Talk

Advanced search

if someone said you loved attention

(20 Posts)
BornInSydneyy Tue 05-Dec-17 16:51:49

Aibu to find that insulting?

Or can it be taken in a different way?

Liskee Tue 05-Dec-17 16:56:22

Depends who said it and in what context....but probably mostly it would be an insult, yes.

Twitchingdog Tue 05-Dec-17 16:58:27

Maybe they are being trueful ?

BMW6 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:58:44

Attention-loving = Drama Llama, so not good.......

Trinity66 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:59:30

I would say insulting 90% of the time but depends on context

upperlimit Tue 05-Dec-17 16:59:39

I suppose it could be ok. If someone said it of a child that's considered fairly reasonable.

steff13 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:00:29

I wouldn't take it as a compliment.

upperlimit Tue 05-Dec-17 17:00:56

Oh, if I loved attention? Sorry, no, that's pure insult.

FittonTower Tue 05-Dec-17 17:02:11

If I offered to do the presentation/speech at a big event and my colleagues laughed and said I loved the attention I wouldn't be offended.
If my child was ill or my marriage was breaking down and someone said I loved the attention I'd be very very offended.
Context makes a difference.

CuppaSarah Tue 05-Dec-17 17:02:26

I would take it as a compliment, because I do like attention and I do put myself out there a lot. I'm not a drama queen, I just like to be recognised for my efforts. So yes I think it's a compliment, but if someone thinks liking attention is a bad thing they're a bit daft anyway.

DameFanny Tue 05-Dec-17 17:02:56

I'd say it's insulting. I'd wonder if they were projecting, because attention seekers tend not to be reflective enough to start threads worrying about it.

So, be honest with yourself, are you an attention seeker? Or did you get in their light?

pandarific Tue 05-Dec-17 17:52:33

That’s an insult, or at the least, an attempt to ‘take you down a peg or two’.

Does this person somehow see you as a threat to them? They don’t like your confidence it sounds to me.

Growingboys Tue 05-Dec-17 17:54:17

Def an insult I'm afraid! Then again some of my favourite people love attention, and I will take the piss about it, but it's not a good quality in itself.

Janetsadick Tue 05-Dec-17 17:55:15

Some people like to maximise drama if that’s what you mean?

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Dec-17 17:56:53

More information/context is needed here OP.

The question is pretty unanswerable without it.

Peanutbuttercheese Tue 05-Dec-17 17:59:06

Almost exclusively used as an insult but yes context required.

MuseumOfCurry Tue 05-Dec-17 17:59:55

I'm not sure we do need context. It is straightforwardly an insult.

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Dec-17 18:05:28

Don't be silly Curry

The OP could be first up on the kareoke every weekend, or into amateur dramatics...that sort of thing.

It's not that straightforward at all without context.

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Dec-17 18:06:31

Sorry, the 'don't be silly' sounded rude blush

Spangles1963 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:38:04

It depends on the context in which it was said. Saying someone loves attention is like stating a fact or making an observation. On the other hand,saying that someone is an attention seeker can come across as an insult. My exP said this to me on several occasions when we argued. It is so not true. If he'd known anything at all about me,one thing he would have known was that I am NOT an attention seeker! I just prefer to blend in and not stand out from the crowd at all. I hate having my photo taken,and my idea of hell would be to appear on TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now