Talk

Advanced search

Anxiety and signed off work

(11 Posts)
NoUseNumber27 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:01:23

Not really an AIBU but posting here for traffic.

Have been signed off work for a few weeks due to anxiety, I'm worried about going out as I fear that means they could sack me? If someone sees me will they think I am making it up?

I'm not sure if it's my anxiety talking or if I should just stay at home until I'm back at work although fear that may make me worse rather than better?

I'm so confused! Please help.

DollyPartonsBeard Wed 06-Dec-17 10:15:35

I'm sorry to hear this. The GP has signed you off work because you're not well enough to work, but you're still allowed to live. Remind yourself that you're off sick, not under house arrest.

That said, it's not easy, but you need to do whatever will make you feel better. If that means going for a walk or meeting a friend, or even just getting the shopping, then do it.

You can't be sacked, and if the GP has provided a medical opinion that you're not fit to work then your employer needs to abide by that.

Steakandchips3 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:33:56

You are signed off from work for anxiety, this doesn't mean you can't leave the house and do normal daily things. It means that you are not fit to do your job at the moment. I would actually encourage you to get out and about as it might be therapeutic.

Chipsahoy Wed 06-Dec-17 10:38:44

Doesn't matter what others think. Your Dr has signed you off as he or she agrees you are too unwell to work.
I had a week off two yrs ago for similar reasons and I went on a daily walk with my dh and even out to lunch one day. I was a wreck. But being out with my dh getting fresh air and doing nice things actually helped me get on top of things quickly.

NeilTheSloth Wed 06-Dec-17 10:50:56

when I was signed off with anxiety a few years ago the occupational health department at my actually encouraged me to leave the house every day, for a short walk, a trip to the shops etc. Their reasoning being that if you stay holed up in the house you will get used to being in your ‘safe space’ all the time and make a return to wor even harder.

You are signed off to get better, and if that involves fresh air and leaving the house, that’s what you need to do!

Tazmum01 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:54:22

I'm off too at the moment, my GP wants me to get out of the house, but I'm really struggling. I'm okay in my car, I can drop the kids off at school and do pick up, but I don't want to see anyone or talk to anyone. She's suggested putting in some earphones, even if they're not connected to anything and having a half hour walk every day. Harder than it sounds though.

Binkybix Wed 06-Dec-17 10:57:04

I’m signed off for similar reasons - have actively been making myself go out to build myself back up to going to work.

Tinuviel Wed 06-Dec-17 11:59:29

When signed off with anxiety, I was told specifically to do as much as I felt comfortable doing and that carrying on with the bits of my life I could cope with was far better than staying at home.

Korez Wed 06-Dec-17 13:51:31

After a traumatic event I was signed off from work for half a year... due to anxiety I was unable to leave the house for a few months and actively encouraged by work and docs to get out and about as part of recovery....

I don't know your situation, but mine improved slowly... I still have blips but a lot less often...

Hope you feel better about it all soon x

Glumglowworm Wed 06-Dec-17 13:55:25

When I was signed off, my GP and occupational health and my (excellent and supportive) manager all agreed it was good for me to get out and about.

Staying at home 24/7 isn’t good for MH conditions, and makes it harder when you do have to go back to work.

NoUseNumber27 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:04:59

Thank you for all your help. I've only been home a few days and already feeling nervous about going out, so I know it isn't right to stay in the whole time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: