Talk

Advanced search

To take my child out of school to see Santa...?

(147 Posts)
Mooey89 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:25:36

He’s 4, one of the youngest in the class. This year he’s at his dads for the first time for Christmas, so trying to over compensate a bit probably!

There’s a big special Santa event arranged by the local radio station, it’s supposed to be incredible, travels around the country so not available next year.

I booked our tickets back in august(!) and the only available non day time slot left was 3:30... they’ve just emailed saying we need to be there an hour early so need to pick DS up from school at 2:30!
He’s in year R... it’s the 18th Dec. I figure he won’t miss much...

AIBU?!

chiaseeddisapointmentagain Mon 04-Dec-17 15:26:45

Of course YABU for Christ sake

chickenowner Mon 04-Dec-17 15:27:24

YABU

and ridiculous.

Braceface Mon 04-Dec-17 15:27:37

I would. He's only 4.

MotherCupboard Mon 04-Dec-17 15:27:59

Yeah id do it. It's an hour early and it's a 4 year old. Its not like he's taking his gcses.

Braceface Mon 04-Dec-17 15:28:10

He's hardly going to miss anything important that near the end of term.

Smarshian Mon 04-Dec-17 15:28:38

YABVU. There are hundreds of santa events all over which are cheap and easy to attend outside of school hours. Garden centres usually have good Ines which will be just as magical for your 4 yo.

Trinity66 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:28:44

No of course you're not, he's 4, what's he going to miss in school especially that close to Christmas!

FuzzyCustard Mon 04-Dec-17 15:28:51

He may not miss much (or he might miss something really fun/wonderful/educational) but you know you're being a bit U really don't you? Suppose everyone did the same on different days and times - school would be chaos. Poor teachers, trying to deal with that.
And it is for Santa? Don't get that, I'm afraid.

Flywheel Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:44

YANBU. At all.

Cheby Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:46

YANBU. He’s not compulsory school age, and if you pick him up after afternoon registration it won’t even be recorded as an absence. Enjoy!

Iwantamarshmallow Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:55

its not the Narnia thing is it ?

Velvetbee Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:10

He doesn't legally have to be in school until the term following his fifth birthday. Take him. They won't like it but there's naff all they can do.

ReasonableLlama Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:46

On the face of it it sounds ridiculous, but in reality what is he going to achieve by staying in school for an hour.

I'd take him out, it's not as ho

hamptonhangingpork Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:56

Yanbu

He's 4 and it's not as if Santa comes every month.

Although, brace yourself. I imagine you are going to be pelted with loads of yabu posts because like, reception year is sooo important to get 100% attendance otherwise attainment blah blah.

zeezeek Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:10

As he's only 4 he's below the statutory age for required attendance - so there won't be a problem with the school.

Obviously in reception they are trying to set a good example of attendance - but I'm guessing it's a one off and you won't turn into one of "those parents" so go ahead and do it.

ReasonableLlama Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:16

Posted too soon

I was saying it's not as though he is 14 and sitting exams!

elliejjtiny Mon 04-Dec-17 15:32:53

Yabu. It's people who do things like this who cause schools to crack down on attendance, meaning I get grief for keeping my child off school when he has to have operations and other necessary medical appointments.

SendintheArdwolves Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:38

It sounds like you're asking for permission from us to do something that you want to do.

My guess is that, even if 99% of people on MN say not to, you will focus on the 1% who say it's fine.

Does it matter, does it not matter? Missing school, seeing Santa - who can say what the outcome will be? Probably not much in it either way.

So go ahead and do it if you want to. But make that decision for yourself, not because a bunch of random strangers told you it was fine. You're a lone parent, and you are going to face a lot tougher calls than this, OP.

(Although PS: they say you have to be there an hour early - an hour of waiting with a whole load of over-excited four year olds?? Rather you than me grin)

VeryPunny Mon 04-Dec-17 15:35:34

It doesn't matter if he's statutory age or not, once he's started school, he must attend as any other child. You're being completely unreasonable and that attitude to education is really crappy.

Lovestonap Mon 04-Dec-17 15:36:52

I'd do it, just like I took my 4 year old for a week's holiday.
I wouldn't tell the school why though, because it might make the teachers feel undervalued and annoyed.

CheeriosEverywhere Mon 04-Dec-17 15:39:08

I'd say he had an appointment. It won't show up as an absence anyway and he's four, so what could it possibly matter?

intheairthatnightfernando Mon 04-Dec-17 15:40:00

Wow, lots of people being horrible to someone who is trying to make the most of the Christmas build-up because she’s not going to be with her child at Christmas!

I think YANBU at all and I am a primary teacher. I’d far rather a child missed the end of a day in the last week to do something special with his mother than the alternative. He won’t miss anything educational. It is very hard to contemplate your Christmas without a 4 year old. I hope you go and have an absolutely lovely time.

BrokenBattleDroid Mon 04-Dec-17 15:40:18

Clearly very divided opinions - just do what you think would be best for him. Your motives of wanting him to so something Christmassy with you are understandable but it's also clearly not necessary.

No right answer. Entirely your call smile

AppleTrayBake Mon 04-Dec-17 15:40:45

I teach Reception and have my eldest DC in YR and I say go grin

Especially if you are just picking up early, it'll be fine and won't even be counted as an absence if it's after the afternoon register wink Sounds like a lovely treat with his Mum.

Just check it doesn't clash with any Xmas events at school (party, pantomime etc..)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now