Talk

Advanced search

... to ask wtf is an “influencer”??

(8 Posts)
minniemummy0 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:04:55

I keep seeing this on people’s social media descriptions/biographies. AIBU to ask what exactly they mean by this? They influence people to what exactly?? It just seems a weird thing to say of yourself. To influence in general... like, i might be influenced by a politician to vote a certain way or change my view on some current affairs issue. I might be influenced by a makeup artist to buy a new palette. I might be influenced by a critic to try a book or film. But none of these actually describe themselves as an influencer. Seems so wanky and pretentious. Also reminds me of people who describe themselves as “mad”/“crazy” as if it’s a fun thing when really they need to bore off.

SlackerMum1 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:08:26

Can’t answer for what people wrote on social media but a professional ‘influencer’ is just a more modern name for a lobbyist.....

CaptainMarvelDanvers Tue 05-Dec-17 22:09:02

It’s someone who is a social media personality and has a large social media following.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Tue 05-Dec-17 22:12:57

I think it's someone who has a lot of followers on social media.

I think it looks a bit twattish to have it in your bio though. It's a meaningless word/'job' when it comes down to it and means next to nothing in the real world.

DeadGood Tue 05-Dec-17 22:15:21

“I might be influenced by a makeup artist to buy a new palette... But none of these actually describe themselves as an influencer.”

I would say that a makeup artist is a perfect example of someone who might describe themselves as an “influencer”.

Basically it’s a bit like an updated version of “the Delia effect”. Someone that people look up to, or aspire to be like, recommends something - then people go out and buy it. That’s what an influencer is.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 05-Dec-17 22:17:18

If you have to say it, it's not true. I call that the 'Posh Spice Rule'.

Madcatter Tue 05-Dec-17 22:21:32

It's someone paid to talk about a product to their social media following. Bloggers, YouTubers - lots of them paid to prattle on about the products they 'just love'.

Google Zoella.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Tue 05-Dec-17 22:38:44

If you have to say it, it's not true. I call that the 'Posh Spice Rule'

grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: