Advanced search

Fairest way to appoint new cleaner

(24 Posts)
SaturdaySauv Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:46

We've moved to a new area and are looking for a cleaner. I've posted on a local FB page asking for recommendations and two women have been suggested. Both are available and references check out.

Is it reasonable to ask them both to do a trial? - paid at their usual hourly rate of course. It somehow feels a bit cringy but I'm not sure how else to choose between them.

WildBluebelles Mon 04-Dec-17 15:48:31

If you can be bothered. I couldn't be arsed with that. I am guessing that unless one is shit the house will look more or less the same. I would just pick one and tell the other one sorry you have now found someone.

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 16:41:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nikephorus Mon 04-Dec-17 16:48:21

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo?
Rock, scissors, paper?
Ask them how often they hoover under the sofa / move the fridge?
Leave them alone separately in the kitchen with an open packet of biscuits and see how many they eat?
Ask if they use Mumsnet & pick the one that doesn't (so that when you post in due course about how crap she is she won't know!!)?

WrittenandGrown Mon 04-Dec-17 17:00:20

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 04-Dec-17 17:05:42

Ask them to come for a one off clean, don’t say you’re looking for someone regular at first. Them pick the one you like more.
Or email asking anout availability - the choice might be made for you, maybe one of them cannot do the day/ time you want.

BackforGood Mon 04-Dec-17 17:07:39

Seems a bit OTT.
Just pick one (draw straws if you need to) and keep the other's number as a back up in case.
If you've gone as far as getting references though - let them know there was absolutely nothing wrong with the references, only you for some reason asked for references even though you've got someone else.

antimatter Mon 04-Dec-17 17:09:32

at least meet each of them before deciding

ferrier Mon 04-Dec-17 17:10:03

Gosh - definitely invite them for a paid one-off. All cleaners are different and even if they clean the same you might just feel you get on better with one than the other

Tinselistacky Mon 04-Dec-17 17:20:32

Imagine an odd request and put it to each of them.
For example I am a cleaner and among other things I have been asked to assist in emptying a dogs anal glands!!
All in a day's work for the committed employee!! grin

Schoolchauffeur Mon 04-Dec-17 17:23:25

I asked 3 companies/cleaning agencies to quote for weekly clean. Told them what I wanted doing and knew roughly how long it ought to take. One of them failed to turn up, one estimated it would take half the time I thought, the other roughly the time I thought. The first one wanted half as much again as the second one in payment! So I chose no 2 and she's still cleaning for me 9 years later!

Seniorcitizen1 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:28:44

Pick the one who has lowest hourly rate - if the same ask them to bid against each other to give you the lowest fee ( I can still remember my economic lectures on Milton Frieefman economics from 1970s)

MrsFoxPlus4 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:40:17

Nikephorus question about the biscuits must be the decider grin

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 17:55:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaturdaySauv Mon 04-Dec-17 18:02:36

Thanks everyone.

We had our previous cleaner in our old area for 6 years- she was brilliant, so it's not something I've had to think about for a while.

If it works out I'm hoping to give this person a key to the house so I feel it's reasonable to be a bit careful.

I'll make it clear that references were fine whatever we decide on.

Might be a scrap over a packet of hobnobs Nikephorus if there's nothing to choose between them.

butterfly56 Mon 04-Dec-17 18:07:28

There's something about a Cleaning thread...I just can't resist reading lol

Nikephorus that is bloody hilarious...I can see you are a avid cleaning thread watcher! grin

DesperateHouseknife Mon 04-Dec-17 18:22:01

We organised a clean-off with 6 candidates. Each cleaner got a 30 minutes and a selection cleaning tools and consumables. They could choose any room of the house to demonstrate their skills. We marked them on speed, quality, courtesy and personal hygiene. We gathered them together and announced the results in reverse order. The 2nd place cleaner fills in during the winners holiday. Everyone’s a winner.

PringlesSmoothie Mon 04-Dec-17 18:25:39

That should be a game show

Seniorcitizen1 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:30:52

Pengg - it was a joke, hence reference to milton friendman!!

BackforGood Mon 04-Dec-17 22:05:32

Am I right in assuming that is a joke that I don't really get DesparateHouseknife ?

Good cleaners don't need to jump through hoops, it's more a case of 'if they can fit you in' rather than needing to play silly games to get a job.

Nikephorus Tue 05-Dec-17 08:55:28

In that case, stick them both in the room with the Hobnobs & rather than picking the one who nicks the fewest, go for the one that hoovers up the crumbs automatically and polishes the biscuit tin! grin

InspMorse Tue 05-Dec-17 09:02:28

You are kidding OP! Unless they are really short of work they won't care either way.
Get them both round to look at the house & quote for the job & pick one.

InspMorse Tue 05-Dec-17 09:04:22

Also, don't forget employment is a two way thing. One of them might make your mind up for you & decide your house/expectations aren't for them.

ittakes2 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:55:46

I’ve hired lots of cleaners - definately do a one off clean to see if you gel. One cleaner at the end of her first clean asked if she could borrow husband’s day old new cd to make a copy it (she didn’t get asked back), another open a packed of donuts uninvited and ate half - leaving me short for children’s after school party...and didn’t get asked back...another just didn’t clean and was very surprised when I didn’t ask her back...another on her first day (when my sister came over and we were having a chat), got herself a coffee and a chair - and then came and sat with us and decided to join in on our conversation. Definately do a one off clean and take it from there. Just be upfront and say you want to see if it suits both you and them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now