Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any good stories of expressing milk at work? My experiences have been hilarious so far

(33 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1473598635 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:28:56

I work in a very male environment, on an old site. I am the first to express milk on site. Men have tried to do their best and have bought me a new fridge, however, it's been a catalogue of errors so far.....

My pumping room is a conference room sometimes used by 10 men for meetings...
The new fridge is prominent in that room.
The corridor where the room is has been locked when I have wanted to go to get my milk.
I've been given a master key that didn't unlock the right door.
I've been unable to access the corridor to express.

So, there have been days when I've sat cross-legged on the floor of the stationery room, pumping, with a makeshift 'do not disturb' sign, then wrapped my milk bottle in paper and put it into the communal fridge, and then later, had to get security to get me access to the corridor to get my milk. I have been trying to see the humour.

Luckily, my milk production isn't stopping, and I am determined to break the barriers and have the right facility in place for future women. Any simpler stories for pumping?

TheMaddHugger Tue 05-Dec-17 04:01:43

"Any simpler stories for pumping?".
Not ones I would share with strangers on the internet. No.

I do wish you well on changing your work place practices for a better future. Very Inspiring. star

Impostress99 Tue 05-Dec-17 04:33:00

* *Any simpler stories for pumping?

Nope. Nothing for an Internet forum for anyone to read.

TheClaws Tue 05-Dec-17 05:11:19

Not really, user123500000.

Emlou07 Tue 05-Dec-17 05:34:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Emlou07 Tue 05-Dec-17 05:35:17

AlohaMama Tue 05-Dec-17 06:04:22

I spent at least four months of work (not all the time obviously) sitting in a filing cupboard to pump with a handwritten sign on the door. Also used a communal fridge. But my Medela pump had a little insulated pack with ice packs that fitted around the bottles so everything kept really cold. If you had that then at least that would take the fridge out of the equation.

Pengggwn Tue 05-Dec-17 06:47:12

I had to put a sign up to stop people walking in. Which they ignored. The best was when our new CEO from the multi-academy trust we now work for waltzed into the room and started looking at me like I needed to leave and she wasn't sure what I was doing.

"I'm using a breast pump" got rid of her fairly quickly!

GrandDesespoir Tue 05-Dec-17 07:03:37

Ummm, hilarious. hmm

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 05-Dec-17 07:23:34

I didn’t even try OP - it’s reallly sad BUT my supply changed (6 months ) and did a few evening feeds

Makes me sad as with hindsight I would have gone for longer

TrinitySquirrel Tue 05-Dec-17 07:27:08

00100001 Tue 05-Dec-17 07:54:11

hmm

paxillin Tue 05-Dec-17 09:00:06

We do have boob emojis on MN: biscuit biscuit

paxillin Tue 05-Dec-17 09:00:44

With tazzles, too: fbiscuit fbiscuit

YorkieDorkie Tue 05-Dec-17 09:04:07

fhmm

MimsyFluff Tue 05-Dec-17 09:05:52

tazzled boobs grin

TheMaddHugger Tue 05-Dec-17 09:35:31

🙈🙈😳

TheMaddHugger Tue 05-Dec-17 09:43:26

Hmm It's supposed to be an emoji, but I can't get it to post properly sorry

LadyMcFish Tue 05-Dec-17 09:45:02

I just used the conference room when it's available. My back will be facing the door. Setup my iphone and headphone. Then watch something while I 'pump away' ;)

I kept my milk in a small insulating bag with frozen ice pack (which kept frozen in communal fridge before). It kept the milk chilled till I got home. I did use the communal fridge with milk in a bag, no big deal.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Dec-17 09:54:11

Hi, we've had a few reports about this thread and can see that there's some troll hunting going on here. We just wanted to say that the OP's been on the site for a fair while and has given us no cause for concern in the past, so we're assuming this thread is genuine.

If you don't want to share your stories about breast feeding at work, that's fine. But we're a parenting website - it's not unreasonable for people to ask questions on this topic.

BewareOfTheToddler Tue 05-Dec-17 09:58:17

I managed to find the only meeting room in the building with no windows, booked it and locked the door (with a chair wedged under the handle). This was after a few unpleasant experiences in the disabled loo/shower area.

I used to take a little cool bag with a couple of ice packs in, and put the milk in the cool bag then just place it in a communal fridge. No issues with this, and nobody could see what was in it.

DontFundHate Tue 05-Dec-17 10:16:39

Wow no idea why there are so many nobs on this thread. Is there another room you could use to "book" for a certain time each day? Someone's office for example? Well done on expressing, especially in difficult circumstances

Thishatisnotmine Tue 05-Dec-17 10:22:23

I asked twice, in writing. Both times my direct "I want to carry on bfing, where can I do it" question was ignored. I just wore a big scarf by the end of a long day to hide my massive lumpy breasts. Going back to work soon after second baby and I live closer to work now so on long days I am just going to ask to go home and feed my baby. See if that is more conenient for them. Your employers sound like they are at least trying, OP!

paxillin Tue 05-Dec-17 11:14:41

I thought employers are legally obliged to supply breastfeeding rooms, does it apply to expressing?

Thishatisnotmine Tue 05-Dec-17 12:28:40

There is a legal requirement to provide breastfeeding and pregnant women somewhere to rest, including lie down if needed. Providing them with somewhere private to express and store milk is recommended best practice.

Which is why this time I will ask for an extra break, seeing as one of the websites I looked this up on belongs to my employer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now