Talk

Advanced search

Godparents

(12 Posts)
Frenchkippy Wed 06-Dec-17 02:37:35

For years we have given Godchild (aged 14) bday and Xmas presents - usually £20 for each. Father of Godchild who is Godfather to our DD (aged 11) did not send a present or even a card for our DD this year. Do we continue sending bday and Cmas presents or do I question it with the pompous mother and if s, how?

Slapbetcommissioner Wed 06-Dec-17 02:48:48

Why would you question it with the mother and not the father as he's the one who is godfather to your child?

Ameliablue Wed 06-Dec-17 02:51:24

Your relationship with your godchild is independent of your child's relationship with their godparent.

LondonGirl83 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:04:18

The fact that you don't like his wife is probably not helping your relationship

Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Wed 06-Dec-17 07:07:46

Just ask, my SIL and I just had the "how much are you going to spend this xmas convo" So much better to have it all out, But definitely ask the Dad.

Caulk Wed 06-Dec-17 07:13:03

If your child’s godparent was someone else who also didn’t give money, would you continue to give it to your godchild?

HuskyMcClusky Wed 06-Dec-17 07:17:37

do I question it with the pompous mother and if s, how?

That’s not really how present-giving works.

Either give the child a present, or don’t. You don’t go asking where your child’s reciprocal present is.

Frenchkippy Wed 06-Dec-17 08:02:03

I would question it with the mother as we are the ones who always end up questioning each other as to what our husbands' Godchildren want? I used to get him gifts on behalf of my husband ( very impressed if there are many fathers out there who buy, wrap and send their Godchildren gifts) but she was the one who requested money instead.

Wolfiefan Wed 06-Dec-17 08:08:56

If the father is the Godparent what has it got to do with the mother? Pompous or not. (Rude much?! confused)
Either buy as usual or explain you've decided to rein back on Christmas spending this year and are only buying for family.

kaytee87 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:12:26

Your bar is set pretty low if you're impressed by a man who can buy, wrap and send a gift.

I wouldn't question it as that's a bit aggressive. Ask your husband if he wants to continue sending his godchild a present then leave it up to him.

Zoomaa Wed 06-Dec-17 08:19:17

You have low father and godfather expectations.

My child's godfather sends gifts and cards every year. Himself. Because hes a grown adult with a credit card who can write.

Question it with the godfather if you want, but don't punish your godchild for it!

Zoomaa Wed 06-Dec-17 08:19:44

Oh sorry it's your husbands godchild. Get him to sort it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now