Talk

Advanced search

Boss not closing toilet door

(82 Posts)
hdgxx Wed 06-Dec-17 11:06:54

Am I being unreasonable to be really annoyed that my "boss" never fully closes/locks the door when going to the toilet. I'm an early 20s female, he is a middle aged man who should have learnt toilet etiquette by now.

We share a toilet, there aren't many of us that use this one, and I only mainly use tap in there to refill my cup, which is relatively often as I like to keep hydrated, and it is the only one on the floor in the building. But a few times now I have had the displeasure of walking in on him mid-pee. He finds it hilarious, and I always express that I clearly do not find it even remotely funny. By the way, the toilet in question is a gender-neutral, disabled toilet.

He is a massive twat very ignorant generally but for me this just crosses the line. What would you do? He is very unapproachable.

Ellendegeneres Wed 06-Dec-17 11:09:45

I'd report him. He's getting off on you walking in.

scurryfunge Wed 06-Dec-17 11:10:25

He is doing it deliberately and probably gets a kick out of it. Can you speak to his manager or HR.

Frogletmamma Wed 06-Dec-17 11:12:10

Use another toilet and spoil his fun!

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Wed 06-Dec-17 11:12:52

Report him.

BarbarianMum Wed 06-Dec-17 11:14:09

Why not knock on the door before opening it?

Grunkalunka Wed 06-Dec-17 11:19:12

Knock on the door. Take a bottle of water into work with you. I don't think toilet tap water would be very nice. He's a goady creep and enjoys it - starve him of the attention.

ThisLittleKitty Wed 06-Dec-17 11:21:29

You drink tap water from the toilets? confused

forumuser Wed 06-Dec-17 11:23:48

yabu to drink water from the toilet tap. Your boss is an ass.

hdgxx Wed 06-Dec-17 11:25:45

Of course I drink tap water from the toilets, it's exactly the same water as in the kitchen downstairs. I'm not scooping it out of the loo. I personally don't think his ignorance should stop me refilling my water bottle 😂 I am just looking for advice on how to deal with it. Thanks all!

scurryfunge Wed 06-Dec-17 11:27:32

I thought someone would focus on the tap water instead of his behaviour, OP. Report him.

RhiannonOHara Wed 06-Dec-17 11:28:47

Yep, report.

NaiceBiscuits Wed 06-Dec-17 11:28:47

Do you have an HR dept, a boss higher than him, or is is the boss at the top?

windowSong Wed 06-Dec-17 11:28:54

Just knock first. Problem solved.

JustAnIdiot Wed 06-Dec-17 11:29:50

Yuck - he is likely getting off on this.

I'd get water from the kitchen downstairs so as not to give him the satisfaction - more exercise anyway.

ThisLittleKitty Wed 06-Dec-17 11:30:35

If he is doing it on purpose then knocking wouldn't help as I imagine he will just ignore the op so she walks in anyway.

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 06-Dec-17 11:31:44

hdgxx usually the water that comes in to the taps in the kitchen is coming straight from the freshwater pipes servicing a premises. The water that is coming from the taps in a bathroom/wc are being fed from the water tank.
I wouldn't be using that to drink from.
Also, taps in a wc/bathroom have an unbelievable number of bacteria on them from people who have just used the toilet and they go to wash their hands. Yeuck!
Report to HR.

Rudgie47 Wed 06-Dec-17 11:31:48

You do realize that in the works toilet area there will be germs flying about? Its not the same as getting a drink from a kitchen area.
We once had a talk at work from Enviromental Health and they went into why hand dryers shouldnt be used in public toilets. Basically particles of excrement can end up on your hands.
So I wouldnt be getting a drink out of the toilet area.
Also the boss needs reporting to HR, hes a pervert and getting off on it.

BossyBitch Wed 06-Dec-17 11:31:56

Report him! I'd (rightly!!!!) Get fired if I pulled that stunt - and not just if the accidental walk-in happened to be a subordinate.

Utterly and completely inappropriate!

BalloonSlayer Wed 06-Dec-17 11:33:01

eek I would never use the tap in the bogs to fill my water bottle. People hit the taps with their dirty hands while washing them all the time. yuck yuck. And I am not normally worried about that sort of thing.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Wed 06-Dec-17 11:34:00

It is absolutely not the same water that comes out of the kitchen taps... Grim. On all counts.

ThisLittleKitty Wed 06-Dec-17 11:34:55

I was just thinking about the poo particles that will be on the taps.

VelvetSpoon Wed 06-Dec-17 11:37:18

Water from the toilet sink is almost certainly not drinking water. All sinks in our office are marked up as not for drinking, we have to drink from water coolers only.

Fill your bottle from the appropriate place. And tell your boss you're reporting the fact the door lock doesn't work properly to maintenance....

SendintheArdwolves Wed 06-Dec-17 11:37:57

OK, ignoring the tap/water argument, do you have an HR dept, or does your boss have a boss that you could discuss this with?

It's not ok - you have asked him to stop, he knows you don't like it yet he finds it 'hilarious' when you walk in on him. You need to take this over his head and get someone to put a stop to it.

Don't fall into the trap of playing some kind of tit-for-tat game, 'spoiling his fun' or waste time thinking of something 'really cutting' to say to him - that all falls under the heading of Playing Along. You need to escalate this. Makes notes of times and dates when it happened, when you spoke to him and what he said in return, and take it all to his boss/HR.

LilyDisney Wed 06-Dec-17 11:38:08

Report the boss.

And stop drinking toilet water. Just think of the tap......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now