Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to cook a steak?

(26 Posts)
MrsJasonIsbell Mon 04-Dec-17 18:29:41

I have 2 t bone steaks - please can you wise wimmen tell me how to cook them.
I never cook red meat!

gobster Mon 04-Dec-17 18:58:44

Heat flying pan on medium heat, leave to get nice and hot, season the steaks and rub a little olive on them, bung in pan cook flip half way through cook till desired pinkness

Although saying that i always use butter to cook mine, but thought best to give the more sophisticated answer grin

arethereanyleftatall Mon 04-Dec-17 19:03:04

Oil & season.

Hot griddle pan, 1 minute on each side, turn 3 times, so 4 mins total.

rubberducker Mon 04-Dec-17 19:07:53

Make sure steaks are room temp before cooking and pan is v hot before adding the steak. How long to cook each side will depend on how thick the steak is and how rare you like it so can’t really advise on that!

SleepingBooty Mon 04-Dec-17 19:10:18

Season with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
Fry in hot butter for a couple of minutes each side.

gwenneh Mon 04-Dec-17 19:13:13

Oven finish.

Start preheating the oven to about 200. Bring the steaks up to room temp, season. Get an oven safe pan on the hob & let it heat up (medium high, it needs to be v. hot.) Add some high-heat oil to the pan, not butter or olive oil as they'll burn, and coat the pan well. Drop the steaks in, do 2 minutes a side or so until the nice crust forms. Once both sides are seared whack the whole pan in the oven, anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending on how done you like them (yours are bone-in so it might be a bit on the longer side.)

Take them out, rest them under some foil for 5-10 minutes, then eat.

MrsJasonIsbell Mon 04-Dec-17 19:36:28

Thanks everybody! I'll let you know how it all goes...!

AfterSchoolWorry Mon 04-Dec-17 19:39:32

Put them in the air fryersanta

TabbyMumz Mon 04-Dec-17 19:43:16

I give mine a good battering with a steak tenderiser first, then cook on high light. To sear outside, then turn heat down till it's done how you like it.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:14

Google the gordon Ramsey way to cook a steak. I swear by it

outsidelookingin Mon 04-Dec-17 19:48:44

Make sure pan is v hot before adding the steak.

This is the key IME.

Boudiccaiceni Mon 04-Dec-17 19:50:38

Oven finish.

SwanneeKazoo Mon 04-Dec-17 19:52:24

Deffo oven finish.

anotherprosecco Mon 04-Dec-17 19:53:05

Medium rare steaks, sear for 3 minutes on one side in a hot griddle pan, then turn and cook on the other side until you can see little specks of blood appear on the top surface. Works every time for us, although I do DH's a bit longer as he likes his medium. Usually rub steak with oil and black pepper first.

Ohb0llocks Mon 04-Dec-17 19:53:06

Depends how thick.

For a 3cm thick steak I’d cook for about 2 mins each side in v hot pan

Allabitmuchisntit Mon 04-Dec-17 19:57:06

Screaming hot pan is key. That's how you get the tasty "crust" on the outside. Add butter halfway through cooking and spoon it all over them.
Then rest them under foil for double the time you cooked them.

mygorgeousmilo Mon 04-Dec-17 20:27:31

Screaming hot pan. Season with tonnes of salt and pepper, do each side for about 90 seconds, turn back to first side, chuck in a couple of bashed whole garlic cloves and some thin asparagus and additional butter. Make sure all is well covered in tasty buttery oily seasonings, turn off heat and put lid on for a few minutes. My steak is always perfectly medium if done in this way. Crusty and tasty outside, tender and pink inside..... just like me grin

Grimbles Mon 04-Dec-17 20:31:26

I never manage to get my pan hot enough without creating a shitload of smoke sad

ShirleyPhallus Mon 04-Dec-17 20:35:08

Does anyone remember that thread where the poster said she pre-cooked steaks, left them in a hot trolley thing then cooked them again just before serving?

Bleuughghhhhhh

mygorgeousmilo Mon 04-Dec-17 20:37:53

grimbles yeah in our house we literally cook steaks with x2 extractor fans on, and take off top later of clothing. It does create a lot of smoke!

mygorgeousmilo Mon 04-Dec-17 20:38:03

Layer*

twotired Mon 04-Dec-17 20:40:23

The 'secret' is all in the resting apparently. Minimum 5 minutes under tented foil.

LoveYouTimMinchin Mon 04-Dec-17 20:41:23

Why can't you ask in the food/recipes topic?

HoneyDragon Mon 04-Dec-17 20:42:30

In a panini press. Won’t do them any other way now.

MrsJasonIsbell Mon 04-Dec-17 22:01:29

Well, I think it was a success. Kids liked it...
I did really hot pan, 3 mins each side them oven for 10 mins while the oven chips finished.
Prob a bit over for my liking - I would say it was medium but extremely succulent.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now