Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if my sense of smell and taste will ever return

(11 Posts)
Rubbermaid Wed 06-Dec-17 21:33:24

I was ill with a virus until a few days ago and although I was really bunged up while I had it, I’ve been clear and well for about three days now. However I’ve completely lost my sense of smell and taste. I’ve burnt the dinner two nights in a row as I couldn’t smell it and I’m panicking a bit now as this hasn’t happened before when I’ve not been congested. Has this happened to anyone else and did it come back? How long did it take? I’m cooking a birthday dinner on Saturday for my best friend including a chocolate birthday cake and I need to be able to taste as I cook! Plus I’ve been dieting for weeks and was looking forward to a bit of cake!

MissCalamity Wed 06-Dec-17 22:08:14

I was really ill with a bad sinus infection, cough, cold etc..at the end of February this year. I lost my smell & taste halfway through March, was at a posh do for my brother's 30th & people kept asking me how my food was, and I was just like I'm eating but there's nothing there!

It was the start of April before they both came back, I was very worried that they wouldn't return!
Fingers crossed for you! smile

BusyBeez99 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:10:03

Yes. It took about two weeks though. Hope you better soon

teaandtoast Wed 06-Dec-17 22:12:35

Can you smell or taste raw onion?

Pajamagirl Wed 06-Dec-17 22:15:51

I lost my sense of taste and smell about 4 yrs ago
It has returned intermittently. Love it when it does , steak is my top choice then
Some purfumes I can smell others not at all
I can't smell food cooking , no lovely smells of bacon , or cake . Have to watch what I'm cooking as u can't tell by smell when it is done
I feel I have got used to it but I have got heavier , maybe cos I eat more , searching for the ' taste '

Rubbermaid Wed 06-Dec-17 22:30:34

Going to get an onion now and will report back.

Pajamagirl that sounds frustrating, I’m sorry. What led to you losing your sense of smell? (If you don’t mind me asking) Was it a virus or something else?

Pajamagirl Thu 07-Dec-17 06:50:15

I am Not sure why, did have a cold but nothing excessive I can't honestly remember
I have googled it and smell taste does not often come back so am grateful for the times I do have it
Sometimes I get a waft of something and think ooh lovely and that makes me realise how much I don't get

ilikepinacoladas Thu 07-Dec-17 07:03:53

Seriously consider going to the doctor. They can give you steroids if you get there quick enough. If not there is nothing they can do apparently. However this is just the word of one gp my mum had when she lost her taste and smell. It is still not back 6 months later as she apparently did not go to see him soon enough. Again it may be a random view of one gp.

Amanduh Thu 07-Dec-17 07:07:53

Pretty normal after a bad cold or virus.. I usually lose mine for a couple of weeks.

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Thu 07-Dec-17 07:49:14

I had a bad sinus infection a couple of years ago and lost smell and taste for weeks. Now whenever i have a bad cold it goes to some extent, for weeks. I find i lose weight though as I steer clear from snacking when I can't taste anything. It makes me realise how much I eat just feeling munchy in the evenings blush
However it always wears off and I always resume my snacking!

GenericDietCola Thu 07-Dec-17 08:02:25

I second going to the GP as there are things you can try. My DH lost his years ago and sadly, despite trying lots of treatments and investigations, it's never returned. The sooner you seek treatment the better!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: