Advanced search

DD 16 wants a nose job

(11 Posts)
bluebellsss Sun 03-Dec-17 21:18:09

My DD is 16 and has decided that she wants a nose job. Her nose has a bump on the bridge and she says that it bothers her. It wouldn't be a massive change but she says that she's very insecure about her nose.
She's very mature for her age and we could afford it but I'm on the fence about it.
Would I be unreasonable to say no?

bambi2908 Sun 03-Dec-17 21:25:17

I’d say wait until she was 18, and see if that’s definitely what she still wants?

Monoblock67 Sun 03-Dec-17 21:28:31

No you wouldn’t be unreasonable to say no, you’re still her legal guardian and you’d also be footing the bill for it.
She should wait till she’s at least 18 in terms of growth, if she gets a nose job now her nose could still change.
And please please please do all the research properly-meet a few surgeons, have a few consultations, look through their books.
I think as a society we trivialise plastic surgery at times, but it’s still surgery. General anaesthetic alone carries massive risks, it’s still surgery.

SantanicoPandemonium Sun 03-Dec-17 21:28:55

I agree with bambi - revisit it when she's 18. I have a pretty substantial nose that was very noticeable when I was younger, but my face kind of grew into it around my late teens/ early twenties. She might decide it's not worth the aggro.

GardenGeek Sun 03-Dec-17 21:31:27

When I was 16 I wanted a tinkerbell tattoo.

Also I cried hysterically at my curly hair. Oh how I wanted chemically straightened locks.

I am now 26 and well the hair I got over, and thank god about the tattoo grin!

I wouldn't pay for it tbh.

ChinkChink Sun 03-Dec-17 21:32:29

Tell her to start saving and you'll match her savings until the cost is reached. She'll be at least 18 by then. grin

WeAllHaveWings Sun 03-Dec-17 21:41:36

I wouldn’t pay for it and wouldn’t give permission if required, she needs to wait until she is an adult. if she still wants it then it’s something she saves for herself and you support her ensuring it’s a reputable surgeon.

I would worry, at such a young age, once her nose is done she fixates on her next imperfection.

Mrsknackered Sun 03-Dec-17 21:43:42

Id wait for a couple of years. If it provides her any comfort - I love the type of nose you're describing. I think it's very attractive I have a pig snout

My friend has always had an insecurity about a part of her body. When she was 19, she had it altered. Her body has since changed and she has to have it redone for it to be her 'ideal'

mishfish Sun 03-Dec-17 21:44:31

Absolutely wait until 18 and until her face has finished growing. Can she contour it for now if she feels that self conscious? Even a subtle change with a nose job can change someone face so much. There’s a TOWIE star who had a lovely Greek nose who recently had it done, she looks totally different now and you see how much her original nose made her features her (in a good way)

SecretRed Sun 03-Dec-17 21:46:47

What about a non surgical rhinoplasty, where they insert fillers to even the nose out? I know someone who has had that done and it looks really good.

VelvetKK Sun 03-Dec-17 21:52:49

I would suggest waiting at leases until 18, but if she's into make up, perhaps a voucher for MAC who can teach her to contour her nose to minimise the bump?

I broke my nose when younger and I swear I look like a boxer or rugby player without contour but after learning how to do it, I can straighten it out myself and lighten the shadowed section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now