Talk

Advanced search

To not bother with Christmas

(14 Posts)
butterybean Wed 06-Dec-17 11:46:56

Had 1st baby by ECS 5 weeks ago. Just moved into new house so everything is everywhere and haven't unpacked yet. Have some home improvements/painting and stuff to do. Dont have carpets or hot water yet.

Haven't even thought about Christmas this year. AIBU just to skip it and focus on the house and new baby. Anyone else have a november baby and didn't bother in the first year.

ThisLittleKitty Wed 06-Dec-17 11:51:42

I don't blame you! I'm really tempted to not bother this year and my babies 7 months! (Though going through a difficult phase) but with 3 older kids I have no choice really.

pinotgrigio1 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:59:28

Last Christmas my baby was 11 days old. I also have an older child who was 3 last Christmas so no chance to let it pass by!! If I only had the youngest it would have been a much quieter affair (ended up hosting for both sets of parents - I think I needed my head testing!!!). In your situation, if you are more than happy to not bother this year, then that's totally your choice. Do what you want and just make the most of a quiet, relaxing day!

londonloves Wed 06-Dec-17 12:10:58

My baby is 9 weeks. I flatly refused to go on any epic visits and told the family they can visit us if they want to see us. My mum has paid for Christmas dinner for us from Cook, I think you pretty much just lob it in the oven. Can't wait to just chill out the three of us. I think you're totally within your rights to opt out, definitely don't go anywhere!

gingerclementine Wed 06-Dec-17 12:13:32

I'd keep it very low key this year. Baby won't care and you will appreciate not having the extra work.

Mar15mite Wed 06-Dec-17 12:17:39

Just concentrate on your baby and getting hot water

My DS was only 5 months last Christmas and he didn’t give two hoots x

JE17 Wed 06-Dec-17 12:40:37

My first DC was born 8 days before Christmas. My DH and DM made sure Christmas still happened while I just focused on DC in my zombie like state. If it had been left to me alone then nothing would have happened.

YADNBU to not do Christmas.

Soubriquet Wed 06-Dec-17 12:41:55

If I was in your position I would cancel Christmas too.

Enjoy those baby snuggles and get your dh to cook you a nice dinner that day so you at least get a Christmas dinner

5foot5 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:27:49

My DD was born in mid-November. We did do Christmas but kept it low key - just us and DD. We saw family beforehand to exchange presents (which DH bought and delivered as this was in the early days of the Internet so not as much opportunity to shop from home.)

DH cooked Christmas dinner (a turkey crown) and we had a lovely quiet day just the three of us.

Friends invited us to a party for New Year which we were at first inclined to refuse as I was still breastfeeding and it all seemed too much. However, they had a baby themselves a few months older than ours and they persuaded us to go. We actually had a lovely time and genuinely nobody seemed to bat an eyelid if I was wondering around with DD attached to my boob!

butterybean Wed 06-Dec-17 14:09:59

Will i be gutted I dont have the 'baby first Christmas' pics under the tree? I usually go all out - nordic style decorations, stockings, everything home cooked, foraging and making gifts etc. But this year has been v stressful with house move, rennovations, overdue baby, long and stressful labour with Ecs. I can't drive and I'm still recovering, house looks like a building site. Christmas decorations are in the back of a storage container somewhere with th3 rest of our furniture. I cant really lift stuff to unpack. I'd rather not bother than do it half arsed....

dingdongdigeridoo Wed 06-Dec-17 14:15:59

Spend time enjoying your baby! Any local pubs doing xmas dinner? It'll save you from cooking. Snuggle up on the sofa and enjoy a peaceful one.

Next year they'll be a bit more responsive and able to enjoy the Christmas lights and tearing up wrapping paper.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 06-Dec-17 14:23:58

I had an end of November baby but we still did Christmas ie. decorations up but went to ILs for lunch etc. However we hadn't just moved house too!!!

Can you go out for lunch?

butterybean Wed 06-Dec-17 14:40:26

DP will have his children here but they are 12 and 14. I'm not sure if he plans to do Christmas stuff with them or not. They don't usually celebrate Christmas but have done in the last 3 years since I have been in the family. I dont think we could afford Christmas lunch out as it would be 4 adults....money is very tight since the move. I usually organise the whole thing - presents, decor and food. DP helps but he hasn't done Christmas in the past either so leaves a lot of it to me which in previous years I've loved. This year not feeling it. Just want to do baby cuddles and diy where i can. There is no family pressure. If i said to DO I dont want to bother he'd understand. There are no relatives to visit as they all live 200 miles away or dont celebrate christmas.

dingdongdigeridoo Wed 06-Dec-17 15:45:49

At least at 12 and 14 you don’t have to do santa visits or stockings! Get DP to sort their presents.

Most supermarkets do turkey crowns and sides that you can bung in the oven. So even if you don’t go out it’s easy enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: