Talk

Advanced search

Recruitment Consultant

(22 Posts)
jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 06:52:55

Morning, I need advice ASAP please.

I'm currently job hunting, my past two moves have not been good. I've actually resigned from last position to spend time looking snd getting the right job.

So, the history is, I previously approached a recruiter to get me a job. I interviewed and was successful in getting the position. Initially I was happy but after speaking to someone who previously worked there decided it would not be a good move. I therefore stayed where I was.

Now I am looking again, clearly will be making a move as I'm not currently working,

Lots of jobs around and out of the blue I was contacted by this recruiter that I had previously used. She'd found out I was looking again and had an ideal position.

So on Friday I went for an interview, nice company, very interesting position. I get a call to say "they want to offer you the position". I'm pleased but I've already got a second interview with another company that afternoon and I still go. Went for the interview it went well,, no feedback to be given until today

In addition I've an interview for a job which really interests me tomorrow, obviously no guarantee I'll be offered it. But out of the three I'm liking the sound of this one.

The recruiter is saying the company that offered have another interview today that they will cancel if I accept. She's putting an enormous amount of pressure on me to accept immediately and cancel all other interviews.

I do like the sound of this job, it has some good points. It also has some negatives.

I don't know what to say. I'm not saying I want to lose the job, but I want to see if either of the other two offer anything and how they compare?

To add additional complication I've been asked by a fourth company for a second interview next week, but I won't be able to wait that long to decide.

I appreciate that the recruiter wants their fee, but I also want to make the right decision.

AIBU to say I won't decide until Wednesday? Or am I going to put the company that offered off?

I don't want to accept the job and then change my mind if terms are better elsewhere. But I don't want to lose the job either.

theaveragewife Mon 04-Dec-17 06:56:11

YANBU, she’s just trying to pressure you to receive the fee. Your happiness is more important.

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 06:56:15

Do you have contact details for your prospective hiring manager?

greendale17 Mon 04-Dec-17 06:56:33

Can’t have your cake and eat it is the phrase that springs to mind

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 06:58:30

Yes, you can. A few days to weigh up your options is a sensible request, and a sensible hiring manager should understand that a good candidate in an active job search may have more than one option on the table. It is normal for them to try to close you by saying there is a window in which the offer will be open, but it is a risky strategy for them to claim you can't have even a couple of days to think about it, isn't it?

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 06:59:10

Pengggwyn, I could probably get email address for them.

BlueNeighbourhood1 Mon 04-Dec-17 06:59:20

I used to be a recruitment consultant and this is the tactic people used to get you to take their jobs so they could make their commission.

They won't drop the job offer for anything, it's the consultant trying to speed things up as December is a notoriously difficult month for them to make placements so I'm guessing that by you accepting it'll make her the hero in that branch!

Take your time and make the right decision. If you rushed and accepted and started and hated it the company would get their fee back from the recruiter in the first 8 weeks anyway!

FinallyHere Mon 04-Dec-17 06:59:54

Generally speaking, if anyone is putting you under pressure to do anything, I would be disinclined to comply. Good sales technique encourages you to choose freely, not be pressured into something. Your best interests and those of the agent may not be perfectly aligned.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:01:31

Yes, you can. A few days to weigh up your options is a sensible request, and a sensible hiring manager should understand that a good candidate in an active job search may have more than one option on the table. It is normal for them to try to close you by saying there is a window in which the offer will be open, but it is a risky strategy for them to claim you can't have even a couple of days to think about it, isn't it?

That so makes sense! She was texting me over the weekend! Telling me to email her my areas of concern. Which I will do this morning before 9, the company doesn't open until 9.

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 07:02:58

jobjobjob

I would email the hiring manager, cc the recruitment consultant. Thank them for their time first, then say (briefly) how much you enjoyed the process and how the role is definitely interesting you. Finally, say when you will be in a position to give a definite reply (Wednesday).

The above depends on the package being acceptable - don't do this and then start trying to move the salarybup on Wednesday because the other company offered you more money. That will piss them off.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:06:38

I'm happy with the salary, it was a couple of other things.

Resources for development was one, it's not something they can change.

I'm really conscious I need to make the right choice.

This recruiter is saying you need to accept the job, cancel all other interviews (I refused to cancel Fridays as they'd arranged three peoples diary for me). It was also for a very good position.

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 07:09:44

Right, don't discuss it with them. Just say you'll give them a definite on Wednesday.

But are you sure you will be able to? What if the other company doesn't give you feedback and an answer until Friday?

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:12:49

I'm getting feedback today for the second interview on Friday.

The one tomorrow I suppose I'm going to have to say I need to know by Wednesday.

I know I'm in an enviable position but I'm being put under so much pressure.

I'm also a people pleaser and do t want to let anyone down.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:15:08

Thank pengggwyn, wise words

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 07:15:36

Big girl pants. Just say - even if it's not true - you're prepared to lose the offer if the company can't wait until Friday, although obviously you hope it won't come to that. Make encouraging noises about the role at the same time so they don't think you're just holding out for the highest offer.

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 07:15:59

Sorry, Wednesday.

Mynametodaywillbe Mon 04-Dec-17 07:17:58

Lesson learned: don't be too honest with recruitment consultants as they won't be honest with you.

I'm always vague about other opportunities I'm looking into as, apart from anything, if they know you are going for a job with a company they aren't in touch with they will start sending candidates through to them in the hope of getting that commission.

I've also had a recruitment consultant contact me out of the blue to see if I'm recruiting and it turned out to be because a member of my team got in touch with them about a job they saw advertised, so they thought I would soon have a vacancy.

Some are unscrupulous. Some can be good to know though. You just need to suss them out.

Youcanstayundermyumbrella Mon 04-Dec-17 07:19:18

We've waited weeks to sort jobs in the past because the people we were recruiting were considering offers. The difference between Wednesday and Friday is virtually nothing in getting the right person. Don't feel such pressure.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:19:55

Do you know what it's honestly not about the highest offer. I suppose that would be easier. They are all sort of the same role but with different aspects.

All this and I probably won't be offered the other two!

I'm dreading the 8 o'clock call saying "you need to decide" how can I without all the facts!

Pengggwn Mon 04-Dec-17 07:28:16

The recruiter is just doing their job. The reality is, though, they are acting for the client, not for you. I expect they will be managing the client's expectations at the other end at the same time.

Don't blame them for this. It's just timing. The probable outcome will be that the employer will be willing to wait a couple of days. If they're not, the recruiter was just being honest. If they are, great.

jobjobjob Mon 04-Dec-17 07:39:56

I understand it's their job. I'll see what Fridays company says!

FinallyHere Mon 04-Dec-17 07:43:20

I'm dreading the 8 o'clock call saying "you need to decide" how can I without all the facts!

That one is easy, just don't answer your phone from that number... Normally, I don't like people who suddenly go quiet and can't be reached, but if the recruiter is makin ypu uncomfrble, when you are just taking your time, then don't anwer their calls til you are ready and have an answer. All the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now