Advanced search

To be angry with my doctors?

(15 Posts)
passemoilevin Tue 05-Dec-17 15:29:32

My DD has had to have a social services assessment done on her due to her dad having MH/ SM issues and generally being an abusive wanker.

Received the findings in the post today. All came back as expected and hoped for. Agency checks showed I was a good mum, well able to safeguard and parent my daughter etc.

Except her (and my) GP, who raised concerns that she wasn't up to date with her immunisations. I work at a (different) doctors booking imms all day long and I know she's up to date.

Called them. The receptionist checked and said I was right; she is up to date. I said that I knew that; but the doctor had given incorrect information which raised safeguarding concerns and I wanted this to be fed back to them. She said that it 'wasn't a big deal'.

I don't feel it's enough for a formal complaint, but should have been recorded so it wouldn't happen in the future to other families.

Anyway, AIBU to be annoyed by this? Maybe the stress of all this is just skewing my feelings but it's really pissed me off. In my surgery this would be taken pretty seriously.

ShatnersWig Tue 05-Dec-17 15:35:23

No, I think I'd be annoyed. That could have potentially caused problems for you but could definitely cause problems unnecessarily for someone else. It's always important that medical information is correct.

mumonashoestring Tue 05-Dec-17 15:40:38

You're better off raising concerns like that with the Practice Manager than the receptionists - GPs dishing out incorrect information could potentially be a very big deal for them.

IvorHughJarrs Tue 05-Dec-17 15:43:03

I would be annoyed too as wrong information in sensitive cases could have had consequences. Please write to the Practice Manager

RestingGrinchFace Tue 05-Dec-17 15:46:03

Well of course YANBU. Make a formal complaint. This is technically libel (not that I think you should sue in your situation that would be OTT). You should also complain about the receptionist-very bad customers service-who does she think she is to pass any judgment on the matter at all?

LazyDailyMailJournos Tue 05-Dec-17 15:51:40

Do raise it as a formal complaint. They have given incorrect information and it could have had a bearing on safeguarding issues. The receptionist also had no right to dismiss your feedback - speak to the Practice Manager.

OlennasWimple Tue 05-Dec-17 15:52:40

I would raise a complaint because it suggests that there is a fault with their record keeping which could lead to children having immunisations that they don't need, or missing out on ones that they do. As well as the potential implications in your scenario

LizzieSiddal Tue 05-Dec-17 15:56:16

Make an appointment to either speak to the practice manager or to see her. If the receptionist asks what it’s about, reply “A complaint”.

Tell the practice manager exactly what has happened and that you are very concerned that giving out incorrect info on such a sensitive matter, needs their urgent attention so it doesn’t happen to others.

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 05-Dec-17 16:03:04

As the others said raise it with practise manager.

Anything which is considered to be a safeguarding concern should be accurate

StarWarsFanatic Tue 05-Dec-17 16:04:37

Complain to the practice manager. YANBU.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 05-Dec-17 16:15:58

Yanbu, and it is a big deal. She shouldn't be trying to minimize their mistake.

Viviennemary Tue 05-Dec-17 16:17:18

You are right to be vey annoyed. And the receptionists attitude was a disgrace. I think she should be pulled up on this and you should complain to the practice manager. Don't tell the receptionist what it's about.

Migraleve Tue 05-Dec-17 16:20:57

I would be more pushed at the receptionists attitude than the initial problem, which DOES need to be brought to the PManagers attention.

What is it with receptionists thinking they are god angry

Migraleve Tue 05-Dec-17 16:21:25

More pissed I would be more pissed. Not pushed grin

passemoilevin Tue 05-Dec-17 18:16:54

Thanks everyone. Think I will make a complaint then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: