Talk

Advanced search

Can someone who has complex health needs have health anxiety?

(19 Posts)
HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 05-Dec-17 18:38:13

Probably should have name changed for this.

I post a few times but I've noticed myself it's always health related - but it's always turned out to be something if that makes sense?

Have Lupus; had Sepsis x2, oral cancer from a mouth ulcer - caught early thanks to mumsnet, mini stroke. All in more or less in a year. And I'm 25

But now today I saw the dr and mentioned during a medication review that I hear a heartbeat in my ear and I've been reffered for tests as apparently it's not normal.
It's the same side which my TIA affected and been getting headaches - that's when this heart beat started after an horrendous headache and it hasn't gone.

So tonight I'm a bit anxious as dr seemed a bit concerned.

So is this health anxiety or is it normal to worry?

I probably show paranoia after even posting this. I know MN will tell the truth.

JoJoBow Tue 05-Dec-17 18:43:11

I remember your thread about the mouth ulcer. I don't think from your posts that you sound either unduly anxious or unduly looking for reassurance. Given the year you've had, I think pretty much anyone would be a bit worried about another potential referral/set of tests.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 05-Dec-17 19:02:10

@JoJo I appreciate it.
I understand me even posting this I kind of am looking for reassurance that I'm not over reacting.
I don't talk to anyone about health in RL so mumsnet has been an outlet.

Just having a paranoid day haha.

Lily2007 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:05:07

Very normal to worry though you can have both. I would definitely get it checked out.

BitchyHen Tue 05-Dec-17 19:14:55

I don't think you're over reacting. You've been through a lot.
It might be worth looking at IIH for your headaches and whooshing in your ears. It's not normally connected to sepsis, but I developed it after sepsis and my neurologist said he believed that was the cause. Have you had any issues with your eyes or nausea?
Symptoms here:
www.nhs.uk/conditions/intracranial-hypertension/#symptoms-of-chronic-ih

HCantThinkOfAUsername Tue 05-Dec-17 20:08:17

@bitchy yes since the mini stroke my vision has deteriorated in my right eye but it was found that I've a small bleed behind my eye as the cause.
I will check that out thank you.

Punstow61 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:32:36

You sound like anyone would if all that had happened to them in a year! You do not sound paranoid or like you're overreacting, just worried about the next set of tests. Which is all perfectly reasonable. I hope you get answers and that your health improves. I know what it's like to have a string of health issues, and I also felt like that made me a hypochondriac. I'm not sure how to explain what I mean! I worry constantly that other people think I'm being moany and making a fuss when in fact I am actually not well. Don't be hard on yourself. Take care and don't worry x

BitchyHen Wed 06-Dec-17 05:44:02

I meant to say have a look at post sepsis syndrome, it can cause a range of physical, mental and emotional issues. It might explain some of the anxiety.

SadTrombone Wed 06-Dec-17 05:54:34

Is the whooshing in your ear in time with your heartbeat pulsatile tinnitus? GP will almost always do ENT referral for that, especially if it's only on one side. Could be benign intracranial hypertension which isn't life-threatening or anything. I'm a similar age to you and have been referred for the same thing myself.

PinkyBlunder Wed 06-Dec-17 08:47:28

No, I wouldn’t say you had health anxiety as your level of anxiety sounds within a normal range for someone that’s had a lot of health problems and is waiting for more results.

I hope everything is ok OP and you can relax a bit knowing that your awful year is behind you flowers

HCantThinkOfAUsername Wed 06-Dec-17 12:32:06

Thank you all, you've made me feel better. I never used to worry.
Yes it's a whooshing in my right ear and in time with my heartbeat. I'm generally tachycardic and it's in sync.
It is driving me up the wall.
Suppose just a bit worried with it being the same side that was affected from mini stroke (facial palsy; vision, weakness etc)
It only started since my headaches have -same side of the head also.

Sorry I'm rabbiting on here haha.
I do feel like a hyperchondriac it's mad. It's like the medics have to tell me I'm unwell if that makes sense?

I sound really silly I don't know how to explain it haha.

Mumto2two Wed 06-Dec-17 12:43:08

My 8 year old has had multiple health issues, and I can tell you, she herself suffers from anxiety! Of course this is to be expected, especially when there is such a significant history.
Regarding your mouth ulcer, that is such good news. My poor mother discovered an ulcer in her 40's, but after being fobbed off by doctors for months, it turned out to be an aggressive and extensive cancer, and she had to have half her face and neck removed, and they reconstituted this from her chest and arm, over many operations they took 3 years in total. It was an horrific outcome for her, and she barely existed after that. Her joy for life was sadly gone. Please don't feel ashamed of your anxiety, it is perfectly acceptable! flowers

Mumto2two Wed 06-Dec-17 12:55:03

Forgot to add, regarding your comment on not talking about your anxiety in RL, I totally get that too.
My daughter has had many severe health issues, and sometimes my anxiety for her can be overwhelming, as well as having some issues of my own too. And I have found it quite disheartening at times, at how disinterested people can seem.
We are one of these positive happy types, we wear our happy face, even if we are worried sick and things are not going well at all. It's often easier to just smile and say...yes we're all fine. There are a couple of close friends who have been very supportive, but beyond that, I have found people to be quite complacent and simply don't understand how tough having an illness or a child with an illness can be. So don't worry OP, you are definitely not alone smile

BitchyHen Wed 06-Dec-17 22:17:07

@SadTrombone are you in the Facebook group IIH support UK? If not I highly recommend it. You don't have to be diagnosed to join and as its a rare disease, a lot of the members are more knowledgeable than your average neurologist. I'm in remission now but I found the support invaluable when I was ill.

Ekphrasis Wed 06-Dec-17 22:35:18

No I don't think you do.

I had the same worry as I have a three manageable chronic conditions but diagnosing them took a long time and I wasn't well. They all cause fatigue and I learnt to be my own researcher to try to problem solve and find a diagnosis with the gp or how to feel better. I often found it hard to describe symptoms so had to try to work out how best to do so. I had a type of trauma from it (first one happened when I was a young adult) and ended up finally getting the right sort of therapy which showed me it wasn't health anxiety. My health being shit can cause anxiety and it's been stressful when wilting Witt the gp to find out the causes.

Given what you've been through you're being sensible by checking things out when there are symptoms. I tend to say - I just want to check this is fine, rule out anything major etc. Which is sensible self care. Also, you're sense of perspective can be twisted a bit either way- I found I tend to dismiss symptoms too much which leads to be getting very ill. Then I found I felt I had to query more things just in case for a bit. I couldn't judge. So I let the gp judge.

Does this make sense?

I hope you're better soon.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Fri 08-Dec-17 21:11:11

Thank you all, really, thank you. I feel a bit better now. The worry doesn't consume me etc so think - hope - it's just natural anxiety about it all.

QueenOnAPlate Sat 09-Dec-17 22:20:06

Hi, it definitely sounds like IIH- and you should see GP asap as it's very treatable but can cause blindness if you don't do anything about it. I was diagnosed 6 months ago and the medication is horrible at first but i feel pretty much back to normal now with the odd flare, and my vision has returned to a safe place.
It's really rare, so it's worth printing off the info and taking it to the GP.

Cosmic123 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:41:52

As someone who has crippling health anxiety I would say even if you don't have it, googling or going in forums (even mumsnet) to seek reassurance will give you anxiety.
You've done the right thing going to the doctor. Doctors are often not very reassuring. I had horrible noises in one ear and cropping headaches for over two years. I believe it was muscular tension. I was referred here there and everywhere. Acupuncture helped me a lot, as well as taking up yoga and mediation and not trying to the best of my ability not to google or ask anything medical related to people on the internet. I hope you feel better.

Cosmic123 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:42:57

*crippling not cropping hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now