Talk

Advanced search

To think that multivitamins will help me?

(21 Posts)
SouthernNorthernGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 16:29:45

I'm tired, unhappy, and overall unwell. I've been to the doctor, multiple times and I have low iron due to heavy periods (fibroid caused)

I'm so exhausted. I'll clean a room, and then run out of energy. I normally end up napping, and then I'll be in a rain fog for the rest of the day. I'm a SAHM with school age children, and I'm already wanting to go to bed now.
I think the unhappiness is due to the dark at the moment. It seems to happen to me most winters confused

It's gone on too long now, and I've had a search on older MN threads for tips. I saw quite a bit about vitamins, mainly Berocca and Spatone, as well as Vit d

AIBU to think this will help? If so, any suggestions on what ones? If not, what will?

SouthernNorthernGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 16:30:29

brain fog*

Yogagirl123 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:38:53

Worth a try OP, I have a chronic illness and take supplements as recommended by my Neurologist, I take a high dose vitamin d, a multi vitamin and Magnesium. I also use a SAD lamp in winter. Hope you feel better soon.

JollyGiraffe Tue 05-Dec-17 16:41:45

Have they tested your vitamin B12?

I had all the symptoms you describe (+nausea and panic attacks) and when my B12 was tested I was very severely deficient. Felt fine after some injections!

SouthernNorthernGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 16:41:59

Thanks Yoga does it help quite a bit?

SouthernNorthernGirl Tue 05-Dec-17 16:43:11

No, they haven't tested that Jolly. They don't really seem that bothered about any of it. Just told me, and that was that.

NewspaperTaxis Tue 05-Dec-17 16:47:02

You can get cheapo vits from 'Savers', a high-street store that might be near you. Around £1.50 for 30.

I'd suggest Folic Acid, Vitamin D... actually I get the Vit D from Holland & Barrett. Vit B is good for energy, esp if taken with magnesium.

Getting up an hour earlier might help, as really the day feels over now as I type and it's only quarter to five! But that advice is easier said than done of course.

NewspaperTaxis Tue 05-Dec-17 16:48:03

Oh, and if you're low on energy, have canned soups such as veg and chicken and so on, I mean eating well helps doesn't it.

JollyGiraffe Tue 05-Dec-17 16:49:37

I wouldn't recommend taking magnesium unless your levels are actually low, as too much magnesium can be dangerous.

Are you taking iron supplements? Your symptoms do sound like anaemia (which can be caused by iron or folate or B12 deficiency). If you've been told you have low iron you really should be taking supplements.

Vitamin D won't do any harm (and we all need some, especially in winter!), nor will a multivitamin or a vitamin B combination tablet.

SouthernNorthernGirl Wed 06-Dec-17 07:57:27

I've bought a pack of Berocca, Spatone and some Vitamin D tablets (the higher mg) I got them from Boots, as they had 3 for 2, we do have a Savers in our town though so I will check that out Newspaper

Jolly I haven't been taken any supplements at all, I just wasn't sure on what I needed or what will help really.

swingofthings Wed 06-Dec-17 08:04:32

How low are your iron levels? If that came back low, your doctor should have recommended you take some tablets. You can get them without prescription at the pharmacy. It's not iron tablets, but ferrous sulfate.

I'd start with this as all you describe are symptoms of anaemia.

Ameliablue Wed 06-Dec-17 08:07:42

Vitamins may help but you have to consider your diet as a while too. E.g if you eat a lot of fatty sugary foods that will outweigh any benefits of multi vitamins.

bruffin Wed 06-Dec-17 08:14:39

Tescos do their own version of Barroca with exactly same ingredients but much cheaper

pinkdelight Wed 06-Dec-17 09:10:59

Just to say I rather liked 'rain fog' - I often have that feeling like I've been rained on, plus fogginess, so even if it was a mistake I'm going to use it.

Vitamins-wise, when I felt low I started taking well woman, cod liver oil and st john's wort, as much to feel like I was taking care of myself as anything. However if I was as exhausted as you sound, I'd get checked out at the GP. That's not normal. If the unhappiness may be SADS related, can you get a lamp? Would it help to find some sort of work to get you out and keep you motivated? Sometimes staying home and napping etc can be more draining and demotivating than getting out and forcing yourself to something energising.

pinkdelight Wed 06-Dec-17 09:11:56

* One of those special SADS lamps obv, not just any old lamp.

Nomoresugar Wed 06-Dec-17 09:14:29

I take vitamins C, D, E and folic acid and my once severe depression is now mild.

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Wed 06-Dec-17 09:14:40

Just as a warning..... Don't take at Johns wort if you are on any medication as it can interfere with it ( including the pill)

CiderwithBuda Wed 06-Dec-17 09:23:13

It definitely won't hurt. I would take what you have for a few weeks and see if you feel any better.

Also try and get outside every day for 30 mins or so - esp if it is at all sunny as that can really lift your mood.

Also try eating more iron rich foods and fruit and veg.

CoteDAzur Wed 06-Dec-17 09:30:00

“I'm tired, unhappy, and overall unwell. I've been to the doctor, multiple times and I have low iron due to heavy periods (fibroid caused).I'm so exhausted. I'll clean a room, and then run out of energy.”

You are anaemic due to low iron. Take iron supplements (get prescription for the capsule to drink - just one needed per season). Eat lots of red meat.

specialsubject Wed 06-Dec-17 09:33:15

Get the identified problem treated rather than farting about at the fluffy bunny shop.

misscph1973 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:44:41

Spatone is great, I take it daily, and so does my daughter. If you didn't get the one with vitamin C, make sure you take it with vitamin C (I guess berrocca has plenty of vitamin C?).

I think your Boots purchase sounds great! If you can add exercise (any!), enough sleep, good diet and enough water, then I am sure you will see results in a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now