Talk

Advanced search

To issue a claim against mothercare

(40 Posts)
cornishmumtobe Wed 06-Dec-17 21:38:01

Hi there. First thread for me!

I ordered an expensive item from mothercare (£150 Mark) online and then cancelled the order via telephone 2 days later. I was told on the call that the order had been cancelled and then received an email confirming that it had been cancelled.

Last Friday (Over a week later) the item is delivered to me (I didn't realise what the parcel was as Yodel did not hand it over until I'd signed for it and I was taking in parcels all day from Black Friday) and the money was taken out of my account.

Called mothercare and was told that I had merely requested a cancellation it hasn't actually been cancelled hmm and the only option was to return the item or allow them to collect it for a refund. Returning the item in store was not possible for various reasons (over 20 miles away, heavily pregnant, live up a cliff with no parking so hard to get the heavy box to the car).

Arranged a collection for today. Was told it would be collected between 8am and 8pm. Guess what? It wasn't collected.

I interned to tell mothercare tomorrow that they have to refund me and then arrange the next collection to suit me. They've been really adamant that they won't refund me until they receive the item but my view is they were not authorised to take that money, it's their cock up and I'm fed up of being inconvenienced.

If they still refuse.... WIBU to just issue a claim against them for my money back?

SantaStuckInTheChimney Wed 06-Dec-17 21:42:58

I would personally just send the item back and get a refund that way. Once you have your refund, I would send a further complaint about the inadequate service- ask for compensation.

LittleMe03 Wed 06-Dec-17 21:46:28

Surely thou when you ordered the item the money was already taken from your account? So calling to cancel two days later you would have had to wait for money back anyway. Also two days later is a long time really as items are often processed and out for delivery within two days. You shouldn't have been told the item was cancelled thou if that was the case. I would be complaining more about the item not being collected after waiting all day. It will be easier thou to just try and get it returned and get your money back.

CoffeenoTea Wed 06-Dec-17 22:01:18

Just send it back. You do realise that who ever you speak to will not refund you untill they get it back or proof its on its way back. If you want to help the situation just be nice to who picks up the phone. I work in customer service and if you shout and rant i just quote company policy at you, if you are calm and nice i go out of my way to get it resolved .

LoneParenting101 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:03:04

You don't have a leg to stand on. Sorry.

You gave them your card details when you placed the order and have them authorisation. Despite cancelling their systems automatically dispatched the order. They may give you a £10 voucher for goodwill because of the missed collection but they will just rearrange collection. I know you're angry but it WILL be refunded once they receive it. Usually within 14 days of when they receive the item.

Emerald92 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:05:14

They are under no obligation to refund you until they have received the returned goods. YABU.

Laiste Wed 06-Dec-17 22:12:13

''Issue a claim'' with who? A court?

The company is not refusing to refund you, they're saying now you don't want it you'll get your money back after it's returned and they'll come and get it shortly. As is quite normal.

You think starting a small claims court case is going to be quicker or easier than just waiting a couple of days for a refund? confused

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 06-Dec-17 22:25:20

Leaving it two days and then cancelling is too late. It probably went straight through at the time. I’ve ordered stuff online and it’s arrived the next day sometimes.

helpfulperson Wed 06-Dec-17 22:31:29

I presume that it is like Amazon - you request a return and it is then up to the seller to decided if they will or won't accept it. Only then can you send the item back and there is usually a cost attached.

tryso84 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:35:45

You on crack? Just send it back and you’ll get your money. Done. Claim for what and to who?!

ticketytock1 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:37:21

Sorry but yabu
You authorised the debit in the first instance. It's a busy time of year, and as wrong as it is, we often don't get first class service. The staff just don't have the time.
I'd bring it to a store if I were you then take up a complaint separately for compensation to cover petrol, time, inconvenience etc. That way you will get your money back quickest

ticketytock1 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:38:59

Lol @tryso84
Op you do sound a bit dramatic
Issuing a claim made me lol

BigUnicornsDontCry Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:40

YABU

BumWad Wed 06-Dec-17 22:41:17

YABU

Just send it back

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:47:01

What do you mean 'issue a claim?' Have you been to the small claims court often? How will you get there if you're heavily pregnant? You have their item, they have your money, arrange for them to collect the item and then get a refund. No court will be able to reach a different outcome to that - you will be wasting court fees.

Jaxhog Wed 06-Dec-17 22:52:01

Get them to collect it or return it. Of course they won't refund you until they get it back.

Newinthegame16 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:54:55

Arrange collection, get your refund and request a good will gesture for the hassle! Least they can do plus handy for baby on way

Be3Al2Si6O18 Wed 06-Dec-17 23:09:31

YANBU

1. I was told on the call that the order had been cancelled and then received an email confirming that it had been cancelled. Produce the email to them.

2. Arranged a collection for today. Was told it would be collected between 8am and 8pm. Guess what? It wasn't collected. So produce evidence they told you it would be collected between those times, then leave them to it.

selavy Wed 06-Dec-17 23:17:46

Honestly what is going on with people these days? The “claim” culture has gone absolutely insane.
You’ve been mildly inconvenienced by a situation that you created - just return the item and wait for the refund like every other person would.

Dilligaf81 Wed 06-Dec-17 23:22:05

When you say issuing a claim I presume you mean contacting your bank for a charge back?
The bank won't do it as you have the goods.
I would get it collected then complain about the lack of collection and the poor service/wrong information you were given regarding the cancellation.
To everyone saying goes it was too late to cancel, the Op called mother care and they said it was cancelled. She was told incorrect information and for it to arrive a week later after being cancelled again isn't her fault.

Good luck op

VivaLeBeaver Wed 06-Dec-17 23:24:00

It’s not their cock up. You cancelled it, they tried to cancel it but sounds like the order was too far down the processing line to be stopped. Which at two days post order isn’t surprising. Maybe their communication could have been better I guess, amazon will normally say that they’ll try to cancel it but can’t guarantee that they’ll be able to.

The item not being picked up is annoying but that’s the couriers fault. Guess you just ought to be glad you’re not been charged for the return courier.

allthegoodusernameshavegone Wed 06-Dec-17 23:27:57

Call them again and arrange another pick up then write a firm email.

BathshebaKnickerStickers Wed 06-Dec-17 23:28:25

Your location sounds remote and safe. Send the courier a message - “package on back step in black bag” - then carry on with your life, no need to wait in all day etc

BunloafAndCrumpets Wed 06-Dec-17 23:32:09

They have terrible customer service in my experience. Just send it back and get them out of your life! Life is too short to deal with stuff like this.

Sportsnight Wed 06-Dec-17 23:38:20

You’re heavily pregnant, so I think you can be forgiven a bit of an overreaction. In late pregnancy I ordered something from John Lewis that wasn’t right, waited in for them to collect it, and the van didn’t show up. I cried so hard down the phone at the poor customer services rep that they sent a voucher and flowers blush

It’ll be alright in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now