Talk

Advanced search

To be amazed that a sea cucumber is an animal, not a vegetable?!

(15 Posts)
WellWhyNot Mon 04-Dec-17 00:09:26

Just found out earlier while watching Blue Planet II blush. Am I really daft for not realising before that sea cucumbers are animals?

Applesandpairsonthestairs Mon 04-Dec-17 00:10:19

!!! smilegrin

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 00:12:04

Would be reasonable to assume plant life / not so sure about mmmm that yummy vegetable that grows in the sea. However that is why we all need Dave A to grow our smarts

steff13 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:15:06

I'm surprised you've never seen one at an aquarium or zoo. But it's not that crazy that you didn't know. You can pet them at our local aquarium. It's not that exciting. The stingrays are more fun to pet.

SleightOfMind Mon 04-Dec-17 00:17:57

Have you seen one irl? If not, then it’s a reasonable assumption.
If you’ve had a go on one and gone on thinking it was a super animated vegetable then, yes, YWBU

Titsywoo Mon 04-Dec-17 00:18:34

They are horrible and look a bit like poos

WellWhyNot Mon 04-Dec-17 00:21:46

This is so embarrassing to admit, but I think I have actually seen one before on holiday (ages ago, when I was about six or seven). I was snorkelling, and saw (what I thought was) a sea cucumber. It looked to me like it was rooted into the sea bed and just flailing around along with the current and waves, so I just thought that was clear proof that it was a vegetable blush

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 00:22:02

If you’ve had a go on one

confused

blush

SleightOfMind get off the cucumber before Dave has a heart attack

WellWhyNot Mon 04-Dec-17 00:22:06

Titsywoo grin

ThisLittleKitty Mon 04-Dec-17 00:22:15

I've never heard of these and I've been to the aquarium and zoo a lot

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 00:24:46

youtu.be/iYSbLr-mVkM

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 04-Dec-17 06:20:48

I scuba dive and see a lot more that look like giant shits than pretty pink ones like in Sleepings link.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 09:05:06

Well that's because I picked a pretty one!

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 04-Dec-17 09:11:10

According to some on MN, all fish type creatures are vegetables. Hence you can still eat them and still be a vegetarian grin.

Sea life is confusing. I still can’t wrap my head around the fact sharks are fish not mammals and Portuguese Man o Wars aren’t jellyfish.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 04-Dec-17 09:39:09

I can't get over the fact that starfish are mean little buggers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now