Talk

Advanced search

Ill child - sort of

(6 Posts)
Notwittyenough Wed 06-Dec-17 10:24:53

More of a wwyd.

My dd(2) has been ill with a cold for a little while now. At one point she developed quite a high fever while at the childminder, so I had to go and pick her up - no problem, I am very lucky in that I have a very understanding boss and the ability to work from home when needed. I stayed home with her for a few days until she seemed better - still as snotty as hell, but the temperature went down and she was fine in herself. Anyway, at the weekend her temperature went back up. Nothing overly high - it spent most of its time around 37.5, but did spike up to 38 at a couple of points.

I had previously been told by my childminder that she could take her provided her temp didn't go above 38. I was going to just send her in back in on Monday, but I figured I would check with my childminder first that she was happy to have her. Anyway, the childminder asked that I keep her home until she was better. All fine in theory at that point, I agreed to keep her home.

On Monday I did take her to the doctor given she had had a high temp, spiking into a fever for over a week at that point. The doctor gave her a check over, said everything seemed fine. The temperature was odd, but nothing to worry about at that point, and there wasn't anything they could do anyway. Still all fine - I figured she just had a persistent cold. I get them all the time.

Anyway, it is now Wednesday and I am still stuck at home with my daughter who, aside from a marginally elevated temperature, seems fine. It has been hovering in the low 37's for the last couple of days, but hasn't gone over 37.5 for the last 24 hours.

The thing is, I'm not sure if this classes as 'better'. Obviously I'm not going to wait until she doesn't have a cold before I send her back - I'll be waiting until March! But her temperature isn't back down to normal, but it also isn't high enough to count as a fever anymore. Working from home is starting to get a bit more difficult as there is only so long I can cuddle her up on the sofa watching TV, especially as she doesn't seem to be particularly ill anymore and is unsurprisingly getting bored. Also, I have a meeting tomorrow morning that I simply cannot miss. I have already had to rearrange a weeks worth of the buggers, but this one is very long and will be difficult to move this close to Christmas - not to mention I need to cover what is in it.

So - wwyd. I could dose her up on calpol to get her temperature down the last half a degree, but that feels like cheating. I'm starting to get worried it'll be days more before it goes completely back to normal - and whlist my work is generally very tolerant, I don't really want to be pushing this too far. Or should I just suck it up and keep her home a bit longer?

In the interest of fairness - this is a particularly sucky week for this to have happened. Usually my husband covers some of the time off (he did last week) but this week everyone in his office is on holiday - he is already covering 3 people and cannot take the time off work, as someone has to be in the office. My emergency childcare is also ill, and my family all work/have small children I wouldn't want to pass anything on to.

memememe Wed 06-Dec-17 10:38:04

if she is well enough to participate in the planned activites then i would send her to the childminder. you cant keep her home for a cold. i would say as her temp is below 38 and the dr has given the all clear id send her in.

Notwittyenough Wed 06-Dec-17 11:06:21

Yeah, I'm leaning towards sending her in - I just don't want to annoy the cm, who is always very good with this sort of thing.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 06-Dec-17 11:08:39

Give her the Calpol and send her in. Colds can linger a long time.

Whitecovers Wed 06-Dec-17 11:11:29

I would also give her Calpol and take her to childminders if she feels fine in herself.

My ds has been like this too for the last few days and has just broke out in chicken pox.

BlackInk Wed 06-Dec-17 11:19:57

Hi OP

Anything between 36.5 and 37.5 is a completely normal temperature. Even 38 is only a mild temperature, and not really 'spiking a fever'.

If she's ok in herself, eating and drinking some and not too unhappy, I would say she's fine to go to the childminder. She doesn't need Calpol or anything unless she's in pain / discomfort. No need to use it to bring down a temperature that's pretty much within normal range anyway.

Obviously if you're worried about her, or her temperature goes well above 37.5 and doesn't settle after a few days you might want to take her back to the GP to make sure she doesn't have a post-viral infection that needs antibiotics.

BI

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now