Talk

Advanced search

Not to refund this eBay item?

(62 Posts)
CesareBorgiasSkeletonOnesie Mon 04-Dec-17 14:36:40

Sold a lovely velvet tunic on eBay recently as needed to raise Christmas funds, and have just had a message from the lady who bought it saying she’s unhappy with the size:

‘Sadly this item is certainly not the usual Sahara size L or a 16 - 18. My fault for not requesting measurements but it does mean my feedback won't be positive since I've spent over £50 on an item that doesn't fit.’

It may not be the usual but it is definitely a size L from that shop and fitted me as a size 16, admittedly only for a try-on. I’d offer to refund but really can’t afford it at the moment. I don’t often sell stuff on eBay and have never had bad feedback or the threat of it before - WIBU to suggest she sticks it back on to get her money back and say there’s nothing I can do. Will it matter if she gives me bad feedback?! Also WHY is she giving me bad feedback - I listed the item as the size it is!

FelixBrown Mon 04-Dec-17 14:39:00

Report to eBay. That's feedback extortion

user1494340956 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:39:01

Hi, I would contact eBay as you sold it and described it as it is also mention she is stating she will give bad feedback I have had this happen and they were very helpful you can request for them to call you back via the eBay app. You can decide what to do once you have spoken to them

CesareBorgiasSkeletonOnesie Mon 04-Dec-17 14:52:33

Ohh I didn’t realise you weren’t supposed to do that! I thought she was just being a bit of a dick. Thank you I will contact eBay.

manicinsomniac Mon 04-Dec-17 14:58:02

But she isn't asking for a refund? She acknowledges that it's her fault?

I wouldn't worry unduly about a neutral feedback (she's unlikely to give you negative, I would say, as she has just said 'not positive' and even if she does, it's still only one. Very few people would look at feedback ratings before bidding).

I've sold hundreds of items on eBay and always refund when asked. A couple of times the request has been totally unreasonable but you pretty much have to agree because eBay just grants it on your behalf if you don't and charges you anyway (total sellers market). I don't get many refund requests so the odd one isn't the end of the world.

I'd be gutted with an expensive item though and definitely wouldn't offer unless directly asked. I once sold a gilet for about £30 and the buyer said the colour didn't match the photo. It was the same item and looked the same to me so, after saying that I disagreed with her, I ignored her. She never asked for a refund so didn't get one. Eventually she left neutral feedback. Hey ho. Didn't affect my life.

Queeniebed Mon 04-Dec-17 15:08:31

As well as the above I think you can add a comment on to any negative feedback - Im not sure though

diddl Mon 04-Dec-17 15:12:16

She's certainly hoping that you'll offer a refund by the sounds of it.

Was there much other interest?

2gorgeousboys Mon 04-Dec-17 15:12:52

I agree, report to eBay that she's trying to threaten you into a refund.

I bought a skirt a couple of weeks ago, supposed to be a size 10 but I can't even get it over my thighs. I know when I buy on eBay that as you can't try on, it may not fit well but that's the risk you take!

The skirt is as described and was posted in good time so I'll be leaving positive feedback. It's not the sellers fault it doesn't fit over my backside!

therealposieparker Mon 04-Dec-17 15:14:22

I recently sold loads of really nice stuff on eBay including a pair of £60 Heeley's not worn but a year old for £10. The buyer sent me an email saying I was a liar and they had been worn and what did I want to do prior to her leaving feedback... as a novice I paused. then I got two more emails from other buyers practically saying the same sort of thing. So I just told them to leave whatever feedback they thought appropriate as I was unwilling to do anything. They didn't leave back feedback, I think this is a scam that some buyers do.

19lottie82 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:14:22

It’s not feedback extortion.

If she requests a return on the basis of the item being misdescribed you will have to accept it.

ToadOfSadness Mon 04-Dec-17 15:14:53

Agree, report for feedback extortion, she is probably angling for a refund and to keep the item.
I would ask her how she wants it resolved (she might dig a bigger hole for herself). Given that she didn't ask for measurements she might agree to return it and pay the postage.

