Talk

Advanced search

Kids changing/showering/bathing privacy

(17 Posts)
wasthataburp Wed 06-Dec-17 07:20:27

At what age did your kids want a little privacy with these things? Was it something they initiated or you just knew they were old enough and started giving them more privacy?

thirstyformore Wed 06-Dec-17 07:22:24

My dd8 will shut the door now whilst she's in the bath or shower. Has done for a good 6 months.

TReed84 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:23:16

Message deleted by MNHQ.

DonkeyOaty Wed 06-Dec-17 07:29:17

What is your AIBU please?

Crumbs1 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:39:59

Mine were never bothered and still aren’t as young adults. They didn’t really go through an awkward phase.

MrsKCastle Wed 06-Dec-17 07:49:24

DD1 was about 8. She made the decision herself and has been quite clear about closing doors etc. I'm allowed to come into the bathroom when she's in the bath, but I'm the only one, she doesn't want to be naked in front of anyone else.

ChilliMum Wed 06-Dec-17 07:51:30

Dd started asking for some privacy (shower alone, close the bedroom door when she is changing etc) around 9/10 the start of puberty when her body began changing.

We follow her lead, it's been quite natural. She might still shout for one of us when she's in the shower (forgot shampoo etc) but we would always knock before entering (especially dh as he finds it much more embarrassing than she does and will always ask her if she wants to grab a towel before he enters).

Ds is 7 and shows no sign of being bothered yet, maybe he will never be bothered. We will follow his lead too.

Tinselistacky Wed 06-Dec-17 07:59:19

Dd 12 is happy to shower while I potter and chat in the bathroom . Ds 9 is def happy and gives me a run down of his movements - always tells me he has scrubbed his nuts!!. No shame that lad!!

StrongerThanIThought76 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:02:17

Ds14 has only been showering for about a year with the door closed, dd11 about the same time (both want a bit of privacy because of changing bodies).

We're an open-about-nakedness sort of family though, i still have visitors in the bathroom without knocking!

FaintlyBaffled Wed 06-Dec-17 08:26:09

DS at about 10 or 11 I suppose. Couldn't really tell you as it sort of evolved rather than suddenly happening one night IYSWIM?

RoseAndRose Wed 06-Dec-17 08:26:58

OP - why are you asking?

What age are your DC?

PinkyBlunder Wed 06-Dec-17 08:31:28

When they ask for it or indicate that they could do with time being alone. There’s no set age

OhWotIsItThisTime Wed 06-Dec-17 08:32:00

7 for ds1. Ds2 loves being starkers.

LalaLeona Wed 06-Dec-17 10:13:38

Why do you want to know could you explain op

sailorcherries Wed 06-Dec-17 10:19:45

DS1 is 7 and still walks around naked before and after showers, changes and bathes with the door open. He only wants the door closed if someone comes in the house (although not my parents or sister as we lived with them for a while).

We have to actively encourage him to shut the door when he's on the toilet.
No shame.

Apileofballyhoo Wed 06-Dec-17 10:25:31

DS (9) started asking for privacy when he's doing a poo about a year ago. He isn't bothered about being seen in the bath or doing a wee.

Sparklemummyx0x0x Wed 06-Dec-17 10:29:20

DS has just turned 8 and still doesn't care, has no shame. That's with me, at his dads I'm not sure, I presume the same. Don't know when that will come in. Uses a cubicle at swimming, but that's more for other girls privacy than his.
I was wondering that myself the other day though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now