Talk

Advanced search

Are OTT Outdoor Christmas Lights tacky?

(18 Posts)
JustHope Sun 03-Dec-17 16:26:07

The people who live opposite have spent the weekend decorating the outside of their house and garden for Christmas. By the looks of things we are heading for something that looks like National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. I don’t mind the lights and giant reindeer too much but the laser light show projected onto their house reflects on our TV and is a bit annoying. This is not being done for a charity just a love for the festive season. Don’t get me wrong I like pretty lights but apart from being annoying this seems excessive and maybe a bit tacky. AIBU?

RavingRoo Sun 03-Dec-17 16:26:55

Yabu. I love Christmas lights

MumGoneMild Sun 03-Dec-17 16:27:09

If you can't be tacky at Christmas then when can you be?

Lollipop30 Sun 03-Dec-17 16:28:05

Yep really really tacky.

Jayfee Sun 03-Dec-17 16:28:08

yabu..bah humbug!!

Sirzy Sun 03-Dec-17 16:28:43

Nothing wrong with a bit of tack at Christmas!

MaisyPops Sun 03-Dec-17 16:29:18

I like some lights.

I hate the excessive laser displays, inflatable santas and snowmans, lots of colours, flashing lights etc. I wouldn't say they're tacky but I do think they are obtrusive and show no consideration for others.

Ifailed Sun 03-Dec-17 16:30:06

Tacky or not, they are a waste of electricity which is still produced by burning fossil fuels.

RoseWhiteTips Sun 03-Dec-17 16:31:02

Yes, they are utterly tacky.

lionguard Sun 03-Dec-17 16:32:11

Tacky and fabulous fsmile

MrsPicklesonSmythe Sun 03-Dec-17 16:33:37

Who cares?! I don't think a bit of Christmas tack is a bad thing at all.

Insomnibrat Sun 03-Dec-17 16:33:46

There's no way i'd waste my money buying, storing and powering the damn things but they don't offend me.

RaspberryOverload Sun 03-Dec-17 16:34:42

We've got a neighbour opposite who's decked his house a little, but nothing too much.

I'd have a few icicle type lights if I could afford the additional electricity, but otherwise I don't do the tacky stuff.

We have a few houses in town who do go overboard. One is well known for using the lights to raise funds for charity, the others just do it because they can.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 03-Dec-17 16:40:03

There’s a house near me (I’m in Canada) that does light and music shows every 45 minutes or so during the evening. You tune in to a particular radio frequency to hear the music. He raises a lot of money for local charities. A local church puts on an annual bus tour to go round town looking at the best decorated houses. It’s become a Christmas tradition.

Gizlotsmum Sun 03-Dec-17 16:40:03

Aw I love seeing really decorated houses ( in fact a Christmas tradition is driving round and finding them with the kids) Hoping to start getting some ourselves this year...

Allthetuppences Sun 03-Dec-17 16:40:27

By definition anything over the top, is! But standards vary. I think all outside non commercial (and most commercial) look tacky but they seem popular. Some local to me have even already got displays going on. Madness.

timeisnotaline Sun 03-Dec-17 16:41:49

Yes but it's Christmas and great fun to see other people's efforts!

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Sun 03-Dec-17 16:49:02

Of course it's tacky! That's the point! I think our house is possibly the tackiest on the street but it makes everyone smile.

Electricity wise....The smart meter indicates that it is costing us an extra couple of pounds at most over the Christmas period. All LED bulbs and on timers. Some of the outdoor ones are actually solar powered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now