Talk

Advanced search

That Britain should rethink BREXIT

(653 Posts)
WallisofWindsor Wed 06-Dec-17 12:14:06

David Davis admitting that the impact of Brexit will be equal to the credit crunch should surely make the country revisit the decision.
Why put your country through such a difficult period?

RubMyRhubarb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:18:34

David Davis is claiming that the "impact" of Brexit will be equal to the credit crunch. Anyone can claim anything they fancy, doesn't make it a fact.

And what exactly does "revisit" the decision mean? You mean ignore it, right? No, we shouldn't. We had the referendum, the vote was clear - let's get on with it.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 06-Dec-17 12:22:04

The vote was anything but clear. The margin of victory was very small and it's now extremely clear that the Leave campaign lied left, right and centre to persuade people to vote Leave, not to mention it also seems very likely that Russia was meddling as well.

It was never a good idea to put an issue as complex as this out for a referendum and just requiring a simple majority to proceed with it was madness.

Even with all that, under our laws a referendum is just advisory. Parliament could choose to ignore it.

And now we find that the government hasn't even attempted to assess the impact of Brexit on UK industry. We are utterly fucked if we carry on with this.

GrockleBocs Wed 06-Dec-17 12:23:21

I think it would be wise to take very little notice of David Davis on any subject.

McTufty Wed 06-Dec-17 12:24:43

The entire thing is a farce and there is no route out which won’t end in disaster. Allowing a referendum on this was shamefully reckless.

PrincessoftheSea Wed 06-Dec-17 12:25:02

This is not new. It is only new that DD is saying it. Its the worst decison this country has made voted for by the ill-informed and gullible.

CaptainBrickbeard Wed 06-Dec-17 12:25:07

The majority was tiny.
The impact is going to be hugely detrimental.
No, we shouldn't press blindly ahead - that's not what our representatives should do in a democracy.
Yes, we should revisit it and not going ahead with it should be on the table!

What I want to know is - what cost is too high for Brexiters? How painful and damaging would it have to be before it outweighs their perception of the damage that staying in the EU would cause us? Is it worth being taken out by the most incompetent government we have ever seen? Can anyone trust them to do this?

JeReviens Wed 06-Dec-17 12:27:10

The vote was anything but clear. The margin of victory was very small and it's now extremely clear that the Leave campaign lied left, right and centre to persuade people to vote Leave, not to mention it also seems very likely that Russia was meddling as well

This.

This is infinitely more sensible than "the vote was clear ...". It was not. It was manipulated into a racist and xenophobic issue by Farage and his pals at the Kremlin quite apart from anything else i.e. the farcical Punch and Judy show between Gove and Johnson and that damned fool bus.

Of course it needs rethinking. To say otherwise is just foolish pig-headedness. It needs rethinking with all the now uncovered facts out there in the open - and it would help if all the stuff they're not telling us yet could come out too.

If it goes ahead it's a shitstorm of horrible consequences for generations to come - and for those who thought it would get rid of all the Muslims - you were sold a complete pup!

JeReviens Wed 06-Dec-17 12:28:12

McTufty

Bloody exactly.

RubMyRhubarb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:29:00

No, the vote was crystal clear. Leave won - that's what happened.
As for entrusting the public with such a decision, who should we entrust with it instead? A bunch of overpaid wankers who don't live in the real world?

You can argue that it was advisory, technically parliament could ignore it, however - practically they can't. It's very simple, can you imagine, or even begin to imagine the backlash if they say "oh yeah btw, we won't be leaving the EU after all, we wuz just playin"

Ignoring it isn't realistic.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Wed 06-Dec-17 12:29:50

Well its even worse than that op.....David Davies doesn't have a fucking clue whats going to happen....because no one's even done a proper economic assessment, so he's going to negotiations with literally no idea what he's negotiating for.

And 52/48 is not fucking decisive, at all. Farage himself said if the percentage had been the same, but reversed...he'd have fought it on the basis it was too tight.

We should be having a conversation based purely on facts, not wild ideas or bullshit about fucking sovereignty.
And then go back to the polls armed with actual facts about the likely outcomes for our lives and economy.

But we wont.

RubMyRhubarb Wed 06-Dec-17 12:30:12

voted for by the ill-informed and gullible

That was quick. You win the prize for earliest "Leavers are pond life who just don't understand things as well as I do" comment on a Brexit thread.

McTufty Wed 06-Dec-17 12:31:44

As for entrusting the public with such a decision, who should we entrust with it instead?

We should have trusted our democratically elected politicians as part of a parliamentary democracy. a referendum is far too blunt a tool for such a complex issue.

makeourfuture Wed 06-Dec-17 12:31:44

You can argue that it was advisory

There is no real argument. Referendums have no Constitutional legitimacy.

Maryz Wed 06-Dec-17 12:32:17

YABU, Britain shouldn't rethink Brexit.

They should actually think about it for the first time. The don't seem to have done much thinking at all so far.

just5morepeas Wed 06-Dec-17 12:33:24

As much as I might not like it - I'm still not sure what would be best, although brexit is looking like a worse option all the time - we had a referendum and the decision has been made.

On the other hand, I do think we were lied to by the leave campaign and if there isn't a rethink of the result, there at least ought to be consequences for this for someone.

It's amazing to me how little thought seems to have gone on beforehand into what would happen now.

IceFall Wed 06-Dec-17 12:34:24

100% agree with @Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g post

IceFall Wed 06-Dec-17 12:35:42

e had a referendum and the decision has been made

Do you never revisit decision that have been made? At work? In your personal life?

Decisions get revisited all the time in the real word when other evidence comes to light, or it turns out things aren't progressing as expected.

ilovegin112 Wed 06-Dec-17 12:36:15

What do you think would happen if we stopped the process? Do you think everything would go to being a utopia? I think it would cause a holy mess, even more than we have now.

Please also can we leave the name calling behind it doesn’t help at all

Flumpernickel Wed 06-Dec-17 12:37:52

Hooray, another Brexit thread. Well, I guess it has been at least 5 minutes since the last... hmm

JacquesHammer Wed 06-Dec-17 12:38:04

And what exactly does "revisit" the decision mean? You mean ignore it, right? No, we shouldn't. We had the referendum, the vote was clear - let's get on with it

You don't revisit stuff in your professional or personal life when new info comes to light?

JacquesHammer Wed 06-Dec-17 12:38:44

Hooray, another Brexit thread. Well, I guess it has been at least 5 minutes since the last..

Almost like you have the option not to click on those threads that don't interest you, isn't it?

abilockhart Wed 06-Dec-17 12:39:01

"Leavers are pond life who just don't understand things as well as I do"

You are certainly very good at getting this across, RubMyRhubard.

LoverOfCake Wed 06-Dec-17 12:39:35

Yabu.

I was a remain voter, but tbh the remainers who have been whinging about it ever since are doing my head in.

If the vote had gone exactly the other way those wining now would be telling the leave voters to stfu and that the vote was final etc etc.

Regardless of what you think, the vote went the other way. To suggest that 52% of the voting public were ill-informed etc etc is ignorant in the extreme.

Britain voted for Brexit. It's not what you or I wanted but that's how it was. The end.

JacquesHammer Wed 06-Dec-17 12:40:38

Britain voted for Brexit. It's not what you or I wanted but that's how it was. The end.

That's not how the very basic tenets of democracy work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: