Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not care

(43 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 19:53:08

In mitigation I am exhausted - I have worked a 50 hour week, have a 97 year old DGM in hospital 40 miles away to visit every day and a hell of a lot of other shit on my plate.

I just overheard DD and DS muttering and it seems he has done all her homework for her in exchange for her to bake brownies (she asked me earlier if she could). They have been getting along fabulously all day, and I am not sure what benefit I can gain by telling them I know at 10 to 8 and causing a huge row.

On the other hand she finds school work a challenge and needs the practise whilst he find it easy and will have done the hw in 1/2 compared to her 2 hours.

WWYD? Make her do it? Pretend you know nothing? Drink more wine and have a sleep on the sofa?

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 03-Dec-17 19:55:13

Pour a glass of wine. Eat a brownie. Say NOTHING about the homework.

TheWhyteRoseShallRiseAgain Sun 03-Dec-17 19:57:10

Quite truthfully drink more wine and have a sleep on the sofa. As a one off it’s not going to matter. (Not obviously advocating this course every time before I get flamed)

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 19:57:22

MyBrilliant - I can tell you are a very wise woman and I would be a fool not to follow your advice. Thank you.

Betsy86 Sun 03-Dec-17 19:57:31

Eat all the brownies. Drink all the wine.

WeShouldOpenABar Sun 03-Dec-17 19:59:05

Have a brownie leave them to their machinations, once won't hurt

RandomMess Sun 03-Dec-17 20:01:53

Drink wine, admire their genius oh and eat a brownie!

ChristinaParsons Sun 03-Dec-17 20:02:02

Be proud of their mutual achievements

Nomad86 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:02:28

Confiscate the brownies as punishment and eat them all, then feel smug with your dd's good marks for her homework.

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Dec-17 20:04:12

They have learnt the art of negotiation. Congratulations. They will go far.
Eat the brownies.
You can't say anything if your mouth is full of chocolatey goodness.
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. flowers

notangelinajolie Sun 03-Dec-17 20:06:41

Wine then polish off the brownies.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sun 03-Dec-17 20:07:58

Wait until brownies are cooked, confiscate them and then berate for homework grin

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:08:34

These Brownies are DELICIOUS
Hummingbird recipe and very gooey. This is a great idea. You women are utterly fabulous. God I feel SO MUCH BETTER NOW

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:09:37

The main concern is that he's done the homework too well - it's full of words she'd never use and concepts she hasn't grasped but fuck it - another Brownie - don't mind if I do

Stompythedinosaur Sun 03-Dec-17 20:10:13

Let them get away with it this time. Life is too short and your plate sounds very full.

drspouse Sun 03-Dec-17 20:13:10

If the teacher spots it (as they should) you'll still have had brownies.

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:15:34

dispouse - my thinking exactly. No one can take them from me. I have the Tupperware nestled next to me on the sofa and DS is starring at them and giving DD crazy eyes coz you know, they are 'his' but he cant say that to me. It's a pivotal moment. Will he fess up for the Brownies?

SmileEachDay Sun 03-Dec-17 20:18:17

I LOVE Hummingbird brownies.

To be honest, the lesson of “how to cooperate with your sibling” is a valuable life lesson. Extremely so —my sister made sure I didn’t get caught for loads of shit as a teen—

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:26:06

He's so smooth. Came and cuddled me, gave me a lovely kiss and then picked up the brownies and sat on the beanbag gripping them, like Gollum.

Lizzie48 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:26:31

Yes, it's great that they have such a good idea about sibling cooperation! I remember during our teens, my DSis and I used to sneak away into our parents' room and watch Dynasty on Friday nights, taking in turns to act as lookout for parents coming upstairs. That's a fun memory lol.

I certainly agree with PPs on here that you should relax and enjoy the brownies and the wine!! grin

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:28:19

This is the most lovely and supportive AIBU ever. Thanks so much. I was sure I was a bad mum and had to make her do it. Thanks so so much for all the kindness.

MsHomeSlice Sun 03-Dec-17 20:31:40

just enjoy the brownies for now, and bide your time to drop your knowledge of their plans

even if you have to wait until a speech at a wedding, that time will come and it will be good.

not quite as good as wine and brownies, but it will be good!

Nomoocluck Sun 03-Dec-17 20:35:22

OP if my kids got along so well as to come up with such a plan, I would consider that I've done well as a parent.

Sarahjconnor Sun 03-Dec-17 20:39:10

When I did the old "have you done all your homework, have you packed your bags? have you got your uniform ready for tomorrow' they did have the decency to have crazy eyes and lots of twitching. Homeslice is right - keep my powder dry for the perfect occasion smile

mustbemad17 Sun 03-Dec-17 20:42:55

Okay so i've missed the entire point of the thread (sorry OP) & feel I must ask what Hummingbird brownies are? I want some 😬

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now