Talk

Advanced search

School Posting Attainment Display on Social Media

(28 Posts)
headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:17:31

Would you be comfortable with this? A display showing how many sounds each child in a class can recognise? I'd feel really crap if my child was obviously down the lower end of the display even if there was a good reason such as a learning difficulty. Or am I being precious?

SonicBoomBoom Mon 04-Dec-17 19:21:34

Does it name each child?

If yes, YANBU at all! That's shocking, and I'd say a breach of privacy too. Would not be happy having that on social media at ALL.

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:22:17

Yes. Every child is on the chart

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:22:48

Is it a breach of privacy? What does the law say?

TDHManchester Mon 04-Dec-17 19:23:47

YANBU totally wrong if children's names are there/

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:24:38

What does the law say?

Bea Mon 04-Dec-17 19:24:40

As an ex teacher... That's really out of order!... The school should have be prepared for an onslaught of complaints!!... As a parent.. I'd be furious!! angry

pudcat Mon 04-Dec-17 19:25:54

This is a big no. They are totally breaching child confidentiality. No other parent should know how a child is getting on. If it were my child at the bottom I would go ballistic. They need to be stopped. Do the governors know? If not - inform them and also inform Ofsted.

moutonfou Mon 04-Dec-17 19:25:56

Social media definitely not but why is that even up in the classroom in the first place??

SilverdaleGlen Mon 04-Dec-17 19:27:09

That's bloody awful, don't even know where in the class my child ranks and that's how it should be!!

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:30:11

Can someone link me to or cut and paste the law about it?

Caulk Mon 04-Dec-17 19:31:33

Surely this is something you just talk to the school about and say you don’t like it being on there?

Bunbunbunny Mon 04-Dec-17 19:32:18

Data protection act 1997 that’s al you need to quote

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:33:44

But what part would cover that display?

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:36:07

Don't many schools publish GCSE results with names in local newspapers so this might be legal?

Fintons Mon 04-Dec-17 19:40:39

In those cases it's the newspaper publishing not the school and presumably with parent's permission.

Definitely very wrong in this scenario.

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:44:00

I don't think they do need parents permission and the school have disclosed the full results to the papers knowing they'll be published.

headinhands Mon 04-Dec-17 19:45:10

I'm not talking about when they have photos of students getting their results. But when they publish all the results of all the children

trinity0097 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:45:36

Just a photo of that display, or that display in the background with something else as the main focus?

Xtrabroken Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:09

Bang out of order and as a Mum with one child with disabilities who spent primary thinking they were thick and stupid because they found stuff harder I would be furious.

Newspapers covered my gcse results but it was a general 11 gcses and not grades or such.

DailyMailReadersAreThick Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:20

I don't think this would be covered by the data protection act. Please don't quote that (or any other law) until you're absolute sure it's relevant.

In fact I would forget the legality and focus on the fact that this is just bad practice.

TabbyMumz Mon 04-Dec-17 19:50:13

To me, that's just as bad as posting a weekly picture of the "golden children". Makes you wonder what the children not in the picture are? A lot of schools seem to do this now. In my view every child is golden. Saying "these are the children who have received a golden award this week" is fine. Calling a small group "golden children" is not. Just the same as showing the children's names at the top of the list who recognise more sounds and the others at the bottom who can't.

MaisyPops Mon 04-Dec-17 19:51:15

Have they taken a photo specifically of the display and uploaded it? Or is it in the background of the image where something else is the focus? That would change my reaction and steps moving forward.
Either way I'd say it's out of order and it's worth giving them a call but be polite and sensible (because on MN you'll get loads of replies telling you to kick off, demand a meeting with the head, go to ofsted, go to the local press, complain to your MP etc hmm)

As ever on school threads, a reasonable, polite parent sensibly raising concerns is usually welcomed by schools. Whereas raging parents kicking off, demanding meetings, ignoring reasonable orders of communication, mentioning ofsted because they are 'so fuming!!!' tend to end up with reputations of being 'that parent'

To resolve this appropriately, take the info you have and raise your concerns sensibly with the most appropriate first port of call (this will depend on what the image is of mainly and who it seems uploaded it).

PaleAzureofSummer Mon 04-Dec-17 19:58:51

I wouldn't like this

donquixotedelamancha Mon 04-Dec-17 20:05:33

"I don't think they do need parents permission and the school have disclosed the full results to the papers knowing they'll be published."

I've never seen that. It's incredibly poor practice for a school to publish children's results without consent (without anonymising them). Posting class data on Social Media would be a career threatening offence in any school I've ever worked in.

As PPs say- do challenge it politely, but firmly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now