Talk

Advanced search

To be still grinning at such silliness?

(393 Posts)
BoobleMcB Tue 05-Dec-17 16:56:14

So I was casually minding my own business, plodding along when I heard a fella on the phone state that:

Well it was clearly Thursday that broke the camel's straw...

I just about rounded the corner chuckling to myself hoping he didn't notice 😂

What other common sayings have heard people say wrong?

BlackeyedSusan Tue 05-Dec-17 17:08:05

oh giddy my aunts

StereophonicallyChallenged Tue 05-Dec-17 17:10:43

"It's as plain as the eye can see" grin

Said by colleague. She is known for her linguistic clangers, and I do wonder if she plays it up sometimes for effect wink

BrokenBattleDroid Tue 05-Dec-17 17:12:23

Colleague referring to her husband: "He's not he brightest tool in the shed" grin

BrokenBattleDroid Tue 05-Dec-17 17:13:20

Ruined that, I mean 'in THE shed'

BoobleMcB Tue 05-Dec-17 17:22:59

A colleague once asked what the current exchange rate was for Welsh money

Kenworthington Tue 05-Dec-17 17:45:18

My (non English) coworker once said ‘it’s not my pair of shoes’ instead of ‘it’s not my cup of tea grin This was YEARS ago and it still makes me chuckle a bit when I think of I t

Hippee Tue 05-Dec-17 17:49:05

My Brazilian colleague used to translate her sayings into English (so they weren't wrong, just ones we hadn't heard before). I used to love to hear her say "your head isn't just for wearing a hat" when a student had been particularly dopey.

KurriKurri Tue 05-Dec-17 17:54:55

I mentioned this on another thread recently, but I have a friend who when asked about someone's dodgy relationship said 'well it throws up all kinds of red herrings for me'

Notsooriginalwerther Tue 05-Dec-17 18:00:59

Hah! Those are so funny! My sister always says ‘well yeah, but that’s a completely different kettle of chips isn’t it?’ 😂😂😂 I did say ‘fish - you mean fish’ and she looked at me like I’d slapped her and said, ‘why would anyone boil fish in a kettle...?’ But WHO WOULD BOIL A KETTLE OF CHIPS?!?!

Same sister also believed whole heartedly that a dock leaf was called a ‘dot’ leaf.

She never fails to make me laugh.

Flamingoingmad Tue 05-Dec-17 18:01:49

My DP once said "Well does the Pope still shit in the wood if no one can hear him?" It's sort of stuck.

Cabininthewoods69 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:03:04

I don't have any but I'm reading them

daimbar Tue 05-Dec-17 18:06:23

My boss said ‘I went as white as a sheep’ today. It was hard to keep a straight face.

daimbar Tue 05-Dec-17 18:07:26

Also ‘no thanks that’s my worst cup of tea’ from my friend the other day.

SemolinaSilkpaws Tue 05-Dec-17 18:08:28

My sister once asked if a man she was interested in was illegible instead of eligible.

mumonashoestring Tue 05-Dec-17 18:09:02

Some years ago, two elderly ladies coming out of Barclays together into the drizzle:

"Ooh it's rotten, this weather"
'Well dear it's better than nothing'
grin

Auburn2001 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:10:54

OP that is hilarious fgrin All these malapropisms (?) are funny.

Blueemeraldagain Tue 05-Dec-17 18:11:12

My Polish friend used to translate Polish sayings into English for example "oh yeah and the cactus will grow from my hand" (equivalent to pigs might fly)or I look like a drowned chicken ( equivalent to I look like a drowned rat). I actually think the drowned chicken saying is better than the English one.

HamSandWitches Tue 05-Dec-17 18:12:41

I asked for a chicken milkshake at mcdonalds drive thru last week and even repeated it when she asked what I had said giggling, one of the kids from the back shouted mam chocolate milkshake, you asked for a chicken one.

Izzy24 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:15:45

‘He’s making me the escape goat’.....😳

user1493413286 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:18:49

I’m awful at mixing up sayings like that; would be quite happy I’d made someone laugh if they overheard it though

yawning801 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:21:00

Someone said to me once "Me and xxx don't see nose to nose." It still makes me laugh today

juddyrockingcloggs Tue 05-Dec-17 18:23:09

Iv posted here before about it but up til only a few months ago I thought it was 'shitting through the eye of an eagle'!! No one ever corrected me!

FizzyGreenWater Tue 05-Dec-17 18:25:45

Someone I know always says -

'It's disappeared off the centre of the earth!'

Mental picture of a giant tottering pile of lost belongings at the molten core of the planet. Oh THAT'S where my slipper went!

BahBumHug Tue 05-Dec-17 18:34:17

My mum has many, “cool out man”, she told us she had to eat “apple pie at work” (meant humble pie). Her sister’s just as bad, told her husband his “Duck was cooked” in the middle of a row grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: