Talk

Advanced search

Taxi driver brief argument

(99 Posts)
Seaglassmarie Sun 03-Dec-17 18:39:13

I may get slated a bit because this involves taxis and car-seats but here it goes anyway.

Me and extended family were going to a restaurant. We booked the taxi and as it's a quiet road and would only be in the car about 5 mins, I made the call that it would be OK for my 1 year old to sit on my lap. We did have a car-seat but as we were taking the buggy already we just thought it was too much faff (hence why I'll probably get slated).

However, when the taxi driver arrived he flat-out refused to let DD in the car without a seat. Now, if this has been his company's private policy and he had explained that to me, I wouldn't have minded. That's fair enough. What annoyed me was his refusal to believe that it was even legal for me to do this. Even when I told him I'd done it before, he was brushing me off with 'oh no that can't have happened before, no'. His whole attitude towards me seemed to imply he thought I was lying about it being legal. It was just so dismissive and he seemed to be trying to hide a laugh at the same time.
DP went to get the car seat obviously, while I tried to show the taxi driver the government legislation on my phone... I know, high-horse, I should of let it go, but I just wanted to understand whether he truly believed it was illegal or whether it was just his taxis policy, but all I got was that air of 'silly woman, you must have misunderstood'.

In the end, we still got where we wanted to go with the car-seat, but AIBU about his attitude towards me ?

Seaglassmarie Sun 03-Dec-17 18:41:55

I've only not had a seat in taxi a few times. It's not a habit and I was a bit shocked I was even allowed to the first time tbh.

Sjmonroe Sun 03-Dec-17 18:44:54

I've been in taxi a few times without a car seat. You are right it is legal. We were in one just yesterday with my ds who is 17months

ThisLittleKitty Sun 03-Dec-17 18:45:51

I called a taxi company and always check in advance that it's ok. When I called they said it was ok to take my 3 and 1 year old with no car seat. Didn't in the end as didn't end up needing it.

Anymajordude Sun 03-Dec-17 18:48:48

You can't always carry car seats around. As taxis are public transport you don't need a seat, you're right. I've travelled without one before.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 03-Dec-17 18:49:00

He doesn’t want the death of a baby on husband conscience. I don’t blame him. Company policy or not, I would have refused in his shoes too.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Sun 03-Dec-17 18:49:19

On his conscience.

cloudchasing Sun 03-Dec-17 18:49:40

Taxis are licensed to carry without a car seat. However, it is driver discretion, the same as pets in the taxi.

Ultimately they don't want the responsibility of someone else's child on their conscience I would imagine.

MarthaArthur Sun 03-Dec-17 18:51:37

I would have refused if i was him too. I thought it was only legal in a black cab as theres enough room for a pram. Eother way i understand the faff but imagine someone crashing into the taxi and your baby flying out of your arms or getting injured by the seatbelt.

BadPolicy Sun 03-Dec-17 18:52:02

I might be tempted to phone the taxi firm and let them know. It's not good for their reputation to be sending out drivers who don't understand the law.

CaerParavel Sun 03-Dec-17 18:52:05

I would have refused in his position too

kaytee87 Sun 03-Dec-17 18:54:15

I thought it was only legal in a black hack too. Do mini cabs count as public transport?

alleypalley Sun 03-Dec-17 18:56:00

It's totally legal. What if you were already out and he was refusing to take you home. I'd be very cross with that. We don't have a car so never had a car seat

Darkstar4855 Sun 03-Dec-17 19:01:14

His taxi, his decision. It’s frustrating for you but I can see his point of view (and picture the taxi-driver-caused-my-baby’s-death Daily Fail headlines if an accident did happen). I wouldn’t want it on my conscience.

Viviennemary Sun 03-Dec-17 19:12:30

YABU. Why should he take a risk. He erred on the side of caution. So you should complain to the company who gave you wrong information.

Ermm Sun 03-Dec-17 19:13:51

You are annoyed that a taxi driver was more concerned than you about the safety of your child? And pulled out your mobile to make the point that it wasn't illegal.

Wonder what his AIBU would look like??

Witchend Sun 03-Dec-17 19:20:02

I thought you weren't allowed to hold them, they had to be in their own seat.

confusedlittleone Sun 03-Dec-17 19:22:54

Tbh he sounds as if he cares more about his child's safety then you... just because somethings legal doesn't mean it's safe or a good idea

JonSnowsWife Sun 03-Dec-17 19:26:47

Well technically you're both right.

It is legal to carry without a car seat but it is at the drivers discretion.

We had a similar problem earlier this year when DD broke her foot. She was / is 11 but is very tall for her age. She had the huge boot thing on so couldn't walk home and quite literally needed the extra leg room of the front seat (long legs and big camboot thing). Some drivers would happily let her sit in the front as only s short distance, some would refuse point blank. I didn't blame them either way.

Your taxi driver didn't want that on his conscience OP and that's fair enough.

superking Sun 03-Dec-17 19:26:59

Good for him.

EggysMom Sun 03-Dec-17 19:27:31

Applies to both taxis and private hire mini-cabs.

Link to UK guidance on matter: www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

JonSnowsWife Sun 03-Dec-17 19:28:43

I thought it was only legal in a black hack too

No. Legal in any taxi company licensed to carry basically. That includes your local ones, I.e Birmingham cars.

DrussIsTheLegend Sun 03-Dec-17 19:34:22

Desire you being legally right I'd have done the same as the taxi driver and refused to take you without a seat.

However I wouldn't have tried to hide behind the non-existent law...although he may use this as an excuse because it's easier than trying to explain to people than a moral reason.

cloudchasing Sun 03-Dec-17 19:49:34

There has to be a little room for manoeuvre sometimes in these situations, on both sides. I can understand why you would be frustrated, but taxi drivers are allowed to have objections to certain things. Believe me, they're as keen to finish the job as you are.

Seaglassmarie Sun 03-Dec-17 19:51:20

I would have been perfectly fine with it if he had explained why he was saying no. If it was company policy or at his own discretion... But he didn't, he said you couldn't do that and basically implied I was making it up. That's was pissed me off, not that he asked me to use a seat.

I can accept I was being U to not use a seat in the taxi, but just feel it would have gone a lot smoother if he could have explained himself instead of dismissing me so bluntly.

I don't drive so don't own a seat, luckily MIL did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now