Talk

Advanced search

Who is bu me or the warranty company

(18 Posts)
NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 19:36:25

So I bought a car back in April and got the extra gold warranty. Noticed water tank which cools the engine (expansion tank) was leaking badly a few months back to the stage I had to top up daily. Called warranty place and they said normally the tank wouldn't normally be covered BUT as it would cause more damage that they would have to cover if it was left unfixed then they would cover it. Booked car in a month back and the soonest appointment was today. So today rolls round and garage say it's not the tank but a hose leading to it that's leaking. (The de-gas hose)
Warranty company say they won't cover that. My argument is whether it was the tank or the hose the end result is the tank won't retain water and either way the damage done by the leak not being fixed would be the same regardless of which bit was leaking. So why is the tank covered because of the damage it may cause if not fixed but the hose leading to it, that would cause the exact same damage if not fixed isn't? Aibu?
Also does anyone know the legality on charging for an 0800 number. I thought they were free to ring? This place charges local rates from a landline and 30p per min from a mobile.

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 19:53:35

B

rjay123 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:57:39

An 0800 that charges? Never heard of one that does

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 20:08:46

Yep it mentions it when you first call. It also says 30p for a landline blah blah please call from a landline at local rate or discuss the charges once connected hmm

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 20:09:09

30p from a mobile even

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 20:35:25

No one?

CoffeeBreakIn5 Mon 04-Dec-17 20:40:03

No idea about the 0800 number charging. It's pretty standard for pipes, seals and gaskets not to be covered under warranty on used vehicles, how old is the car?

wasonthelist Mon 04-Dec-17 20:45:05

You might find this interesting
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/112848/ford-focus-ecoboost

Sugarcoma Mon 04-Dec-17 20:45:28

You need to start by reading the T&Cs of the warranty. If you don’t have them request them.

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 20:49:37

You need to start by reading the T&Cs of the warranty. If you don’t have them request them.

I KNOW it's not in the terms and conditions the point I'm making is the tank wasn't covered either but they said they'd do it as it would cause more damage if not mended. The exact same damage that would be caused by the pipe not being mended...

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 20:54:02

I can't find any evidence on recalls for that was but there was a may catch fire one. Should probably check the vin number.
The damaged pipe was also triggering the check engine sign.

HouseworkIsAPain Mon 04-Dec-17 20:57:56

I see what you’re saying - that if they were prepared to fix the tank to prevent further danange then fixing the hose is no different.

Can you give a bit more info on the number - 0800 and 0808 should be free to call from the uk but other 08 numbers are not. You’re not calling another number first to be connected to the 0800 number?

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 21:03:37

‭0800 077 8489‬
This is the number

DingleBerries Mon 04-Dec-17 21:06:33

I buy extra warranty as well.

In this instance the warranty people are correct.

They cover what they cover and the hose isn’t one of them.

HouseworkIsAPain Mon 04-Dec-17 21:12:23

That weird that is says you’d be charged for calling from a mobile. They’re probably trying to put people off using mobile because it costs 5x as much (they have to pay the mobile or landline company for the call). You can check call charges with your mobile provider - they will tell you if it’s free or not.

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 04-Dec-17 21:18:50

It charges from a landline too, though not as much. It just says standard rate

rjay123 Fri 08-Dec-17 07:20:56

It’s free - I’ve checked

rjay123 Fri 08-Dec-17 07:21:17

Appreciate it says “30p a min” when you call up. But it’s a lie

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: