Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents for 10 and 12 year old boys?

(23 Posts)
SaucySadie Tue 05-Dec-17 15:09:36

Posting here for traffic as there is a similar question in toys and games section but nobody answered the OP. I need some inspiration for Christmas gifts for 10 and 12 year old boys. Like most children of this age they are tech crazy. The have an XBox 1, oldest a laptop and iPhone 5s, but I really don't want to go down the tech route (I already struggle to get them off the XBox/laptop). Any ideas please??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! This thread is a little out of date. If you're looking for toy recommendations, take a peek at our roundup of the top Christmas toys - as chosen by Mumsnetters. MNHQ

AckWhatToDo Tue 05-Dec-17 15:10:25

Budget?

LittleLights Tue 05-Dec-17 15:11:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LtGreggs Tue 05-Dec-17 15:12:58

Technic lego
How things work magazine subscription
Remote control anything
Clothes - or gift voucher to choose their own
Voucher for somewhere like a trampolining place
Sports kit, according to preference - eg mine would like cricket bat or swimming goggles

Biffsboys Tue 05-Dec-17 15:15:18

Hover board , bike go kart ? Trainers and tracksuits .

Trinity66 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:15:32

I just bought my 8 and 9 year old nephews itunes vouchers

Mamabear14 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:16:04

Mine are 11 and 13. I've just checked my lists and the non tech stuff is annuals (football, Guinness records and Ripleys) onesie, posters, DVD, goalie gloves, hoodie, phone case, pin art, emoji cushion shaped like a poo grin, dressing gown. As you say at that age it's mostly tech though and the rest is Xbox games and eldest wants a new headset.

Trinity66 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:16:28

Oh ok you don't want to go down the tech route, ignore my suggestion then!

House4 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:18:03

Bluetooth speaker, editing suite for creating videos ... sorry I have a techie DS too!
Day out gift voucher ie. driving Lamborghini
Are they into sports too?
It is so hard at this age!

TSSDNCOP Tue 05-Dec-17 15:21:39

An Alexa.

Lego, sports gear, iPod and iTunes vouchers, cinema tickets, day out carting or trampolining or to Harry Potter, raspberry pi, Anki overdrive, golf lessons.

justmatureenough2bdad Tue 05-Dec-17 15:29:51

i have just had this dilemma and ended up going for a graphic novel (and some sweets/chocolate)

lovelycuppateas Tue 05-Dec-17 15:38:55

We're getting my 11-year old Switch games, how to make movies book, make your own adventure book (quite old school this), bluetooth speakers, and I'm making up a little box of quirky antique-y stuff that I got on Ebay that I hope he'll like.

Monr0e Tue 05-Dec-17 15:39:58

I have an 11 year old DS. We and other family members have got him

Bluetooth headphones
Xbox One docking station (it charges the controllers)
Xbox game
Onesie
Pj's
Set of book - mortal instruments and Michael Gant
Trainers
Tracksuit
CD
Young drivers driving lesson
Gig ticket to see Ed Sheran
Toiletries
Sweets and chocs

Other ideas were magazine subscription
Sports gear ( he plays rugby)

Monr0e Tue 05-Dec-17 15:43:39

We also considered a den building kit like this one but decided he might not get much use out of it. But with 2 dc's close in age it might be something they could do together?
Also somethi g like a football table if you have the room and would consider joint presents.

And board games. Think we're going to give ticket to ride a go

Lostin3dspace Tue 05-Dec-17 15:46:52

I have a couple of nerdies to buy for, in which case:
Star Wars stuff
Warhammer / role play like dungeons and dragons
Marvel stuff - comics etc, memorabilia
Books of the above
Model kits

If yours is not nerdy, then the above should not be touched with a barge pole.

On the techie front - Xbox gold subscription for the year. A great repeat annual present!

Monr0e Tue 05-Dec-17 15:50:05

Lost how much is Xbox gold? What do you get? I'm always looking for ideas

Shakey15000 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:10:12

Junior driving lesson? I got my 10yr old one from Buyagift. Reasonable price, think I paid about £14

SaucySadie Tue 05-Dec-17 16:31:29

Some brilliant ideas here - thank you so much! Will probably spend about £100 each. Don't go too mad but don't want to be stingy either. Any other ideas, please keep them coming. I love Mumsnet ❤️

MyBonnieLiesOverTheOcean Tue 05-Dec-17 16:36:22

Airfix combustion engine? My 10 year old is getting that and his dad he is going to love it.

Best buy recently for mine has been Alexas. They have had endless fun out of asking her questions.

rcit Tue 05-Dec-17 16:38:07

Tshirt with fave game characters on it.

BrieAndChilli Tue 05-Dec-17 16:46:09

I got my DS a Star Wars book but with the story from different peoples perspectives eg the bad guys etc.

He’s just had a swamp animals set which is essentially sea monkeys. He’s only just got it and set it up so they haven’t hatched yet but he’s really involved with it.

DS is mainly video games and books, he’s 10.

BrieAndChilli Tue 05-Dec-17 16:46:48

Funky alarm clock, Lego, nice reading lamp, wallet,

MyrandaRoyce Tue 05-Dec-17 16:52:43

I find the Science Museum (and to lesser extent Natural History Museum) gift shop websites really helpful when looking for inspiration for presents for my nephews and godson. I usually also find a few bits for DH too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: