Talk

Advanced search

To suspect there are more sellers than buyers on Etsy?

(81 Posts)
Wisterical Mon 04-Dec-17 18:38:39

Nobody I know has ever bought anything off Etsy. Do people just look at it to nick ideas and get an idea of how to price their own crafts? I'm asking because people keep telling me to list my own stuff there as it's selling well locally, but I'm not convinced it's worth the time, so wondering what other people's thoughts/experience is?

Glumglowworm Mon 04-Dec-17 18:41:22

I’ve bought a couple of things on there

I suspect it’s hard to get established unless you already have a customer base though

Mooey89 Mon 04-Dec-17 18:42:36

My engagement ring is from Etsy!
I’ve bought quite a few bits through there and have more earmarked to order - great for wedding things!!

Twillow Mon 04-Dec-17 18:43:11

Just bought two things off there and sold for a while, needs a lot of effort to put a professional shopfront together which is what will attract customers. There is some very amateur 'crafts' but also a lot of fantastic unique and beautiful work by individuals who are deserving of support.

TammySwansonTwo Mon 04-Dec-17 18:44:49

Depends what you're selling. If it's massively unique and you have the ability to take lovely photos then go for it. If it's a crowded area and there are already tons of other people selling the same sort of thing, don't bother - prices for handmade have been so pushed down by hobbyists it's almost not worth bothering. I sell on etsy but has been neglected while I've been on mat leave - I had relatively steady sales but I mainly sell downloads so very little work (if any) once the listings are active. My actual handmade work sells there occasionally but not often.

BadPolicy Mon 04-Dec-17 18:45:35

I've bought quite a few bits from etsy, but over probably 3 or 4 years. I don't imagine any of the sellers are rushed off their feet from business on there alone.

NovemberWitch Mon 04-Dec-17 18:47:06

I prefer Folksy for buying, they have stricter rules on what sort of items count as handcrafted. Less tat, smaller customer base.
Etsy has more fun, cheap stuff, upcycked jewellery and the like.

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Mon 04-Dec-17 18:47:38

I buy from Etsy! SIL does okay on there I think. Her stuff is gorgeous and unique and tbh I think she’d sell more at craft markets or as a concession stand in a shop but she’s not keen on actually having to deal with people face to face I don’t think.

RestingGrinchFace Mon 04-Dec-17 18:49:10

I've both bought and sold on etsy.

Ellybellyboo Mon 04-Dec-17 18:49:12

I’ve bought some stuff from Etsy

I’ve sold stuff too - I love quilting and ended up with more quilts than I knew what to do with so sold them all on there

I see lots of stuff on there I love, but they’re usually American sellers who won’t ship to the UK

Theducksarenotmyfriends Mon 04-Dec-17 19:00:47

I've bought stuff off there. I used to have an etsy shop but you need loads of listings and to keep updating it all the time and marketing etc. I just didn't have time for it and let it languish for a while before eventually closing. When I did bother doing any marketing (eg putting a pic on instagram or pinterest) I'd always make a sale.

You've really got to know your target market though and know how to market your wares to them. I just like making stuff, I couldn't be bothered with marketing it!

What kind of stuff do you make?

Wisterical Mon 04-Dec-17 19:01:30

Thanks, that's all really useful info. fuckspiders not having face to face is Etsy's appeal to me too, I find stalls excruciating - I get embarrassed when people like and buy, ridiculously hurt when they don't and exhausted by six hours constant chat!

Bearberry Mon 04-Dec-17 19:04:26

I've brought stuff on Etsy and regularly use their app. I also buy from not on the high street. I don't like buying from stalls though, I find it an uncomfortably close proximity and feel awkward to look at something and then not buy it (which wouldn't normally occur because it costs too much!).

Wisterical Mon 04-Dec-17 19:19:26

the ducks, bit wary of saying because I don't want to be accused of trying to promote my own stuff on mumsnet!

TacoFlavouredKisses Mon 04-Dec-17 19:24:45

I just bought a Christmas present off Etsy yesterday and have a few bits in my basket to order for myself after Christmas.

Spiders I want to see/know what your SIL sells! I'm a bit of a magpie sad

Wisterical Mon 04-Dec-17 19:30:40

ellybellyboo did you sell your quilts for a price you felt reflected the time and skill you put into making them?

CaptainHammer Mon 04-Dec-17 19:32:31

I buy loads of stuff from Etsy!

JennyBlueWren Mon 04-Dec-17 19:32:40

Used it a lot in the past for Christmas (and other) presents although not this year as budget is v. tight and I tend to get carried away.

FantasticButtocks Mon 04-Dec-17 19:34:34

If you have a browse on there and see anything you like...if you go to that person's shop it will tell you how many sales they've had. So I think people do buy on there.
I have just (last week) opened my shop on there (selling seascape paintings) and am quite excited grinNo one's bought anything yet but some people have 'favourited' the shop and a painting, which made me happy smile It was hard work though, photographing and listing the stuff, but hopefully worth it.

Lockheart Mon 04-Dec-17 19:40:33

I used to sell a lot on Etsy. It depends on your product - there are few who have a truly unique niche, and if you’re another one of thousands selling crochet baby headbands then you’ll struggle a bit more and would probably do better at in-person markets where there is less competition.

Etsy is hard work, it’s not a case of just putting your items on and waiting for buyers, you need to spend time figuring out your tags and keywords, your analytics, getting good photos etc. But if you put the work in it is worth it smile

AmeliaFlashtart Mon 04-Dec-17 19:44:04

I buy loads from etsy, cushions, lampshades, jewelry, cards, textile art, watercolours, vintage prints, toiletries and gifts! It really is excellent for buying lovely gifts on a budget.

FairfaxAikman Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:03

I buy quite a lot from Etsy. It's good for unique gifts.

I also got a lot of stuff for our wedding from it - was either cheaper (veil £60 plus £20 custom fee v £200 in a bridal store here) or stuff I couldn't get in the UK.

Wisterical Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:33

buttocks that's genius, thanks! Just had a look and yes you can see how many sales people have had. Actual sales happen - feeling quite encouraged now smile

KathArtic Mon 04-Dec-17 19:49:16

I've bought a few bits from Etsy - I try to buy from the British sellers mainly.

I buy crafty bits, and some of the sellers have YouTube channels, vlogs, Instagram etc. One or two re trying to make it a full time business.

MyWhatICallNameChange Mon 04-Dec-17 20:14:44

I bought something off there for the first time yesterday. It's coming from Australia so not sure it'll be here for Christmas but it was something that no British sellers made, so I'll have to wait.

I'm not at all crafty so won't be copying any ideas (unless I want to end up on one of those fail memes!grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now