Talk

Advanced search

Don't confiscate things bought with pocket money?

(11 Posts)
BetaCarotene Sun 03-Dec-17 15:47:43

My (five year old) son gets £1 a week pocket money, and usually saves it up. This week we were out shopping so he was allowed to spend it. He bought himself some sweet popcorn, but didn't immediately open it. He went on to be a bit naughty, so DH decided to confiscate the popcorn.

DS went on to be more whiney and naughty later (unrelated to popcorn confiscation) and DH told him the popcorn would be thrown out if he does not behave. I don't think this is fair - DS bought it with his own money. Doesn't taking it away teach him confusing things about personal property?

bridgetreilly Sun 03-Dec-17 15:52:36

I don't think it should be thrown out, but perfectly fine to confiscate until tomorrow.

ASmallBlueberry Sun 03-Dec-17 15:54:13

No I agree with you OP - not fair! If he bought it it's his 'property' effectively 🙂

Sirzy Sun 03-Dec-17 15:55:22

I wouldn’t bin it but can’t get worked up with the taking it away for a short while.

Surely anything you give him is “his” so by your logic nothing can be confiscated. Or restricted.

GreenTulips Sun 03-Dec-17 15:55:41

Well anything he owns will either be a gift or brought with his money - what did you suggest he do instead?

scottishdiem Sun 03-Dec-17 15:59:20

Well this is an odd strategy.

All the gifts you have given him and will give him are out of bounds as they are now his personal property? That will set you up for conflict in future surely?

Aridane Sun 03-Dec-17 16:02:07

I agree with DP

BetaCarotene Sun 03-Dec-17 16:10:36

I think its different if he has paid for it as he feels it belongs to him properly. I prefer to withhold things like TV, or treats bought for the family. Tbh the stuff he 'owns' is mostly clothes, teddies, puzzles, books - not really confiscation material.

Nibledbyducks Sun 03-Dec-17 16:10:57

I wouldn't confiscate stuff bought with pocket money, perhaps just say if u don't behave no pocket money next week? I presume picket money is dependant in good behaviour so this week's popcorn is a reward for last week's good behaviour so you can't take it away, the same way you don't take stickers off reward charts....

BetaCarotene Sun 03-Dec-17 16:13:54

I think you've put your finger on what wasn't sitting right with me nibbled. I'll suggest not giving next week's pocket money.

Pengggwn Sun 03-Dec-17 16:18:25

Confiscation is exactly what you're saying is unreasonable: removal of someone's property to be returned under certain conditions. Completely normal and part of parenting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now