Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - is the word 'Pimp' acceptable now?

(31 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 14:24:50

I am happy to be told IABU - I really don't get this.

DS doing DoE award (Bronze). Reading the booklet a suggested activity alongside piano, yo-yo etc is 'snack pimping'. I know the modern slang use of pimp is 'to improve' eg - Pimp my ride, pimp my snack etc but has it's usage now changed to the extent that it is OK for school service providers to use it on their literature?

BrandNewHouse Mon 04-Dec-17 14:25:22

Euggh

Backingvocals Mon 04-Dec-17 14:26:11

No not happy with that.

RestingGrinchFace Mon 04-Dec-17 14:28:02

I just had a mental picture of children 'pimping' out their lunchbox contents on the playground.

"Hey George! Come here. I'll give you a bite of my muesli bar for 2p."

Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 14:28:50

I work with teens and am fully conversational in 'road man' but this makes me squirm. What next - pole dancing as a fitness suggestion.

Here's the snack-pimping - under creative on page 2:
www.dofe.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/programme_ideas_-_Skills.pdf

rabbitsdontlayeggs Mon 04-Dec-17 14:41:23

I'm sure this started years and years ago when I was a teen (00's) with the MTV show 'Pimp my Ride'. It's been used as a word to mean jazz something up since then afaik.

I don't love it, but I can't get really worked up about it.

Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 14:48:14

I'm not worked up - I mentioned the TV shows in the OP - I know the back ground of the word and it's common usage. I thing I'll go with calling the deputy head ''shorty' next time I see her - if we're sticking with the sad old 00's 'bling' references.

steff13 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:08

What next - pole dancing as a fitness suggestion.

There are already pole dancing classes for fitness, and have been for quite a few years.

manicinsomniac Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:56

I would see 'pimp' as in dressing something up/improving it to be a totally different use/meaning of the word to 'a pimp'.

It's a homonym isn't it - like
bank (the financial institution) and bank (of a river)
and
can (the verb) and can (the tin)

It's not a pejorative word that has been adopted into different usage and therefore seen by some as suddenly okay (like gay to mean lame/pathetic)

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 14:55:31

It makes me think of the illicit selling of snacks that never belonged to you in the first place.

Pole dancing for fitness is major hard work - its actually excellent exercise.

Backingvocals Mon 04-Dec-17 14:57:20

It is about what pimps do to their cars etc - make them blingy. So yes it's about pimps of prostitutes and how they live. They are not two separate words.

I would expect far better from the DoE.

hackmum Mon 04-Dec-17 14:59:38

My god, I'm a bit taken aback by that. I do agree with you, OP - I realise the usage of the word has moved on, but the derivation of the word is still clear, as BackingVocals says.

badtime Mon 04-Dec-17 15:03:50

manic, are you thinking of 'primp'?

Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 15:05:00

So, to be clear, those saying pole dancing is good for fitness are aware that I am discussing the DoE awards, for 12-16 year olds?

The dictionary defines Pimp as 'a man that sells women' the way DoE use it - to jazz up or improve- is added as slang.

MayFayner Mon 04-Dec-17 15:06:20

So yes it's about pimps of prostitutes and how they live. They are not two separate words.

^ Yes this is right. I would be a bit shock too OP.

Sarahjconnor Mon 04-Dec-17 15:07:32

noun. 1A man who controls prostitutes and arranges clients for them, taking a percentage of their earnings in return. ... 'Now, if every prostitute who fears her pimp is a sex slave, then under Landesman's definition, most American prostitutes are sex slaves!'

*pimp | Definition of pimp in English by Oxford Dictionaries
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pimp*

Backingvocals Mon 04-Dec-17 15:21:22

Let's rename "sports leadership" "activity based slave mastery". That would be fine.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 15:22:55

Sarahjconnor tbh if the 12 yo did pole fitness classes and the positions were based on strength not what looks sexy and it was in school kit I don't know if I would get my knickers in a twist. But no way would be be biscuit pimping

strugglingtodomybest Mon 04-Dec-17 15:29:05

This wouldn't have even registered with me as being off so I'm afraid that it's a YABU from me.

Greebz Mon 04-Dec-17 16:14:31

I think it's vile and it shouldn't be used by the DofE, who really ought to know better. Pimps are awful misogynist men (for the most part), who make their money from the sexual subjugation of vulnerable women and using this word in an attempt to be 'down with the kids' is frankly pathetic. I wi be writing to DofE, asking them to change their literature!

WhoWants2Know Mon 04-Dec-17 16:19:52

I think they could have used a different term, like “level up” your snack. Customise your snack?

If I remember correctly, there’s an actual website called “pimp my snack” which is about making giant versions of snack sized foods. Very fun to browse.

WhoWants2Know Mon 04-Dec-17 16:21:45

Lol, apparently it’s now “Pimpthatsnack” because of copyright issues.

berliozwooler Mon 04-Dec-17 16:23:38

Tart up your snack.

Snack your bitch up.

grin

Sugarcoma Mon 04-Dec-17 16:29:32

Agree with pp that “pimp” as a verb is slang that comes from the noun “pimp” - it’s not a homonym hmm

I’m generally fine with stuff like this but i agree it’s a bridge too far to have it in official school literature.

Also how the hell is it a life skill to make enormous versions of junk food?

Sugarcoma Mon 04-Dec-17 16:30:46

Disclaimer to add I did actually once follow a recipe from pimpmysnack and made a giant kinder surprise which was awesome but I never expected to get DoE points for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: