Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not trust my DH DIY expertise?

(19 Posts)
Happinezz Mon 04-Dec-17 15:32:20

DH is insiting that he can save us a fortune!

So, someone blush dropped our Ipad.
It now has a broken screen blush .
DH believes he can fix it with a £7 set off ebay, rather than spending £100 in store. hmm

...he has had no previous technical/mecanical/electricianal/magical experiances... and I have a horrid feeling that this might not go as planned. He's convinced that Youtube and this ebay kit are all he needs.

So, what I'm asking is; AIBU to be untrusting of his ability to fix it? Has anyone else had any experiance of fixing these things?

MickeyLuv Mon 04-Dec-17 15:55:22

My OH managed to fix my smashed phone screen the same way - a kit of eBay, lots of tiny screw drivers and a YouTube video!

He did quite a good job, not perfect but it worked and cost me a tenner, rather than the mega bucks that the repair places wanted.

My DP has no technical experience but it quite good with mechanics (engines and stuff) so I let him have ago, he said it was quite easy really.

butterfly56 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:06:37

Yep youTube is brilliant for tutorials on this sort of thing!!

I watched loads before I upgraded my macbook pro(2009) with a new SSD Drive and new battery a few months ago. And I'm a 61year old granny with no tech experience! Even my son was impressed!!lol
Oh and it runs like a new machine now! grin

HumpHumpWhale Mon 04-Dec-17 16:09:58

If he's willing to watch 3 different videos first, I think it'll be fine. I'm pretty sure you can learn almost anything on YouTube in 3 videos. Maybe not flying a plane but this, yes. It might not be perfect but it should be fine.

44PumpLane Mon 04-Dec-17 16:13:49

My DH replaced a smashed laptop screen in the same way and it works brilliantly- by my DH is very handy.

YouTube videos are great for this sort of thing though.

Happinezz Mon 04-Dec-17 16:15:04

@Mickey, @Butterfly and @Hump thank you! ... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and will provide an update in due course!
(Also, apologies for my spelling! - experience, not experiance!)

Happinezz Mon 04-Dec-17 16:24:21

Oo and @44Pump - thanks!

RavingRoo Mon 04-Dec-17 16:25:32

I fixed my iphone in a similar way, and my GHDs!

silkpyjamasallday Mon 04-Dec-17 16:26:21

My father managed to do exactly this, he is very handy with most DIY things but not very tech minded. He managed no problem. Let your DP have a go and worst case scenario you have to take it to the shop and you've only wasted £7, best case scenario you save yourself £100.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Dec-17 16:28:38

I fixed my Samsung with £6 of parts. Had to take screen off. Replace And new antanae. YouTube is great.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Dec-17 16:30:51

And I have no diy skills.

I'll attempt anything if there's a YouTube video. Did my own conveyancing of last house sale thanks to YouTube

Tiddlywinks63 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:32:05

At least pp have partners who seek advice first. Mine's of the 'I know it all' variety 😖🙄😱😡

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Mon 04-Dec-17 16:32:17

I say give him a chance. YouTube tutorials are great.

I used one to successfully remove, recharge and reinstall my car battery! (My dickhead ex-boyf left the indoor light overnight... and no, he did't even offer to help, he was down the pub).

Happinezz Mon 04-Dec-17 16:38:23

Wow, I'm impressed!
@GreenFingers - haha, glad to hear he's an ex!
@Tiddly - tbh, I'm a tad worried that mine is too ... hmm
@Viva - where did you even start with that?!

incogKNEEto Mon 04-Dec-17 16:39:47

Only thing to bear in mind is if he does mess it up the Apple Store won't fix it if he's opened it l don't think...

My dh has replaced lots of phone screens/batteries etc using YouTube videos but he doesn't touch Apple stuff! There is a local chap who does fix secondhand apple stuff though so it must be possible!

chocogirl25 Mon 04-Dec-17 16:41:15

Alternate opinion, yes Youtube could show your DH how to fix it however, if the iPad is within it's warranty and a non-Apple approved technician opens it and is then unable to fix it, it can't be repaired in store anymore.

Just a heads up

Happinezz Mon 04-Dec-17 16:55:27

@Incog and @Choco - thanks for the warning. It's not under warranty (unfortunately) as we bought it second hand.

simonisnotme Mon 04-Dec-17 17:32:42

I changed the bulb in my headlight thanks to a screwdriver and youtube grin
if he feels capable its worth a bash

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Dec-17 17:36:47

Conveyencing is fairly easy, form off the Internet, fill it in following the land registry YouTube step by step video. Get a sworn ID check from a solicitor and send the form back to the land registry. Must admit it was with someone I trusted as otherwise I wouldn’t have been too sure how to pay the money over on exactly the right day that the name changed on the deeds as I didn’t know what day the house deeds changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now