Talk

Advanced search

Homeless

(84 Posts)
Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:10:17

Hi, so I was kicked out my in laws with my partner and 6 month old today. Went to the local homelessness place, and they discussed everything tried to put me off saying they could offer me a house on the other side of the country. I went ahead, and they asked of there was anywhere I could stay until Wednesday.. so I said I could stay with my brother (on his sofa) he has a wife and 2 kids in a 2 bedroom. They said this was fine.
What's going to happen when I go in on Wednesday does anyone know? What shall i do/say to make them take me seriously??
Thank you

LaurieFairyCake Mon 04-Dec-17 15:13:51

Do you mean you went to the local council ?

Are either of you working? If not is it ok for you to be given somewhere a distance away?

Smeaton Mon 04-Dec-17 15:14:08

I'm not sure what you mean?

It doesn't matter how serious they take you, if hey have nowhere for you, they have nowhere for you. It's harsh and its shit but they can't magic houses out of thin air.

Where in the country are you? Do you work?

Xtrabroken Mon 04-Dec-17 15:14:42

They have a duty to house you and if you have a baby you have priority. Did you turn down the emergency accommodation miles away?

Just be aware our council was an absolute arse and said we weren't homeless anymore when we went to stay at a relatives house and we had to start the whole process again!

Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:17:38

Hi, yes we work. I'm on mat leave at the moment though.
We're in manchester, and that's my worry now that they'll say we aren't homeless as we've gone away to stay at my brothers. They only mentioned emergency accommodation, after they'd ask if we could stay somewhere till Wednesday.

manicinsomniac Mon 04-Dec-17 15:18:25

I wish I had some advice sad Sounds truly horrible.

Would your PiLs agree to let your baby stay at least? Whatever argument you've had is hardly your child's fault!

So you work? If not, is it worth considering the far away house? Might be nice to get some distance between you and PiL?!

Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:19:30

Baby is only 6 months and is breastfed, and wakes up in the night still (part of the argument)

CheeriosEverywhere Mon 04-Dec-17 15:21:22

Haven't they already told you what they have to offer you? Why would it be any different by wednesday?

Birdsgottafly Mon 04-Dec-17 15:22:09

Did they offer you Hostel accommodation?

You could take a letter from your Brother stating that whilst he was happy to house you temporarily, you now have to find somewhere else.

It depends on where you are, accommodation can be a B&B.

Xtrabroken Mon 04-Dec-17 15:24:07

Obloody do you normally live in Manchester or is that where your brother is?

MorrisZapp Mon 04-Dec-17 15:24:17

Would eg a Premier inn in the outskirts of Manchester not be as cheap as a hostel for a short term while you get sorted?

Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:24:23

Yes, They said it would be a b&b or a hotel. And I have no idea why Wednesday will be different, she just said come back then. Sitting on the car until brother gets home at 9 now!

Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:24:46

No, I lived in Manchester my whole life

Notcontent Mon 04-Dec-17 15:27:00

Do you have any savings to find a flat to rent and stay in a cheap hotel until you find something?

MorrisZapp Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:28

Have you separated from your DP?

Killerfiller Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Xtrabroken Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:21

We have loads of houses near us but the council has so few staff that the turn around takes forever and they sit empty for ages. It's so frustrating. That said I very much doubt if you are up North they will send you the other end of the country. My friend lives not far from Manchester and is in an area of low population where being offered a house is fairly easy compared to other places so I think they are trying it on.

Obloody Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:47

I've been looking for somewhere for the past 6 months, but we couldn't afford the rent yet. DP is self employed and not getting much custom at the minute and I'm on maternity leave. We have a little bit of savings- would staying at a hotel rather than my brothers affect anything?

rainbowstardrops Mon 04-Dec-17 15:32:47

I have no idea what’s caused the falling out but bloody hell, that’s a bit harsh to throw a family out with a young baby!

Ceto Mon 04-Dec-17 15:35:00

I would suggest you contact Shelter as soon as possible for full advice as to your rights and help in securing them.

Xtrabroken Mon 04-Dec-17 15:35:19

The Booth will help if you are at risk of homelessness and have some clout locally so might be better listened to.

hsm.manchester.gov.uk/kb5/manchester/directory/service.page?id=9XPVoocyspA&directorychannel=3-6-2

Ceto Mon 04-Dec-17 15:36:55

Killerfiller, given that OP can't magic the baby out of existence, do you have any constructive advice to give, or do you plan to restrict yourself to being rude and unsupportive?

Cloudyapples Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:24

Please call shelter - thy can give you free advice

OnionKnight Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:35

*Sorry why on earth did you think it was a good idea
To have a baby when you don't even have your own place.

🙄 I do wonder*

I do wonder too, at how much of a twat you are.

Ceto Mon 04-Dec-17 15:38:35

It doesn't matter how serious they take you, if hey have nowhere for you, they have nowhere for you. It's harsh and its shit but they can't magic houses out of thin air.

So you think it's OK for them to ignore their housing duty? You know, the one they receive rather a lot of council tax and government money to fulfil?

And they won't have literally nowhere - they could access private bed and breakfast accommodation, for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now