This is why I always put photos on the listing with a tape measure in situ, after getting a feedback once saying 'thought it was bigger' even though I had put the measurements in the listing itself. I felt like replying 'You are fatter than you thought'.

MillennialFalcon Mon 04-Dec-17 15:18:11

19lottie82
How was it misdescribed? It is a size large from that shop, just as it was described. So I really don't think the seller should just accept a threat of negative/neutral feedback when she's done nothing wrong.

ToadOfSadness Mon 04-Dec-17 15:18:20

True if she opens a case you will have to accept it, if you offer first she might pay the postage as she failed to check the measurements. Assume there was a size label? (I also photograph those).

IslingtonLou Mon 04-Dec-17 15:18:50

She mentioned feedback so she automatically ruined any credibility she may have had - eBay would consider this feedback extortion and close the case in your favour

OnionKnight Mon 04-Dec-17 15:23:08

Are you a private seller OP?

I was told in a similar thread last week that private sellers don't have to refund, however I don't know how true that is because I had a seller simply change their mind once and Ebay forced me to refund.

Tara336 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:25:11

I'm wary of selling on eBay after dealing with a couple of dodgy people. One was my old iPad he claimed it wasn't working when he got it (it was) he wanted a refund, eBay refunded and iPad came back, lot and behold in full working order and had been synced with his phone! So proves was working in his possession! Second my old blackberry sold to a vicar for 30 quid and he actually got abusive over a very feint mark on the screen that I'd actually put on the description! Now I just don't bother.

diddl Mon 04-Dec-17 15:26:56

Why would Op have to accept if a case was opened?

Was it expensive to post?

Could you refund just the item price & relist?

19lottie82 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:45

I didn’t say it was misdescribed. I said if the buyer claims it is then the OP should just accept the return as ebay will force it through otherwise and the OP will have a defect against her account.

Unfortunately with these sort of cases the only way for the seller to win is if they have listed the exact measurements in the listing, rather than just a large, or size 12.

And it isn’t feedback extortion, although I would understand why people would think it is.
Feedback extortion would be “let me keep this and refund me in full or I will leave A negative” or “refund me £10 and let me keep this or I will leave you a negative”.

FuzzyCustard Mon 04-Dec-17 15:30:58

No idea, but I'd love a size 16 velvet tunic!

19lottie82 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:31:56

diddl ebay always decide in the buyers favour in cases like this, unless the seller has detailed exact measurements rather than a general size. Unfair yes, but just the way ebay works.

Schlimbesserung Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:03

It sounds like she's after a partial refund. I doubt eBay will say it's feedback extortion though. She has probably done this before and it careful to only hint.
Selling clothes on eBay is hard, partly because a lot of people are optimistic about the size of their arses or don't check their measurements. It's always the poor sellers fault, of course.
If you offer to accept a return, it will give you evidence that you tried to help, and a calm reply such as "offered refund on return, buyer wanted refund and goods" will take the sting out of a neg if she leaves one.
Have you looked at her feedback left for others?

Travis1 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:22

If it;s within 14 days of receipt then if she requests to return you have no option but to accept under distance selling regs

RidingWindhorses Mon 04-Dec-17 15:35:08

This is not feedback extortion posters should read up on what that is.

She's notifying you that she's not happy and you have the opportunity to resolve it with her.

Just tell her to return it and refund her money. It's not worth the negative feedback.

You should always list the dimensions to prevent this from happening.

19lottie82 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:37:29

Travis1 That’s not technically correct.

That applies to business sellers and is in regards to non fault returns, ie a change of mind or the item doesn’t fit.

Distance selling regulations don’t apply to private sellers, but again this only applies to non fault returns. HOWEVER if an item is faulty / misdescribed then eBay will force the buyer to accept the return if they don’t willingly.

Puzzledandpissedoff Mon 04-Dec-17 15:37:30

Why would Op have to accept if a case was opened?

Because if she refuses, ebay will probably make the decision for her, refund the buyer themselves and take the money from her account ... they really are that much biased in favour of buyers, and while I'd certainly report the feedback extortion she'll no doubt get the usual drone who parrots "it's just their opinion"

All of which is why many of us have given up selling on there after meeting one too many buyers like this hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: