Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to ask nursery this?

(27 Posts)
LuckyAmy1986 Tue 05-Dec-17 07:49:38

Next week is DD's nativity, it starts at 9 but we are not allowed to bring toddler DS. He goes to nursery which is a 5 minute walk from school but he starts at 9 too so we wouldn't be able to make it back in time after drop off to get back into the 'show'! Both DH and I want to go as it is her first ever one. WIBU to ask nursery if I can drop him off 10 minutes early? Do you think they would say yes or charge me £30 or something?! In my head it's just too cheeky.

wowbutter Tue 05-Dec-17 07:50:37

You won't know if you don't ask.

BrutusMcDogface Tue 05-Dec-17 07:51:15

If the nursery is open early, and if they can cover him staffing wise, then of course you should ask! My nurseries would have charged the hourly rate for that extra time, which is a lot less than £30!

kimlo Tue 05-Dec-17 07:54:45

if they aren't open then they wont be insured to look after him.

If they are open and he just starts at 9, then it would be fine to ask.

RedSkyAtNight Tue 05-Dec-17 07:56:07

If nursery won't do it, then just get back to the school as quickly as you can. It's highly unlikely they will start on the dot of 9, and even if they do you'll still see your child performing (unless they literally have the first line and don't do anything else ...)

OhforfucksakeFay Tue 05-Dec-17 07:57:01

If it opens earlier ask and make it clear you are prepared to pay
If it doesn't open til 9 I doubt it's possible.
Otherwise one of you get there and save a seat, the other person is not likely to miss it or much.

LuckyAmy1986 Tue 05-Dec-17 08:00:04

Oh I should have made it clear, they are not open before 9. I mean the staff are there but they don't open the doors until 9. That probably makes a huge difference doesn't it? sad

BrutusMcDogface Tue 05-Dec-17 08:03:19

Erm, yes, I'd say so......

Your only option, then, is to do as pp suggested and one of you save the other a seat, or see if there's anyone else who could take him to nursery for you.

Ellisandra Tue 05-Dec-17 08:06:33

It's not tue only option at all.
Do any of the nursery staff offer babysitting? Some nurseries don't allow it, but many do. Arrange to drop your child off with a nursery worker who starts at 08:30 for them to take into to work at 09:00.
Even if all staff have to be in by 08:50, you may find they'll make an exception.

Alternative is just use a regular babysitter to do drop off.

Do you know any of the other nursery parents who could do this?

BrutusMcDogface Tue 05-Dec-17 08:07:29

Ok I stand corrected, but just using my previous experience!

NameChangedAndForgotOldName Tue 05-Dec-17 08:16:36

You can ask.
I know that my nursery would do, when I was really seriously ill they used to look after my dd in their dinner time so dh could pick her up in his dinner time, that nursery was amazing tho

diddl Tue 05-Dec-17 08:27:04

You can ask.

If not, one of you might have to wait at nursery & arrive late for the Nativity.

lalalonglegs Tue 05-Dec-17 08:28:05

Ime of having three children who have done countless assemblies, carol concerts, school plays and nativities, these things never start on time so, if the nursery doesn't allow early drop off, there is every chance you won't miss anything.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Tue 05-Dec-17 08:28:44

Of course ask. As a one off there probably won't be a problem. The worst that can happen is that you're told no...

Cakescakescakes Tue 05-Dec-17 08:31:44

The nativity won’t start on time. Be first in the queue to drop off DS then sprint round to the school. You’ll be there by 9.05 and the other person can have kept a seat for you. Will be fine.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 05-Dec-17 09:20:37

We used to accept children from 6:30 if it was needed; although officially opened at 7:15. It's worth an ask! It'll depend if they've got enough people there early to meet requirements etc.

If that isn't possible; someone from the nursery might be willing to babysit for 10 minutes if you pay them.

OhforfucksakeFay Tue 05-Dec-17 09:34:21

Another mum who drops off at 9 at the nursery?

LuckyAmy1986 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:49:24

I am not friendly with any of the other mums so can’t ask them. I might get the balls to ask tomorrow if not then I’ll go in and DH can come in late. If I save him a seat I can imagine people getting arsey though!

Glumglowworm Tue 05-Dec-17 11:30:33

If they don’t open til 9 then they probably can’t help. From posts here it could still be worth asking but be clear you’re hoping not expecting, and you’re prepared to pay.

One of you drop DS off, be there waiting early so you’re first in. Then get to the performance as quickly as possible.

The late parent may need to stand at the back of the nativity if they arrive after it’s started

Ellisandra Tue 05-Dec-17 15:18:17

Why does it take balls to ask a service provider if they're able to provide an additional service?

Just bloody ask them!

No balls required grin

chestylarue52 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:42:04

I think you can ask anyone anything if you preface it with, I'm going to ask you something, please say no if you want to, I'm absolutely expecting the answer might be no, is X ok. Then if they start their answer with 'well' or 'hmmm' immediately say oh it's ok don't worry I'll sort something else out thank you.

Cabininthewoods69 Tue 05-Dec-17 17:46:29

Get your dc to stall the start of the play.

CuppaSarah Tue 05-Dec-17 17:48:16

Honestly they might do it as a favour. I've worked in preschools we've done this, but it's strictly as a personal favour and the staff member designated as carer doesn't start work till the setting opens as they care for the extra child as if they're on their own time.

Other preschools wouldn't even consider it, so just ask.

RebootYourEngine Tue 05-Dec-17 17:50:06

I dont think what you are asking is cheeky because it is a one off. Explain the situation to the nursery. They may say that is fine. They may say that they cant do it. You wont know until you ask.

Eatalot Tue 05-Dec-17 17:55:37

Why dont one of you go to school and get seats. The other can drop son off in nursery whoever can run quicker to school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: