Talk

Advanced search

Help solve a debate (Christmas)

(300 Posts)
Tinselled Mon 04-Dec-17 00:42:29

Please help me!

We have decided that we're going to have a real tree this year! Yay!! However... we need help to settle a debate.. this happens every bloody year!

Tinsel on the tree or not? I say not, we never had it when growing up it just doesn't feel right.. DH is adamant tinsel only goes on the tree and they always had tinsel on the tree as a child.. his Mum disputes this fact and her tree is always beautiful and tinsel free hmm

I did the tree beautifully last year with no tinsel, went out for a night shift and he covered it in tinsel...

I've attached pictures of our first tree together which he did himself and is atrocious and his mums to prove there's no tinsel!

TLDR- tinsel on tree yes or no?

crunchtime Mon 04-Dec-17 00:43:58

i always have tinsel on the tree
i love the way the light reflects on it and the smell makes me very nostalgic

neddle Mon 04-Dec-17 00:45:57

Yes. Tinsel belongs on the tree.

LadyB49 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:46:46

I don't use tinsel. It can look all out of proportion on the branches.

DuggeeHugs Mon 04-Dec-17 00:46:47

No tinsel on the tree.

just5morepeas Mon 04-Dec-17 00:47:09

I'm very impressed that you managed to get a pic of santa in the act.

Sayyouwill Mon 04-Dec-17 00:48:24

No no no no no!
It looks tacky and takes up way too much space on the tree. More baubles and lights!

I feel the same way about crackers of trees. Keep the crackers for the table and the tinsel for around picture frames

LondonGirl83 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:49:20

I don't do tinsel but if your DH really wants it don't be a Scrooge! fwink

Ihavepatrick Mon 04-Dec-17 00:49:41

No tinsel ever!

RedastheRose Mon 04-Dec-17 00:50:40

Lights on then tinsel spiralling down the tree but away from the ends of the branches then ornaments on the outside. Looks fab.

Tinselled Mon 04-Dec-17 00:52:03

@just5morepeas hahah! It's an app called snap Santa it was quite funny last year if I'm honest! Can't find the original without Santa!

ChishandFips33 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:55:52

No tinsel here either despite DH also wanting it

In the first few years we compromised and had tinsel elsewhere and he had to put it up - he quickly got fed up of that idea!

FeistyColl Mon 04-Dec-17 00:56:00

No tinsel on the tree here

FrustratedTeddyLamp Mon 04-Dec-17 01:03:32

Tinsel is a must on trees

SeaToSki Mon 04-Dec-17 01:05:15

Tinsel wound around the banisters and snippets on top of the pictures. None on the tree (but mostly because whenever I try to put some on it looks like snakes having a death battle or rampant snakey sex - I dont know which is worse - and that is not very Christmassy)

mumisnotmyname Mon 04-Dec-17 01:08:18

No tinsel, but if you have to have the stuff you need thicker stuff and a lot more of it!

bellabelly Mon 04-Dec-17 01:10:50

If you don't have tinsel, your tree doesn't count! Sorry.

Oddbutnotodd Mon 04-Dec-17 01:13:01

No tinsel. It just looks old fashioned - but Christmas is a lot about tradition. We had tinsel when the children were small but decorations have changed. Still have 20+ year old decorations on our trees but no tinsel. Could you have a second (small) tree with tinsel to keep everyone happy?

pisacake Mon 04-Dec-17 01:13:05

We have tinsel on the tree, but I don't think it is particularly obtrusive at all.

ObscuredbyFog Mon 04-Dec-17 01:13:31

Tinsel can bulk out the centre of a spindly tree, we wind ours about 6 inches from the trunk.

dointhedo Mon 04-Dec-17 01:15:42

Thin tinsel has a blanket ban on our household but since DH insists upon it, we have a spiral of very thick tinsel on the tree only.

Triskaidekaphilia Mon 04-Dec-17 01:18:28

I never put tinsel on the tree as we didn't growing up- my mum found it tacky. I prefer it without but I've seen some really nice pictures of trees with tinsel, just think it has to be nice quality and the in proportion with the size of the tree.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Mon 04-Dec-17 01:19:05

The smell of tinsel IS the smell of Christmas. It needs to be on the tree! Do you have kids? It's essential if so. It looks magical and feels so soft. The good stuff obviously. wink

confused123456 Mon 04-Dec-17 01:19:27

Absolute must

pisacake Mon 04-Dec-17 01:20:50

I think the OP's picture is a plastic tree and not as wide as a real tree would be, so not really a good example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now