling pretty groggy but will be on my own tomorrow (I can function just a bit slower than normal).

DD is in first year of primary school so not major learning to be missed by one day off..

Would it be unreasonable to keep her off school tomorrow for a day so I don't have to walk the mile school run feeling foggy (in the impending storm) or should I just pull up my big girl pants and get on with it?

Thanks!

Someoneasdumbasthis Wed 06-Dec-17 22:21:20

big girl pants time. don't teach your DD that skivving is cool. presume no one else can help (friends/family/neighbour)?

confusedlittleone Wed 06-Dec-17 22:21:28

Is there another mum that can take her to/from? You'll probably find you'll get more rest to recover if she's at school!

Heckneck Wed 06-Dec-17 22:21:41

The walk might clear your head, assuming you can walk? Then you've got lots of time to do as you please and chill out child free. Winner. You're more likely to be busier meeting the demands of a bored child at home otherwise.

monkeysox Wed 06-Dec-17 22:23:29

Take her next week. She's very little.

pinkdelight Wed 06-Dec-17 22:38:37

Surely it's much easier to do the schoolrun then flake out than have a whole day looking after a kid?

Nix32 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:51

Take her to school, definitely.

BenLui Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:32

You need to ask for help from a friend or neighbour.

Or get in a taxi.

ticketytock1 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:36

@Someoneasdumbasthis she's not skiving, she is sick.
Op I wouldn't worry about it. This time of year they are in wind down with Christmas shows etc... I doubt she will miss much. Close the door, put the heating on and watch some Christmas movies!

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:43

Yanbu OP . What can you do ? If no one else can take her then rest , TV and get better soon flowers

She had a general people that’s quite a big fucking deal ! It’s not a Cold

Thanks, I'm sure you're all right - the walk will probably be less taxing than a day with demands. Hopefully the fog will have lifted when I wake tomorrow making the question redundant..

Chocolatecake12 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:43:19

Could you get a taxi to school?
And for pick up too?
Entertaining a child will be more exhausting than doing the school run!

allthegoodusernameshavegone Wed 06-Dec-17 22:43:19

School definitely, it’s the law. You also then get all day to re coup

1happyhippie Wed 06-Dec-17 22:44:16

Do you know any of the school mums? Could you ask for help with pick up and drop?
I have done this before for children in my dds classes if they have been stuck, most people will be happy to help.
Hope your feeling better soon

Ragusa Wed 06-Dec-17 22:46:41

Definitely take her. Can you get an uber or bus if not up to walk?? Hope you feel better soon.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 06-Dec-17 22:47:23

I would ask for help too - people are kinder than you realise flowers

It's not an option to ask another parent unfortunately as we're not near any of the parents I know. We'll figure it out, I'm pretty good at powering through. Thanks for your opinions.

bluebottlebubble Wed 06-Dec-17 22:48:26

Get well soon. I'd get someone else to take dd or take a taxi just for this one day.

AdoraBell Wed 06-Dec-17 22:49:05

How groggy, and would you be walking or driving?

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 06-Dec-17 22:49:09

"School definitely, it’s the law"
No the op's dd is not compulsory school age.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 06-Dec-17 22:49:44

You'll be better off braving it as then you will have some peace!

Sprinklestar Wed 06-Dec-17 22:50:44

Just get an Uber there and back.

I don't drive so just waking groggy as in my head is foggy presumably from the meds. Taxi is an idea, thanks.

SavageBeauty73 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:55:44

Do you have a DH to drop her off? If not, cab. Book tonight

Incrediblehulky Wed 06-Dec-17 22:56:14

Of course it's ok to keep her off if that's what you need to do! If you don't have any help to get her to school tomorrow and you are not well enough then you have no choice - sometimes these things happen. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a relaxing day tomorrow (if possible with a 5 year old for company!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now